Musima Elektra Bass VI Frankenstein (new pickups pg.4)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

Rock as is or refinish?

Rock as is
73%
Refinish
12%
Lace fake paisley
15%

Total votes: 26

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Musima Elektra Bass VI Frankenstein Project

Post by Zork » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:17 pm

shigginpit wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:10 am
Hey, I know this topic is rather old but can I ask about the construction of the longer trem bar? Did the locksmith somehow remove the end piece from the original bar and add the same cap onto the new bar because that's what it looks like.

I thought they were threaded on, but I've been trying to figure out how to get my end cap removed and I'm starting to think with these goldo DG style that it must be pressed onto the end. I was wondering if the person had to use a gear puller or something along those lines to get it to come free?

This is a really cool project by the way, have you been enjoying it with the new pickups and the longer vibrato arm?
Hey, the end cap was simply threaded on on the original bar and so is it on the new one. It was actually a bit prone to fall off, I had to put a drop of locktite in the thread. So maybe they changed the construction? How old is yours?

shigginpit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Musima Elektra Bass VI Frankenstein (new pickups pg.4)

Post by shigginpit » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:31 pm

Thank you for the reply, it's recent, the part was on backorder for a long time - months on back order. I was told by several suppliers that Goldo had not been shipping orders to distributors, so everybody was backed up, then finally it came in the mail and I've only installed it just recently. I was hesitant to grip the 2 sections very firmly (channel lock pliers for example) without having confirmation on the construction, but I may try that now with some rubber between the grips and the metal. Casually attempting to twist did not work, mine is on very firmly and as I gripped it with just arm strength it did not break free from the threading.

I purchased the offset replacement type (looks like a JM plate but with the DG vibrato mechanism) and want to possibly change the tip out for a white fender style tip, so this information is very helpful to me, thanks again.
offset since 1994.