Bought this neck on a whim, unsure of next steps

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bought this neck on a whim, unsure of next steps

Post by GilmourD » Fri May 17, 2024 5:58 am

dbishopbliss wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:59 am
CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 4:16 pm
Nah, there's a few.
Different sell I think. I was looking in the same seller in the US.

Anyone know if these necks are really the same seller? They use the same photos. Maybe coming from the same factory and different people taking orders.

Also, sometimes I see the same picture for different prices - like $20 different. Any clues if they are actually different?
When I was looking at Mustang bodies I messaged a couple different sellers asking them questions and got the same answer. LOL

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Fri May 17, 2024 6:19 am

dbishopbliss wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:59 am
CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 4:16 pm
Nah, there's a few.
Different sell I think. I was looking in the same seller in the US.

Anyone know if these necks are really the same seller? They use the same photos. Maybe coming from the same factory and different people taking orders.

Also, sometimes I see the same picture for different prices - like $20 different. Any clues if they are actually different?
This is the listing for the D&B one I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404882559951

There are no US sellers for these. You have to buy them direct from China and wait. As with many of these sorts of listings from China, they're often the same seller with different listings under different seller names. As GilmourD said, if you message different ones you often get the exact same reply.

Differences in list prices are often because some of the listings have free shipping and others have a shipping charge, but ultimately you end up paying the same amount. The one I bought was listed at $73.99 with free shipping. I made an offer and the seller countered with $68.00 shipped, which comes to roughly $75 shipped with tax.

MrBaens
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MrBaens » Sat May 18, 2024 5:17 am

Looks amazing. I’ve been looking at these things mostly from re-sellers for two or 3 times the price (and not nearly so nice looking) thanks for sharing.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Mon May 20, 2024 10:07 pm

I re-radiused mine to a 7 1/4" radius and fretted it with vintage small sized fret wire.
Looks great now!

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Fri May 24, 2024 1:42 pm

I finished the matching headstock on my D&B neck, did a little filing on the fret ends, oiled the board, mounted it to the body, and strung it up.

Under tension, with flatwound 11s, it's basically dead straight. There's no more play to loosen the truss rod, so with lighter strings it could be an issue, but since I use flatwound 11s on 24" scale necks, it's fine. It's only been under tension for an hour as I write this, so over time the tension might continue to pull it a bit and provide a little relief, which would be good.

The frets are impressively level for a cheap neck, so I don't have to do any work there. I honestly didn't expect that to be the case.

I still need to do more work on the nut slots once it settles in. The high e in particular needs to be filed down a bit. Also, the string spacing on the nut isn't perfect. The A string slot should be a little closer to the low E. At some point I might install a better cut nut, but it's fine for now. You can't tell that anything is off while playing.

In the headstock photo you can see the effect of the tuner holes being a few mm further inset than normal from the top edge. It makes the angle of the low E string a little more extreme from the nut to the tuner. This always happens with the low E on Fender headstocks with 6 inline tuners, but it's a slightly sharper angle here.

I decided not to put any finish at all on the back of the neck. It feels lovely in the hand and I didn't want to change that feel. With the roasted maple, it should be fine without a finish.

I won't pretend the quality of this neck is as good as an AllParts neck, but for now I'm rather impressed for the price. We'll see how it holds up over time and whether any issues develop or I notice anything that I missed. Worth the $75? Definitely. Would I rather have one of the AllParts D&B necks that will soon be in the hands of a bunch of people here? Yes. Will I rock out with this and smile? Absolutely.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri May 24, 2024 7:55 pm

Tweedledee wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:42 pm
Dear Jeebus! That's schmexy! What is that color? Is it CFM?
Last edited by GilmourD on Sun May 26, 2024 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walterwiseman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by walterwiseman » Sat May 25, 2024 12:40 am

Wowie that is nice! Love the colour.

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Sat May 25, 2024 4:29 am

GilmourD wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 7:55 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
I finished the matching headstock on my D&B neck, did a little filing on the fret ends, oiled the board, mounted it to the body, and strung it up.

Under tension, with flatwound 11s, it's basically dead straight. There's no more play to loosen the truss rod, so with lighter strings it could be an issue, but since I use flatwound 11s on 24" scale necks, it's fine. It's only been under tension for an hour as I write this, so over time the tension might continue to pull it a bit and provide a little relief, which would be good.

The frets are impressively level for a cheap neck, so I don't have to do any work there. I honestly didn't expect that to be the case.

I still need to do more work on the nut slots once it settles in. The high e in particular needs to be filed down a bit. Also, the string spacing on the nut isn't perfect. The A string slot should be a little closer to the low E. At some point I might install a better cut nut, but it's fine for now. You can't tell that anything is off while playing.

In the headstock photo you can see the effect of the tuner holes being a few mm further inset than normal from the top edge. It makes the angle of the low E string a little more extreme from the nut to the tuner. This always happens with the low E on Fender headstocks with 6 inline tuners, but it's a slightly sharper angle here.

I decided not to put any finish at all on the back of the neck. It feels lovely in the hand and I didn't want to change that feel. With the roasted maple, it should be fine without a finish.

I won't pretend the quality of this neck is as good as an AllParts neck, but for now I'm rather impressed for the price. We'll see how it holds up over time and whether any issues develop or I notice anything that I missed. Worth the $75? Definitely. Would I rather have one of the AllParts D&B necks that will soon be in the hands of a bunch of people here? Yes. Will I rock out with this and smile? Absolutely.
Thanks! It’s Wedgewood Blue Metallic.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat May 25, 2024 6:12 am

Tweedledee wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:29 am
GilmourD wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 7:55 pm
Tweedledee wrote:

Thanks! It’s Wedgewood Blue Metallic.
I thought so! I've got cans of that for my Jazzmaster build! 😍

electric__ralph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric__ralph » Sun May 26, 2024 6:24 am

Tweedledee wrote:
Under tension, with flatwound 11s, it's basically dead straight…. The frets are impressively level for a cheap neck, so I don't have to do any work there.
Did you check for backbow before you strung it up? If the neck has backbow with the strings off, you could level the frets that way, and it’ll give you some relief when strung up.

The guitar looks great. The neck looks killer with that body. The warm wood tones are wonderful with the deep blue. And I love the matching headstock.

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Sun May 26, 2024 7:25 am

electric__ralph wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:24 am
Tweedledee wrote:
Under tension, with flatwound 11s, it's basically dead straight…. The frets are impressively level for a cheap neck, so I don't have to do any work there.
Did you check for backbow before you strung it up? If the neck has backbow with the strings off, you could level the frets that way, and it’ll give you some relief when strung up.

The guitar looks great. The neck looks killer with that body. The warm wood tones are wonderful with the deep blue. And I love the matching headstock.
I did check it for backbow when it arrived. With the truss rod adjustment totally slack, there was a tiny bit of backbow and I hoped it would end up with a tiny bit of relief under tension. Instead, under tension it’s flat. I was hoping to avoid leveling the frets to compensate, but I may have to go that route depending on how the neck settles in. As is, it plays well with medium action and nothing frets out while bending, so it’s usable. If I want to get low action, however, I’ll probably have to do work on it.

I’ve also seen a few methods for countering backbow and getting a neck back to level while it’s off the guitar. This neck doesn’t need to move much to be in exactly the right place, so I may try one of those methods down the line.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sun May 26, 2024 8:43 am

Tweedledee wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:25 am
electric__ralph wrote:
Tweedledee wrote:

I did check it for backbow when it arrived. With the truss rod adjustment totally slack, there was a tiny bit of backbow and I hoped it would end up with a tiny bit of relief under tension. Instead, under tension it’s flat. I was hoping to avoid leveling the frets to compensate, but I may have to go that route depending on how the neck settles in. As is, it plays well with medium action and nothing frets out while bending, so it’s usable. If I want to get low action, however, I’ll probably have to do work on it.

I’ve also seen a few methods for countering backbow and getting a neck back to level while it’s off the guitar. This neck doesn’t need to move much to be in exactly the right place, so I may try one of those methods down the line.
Depending on how much of a chonker the neck is that just might be where it sits. I have an AllParts TMO-FAT that doesn't care about string gauge, temperature, season, or humidity. It just does what it does and plays great. I also just swapped my Vintera Road Worn Strat from 9-46 strings to 11-49 and the relief was the same, even though I expected to have to make adjustments.

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Sun May 26, 2024 9:55 am

GilmourD wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:43 am
Tweedledee wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:25 am
electric__ralph wrote:

Depending on how much of a chonker the neck is that just might be where it sits. I have an AllParts TMO-FAT that doesn't care about string gauge, temperature, season, or humidity. It just does what it does and plays great. I also just swapped my Vintera Road Worn Strat from 9-46 strings to 11-49 and the relief was the same, even though I expected to have to make adjustments.
I had one of those AllParts Fat necks several years ago and like yours it did not move a mm no matter what the conditions. I probably could have strung that thing up with piano strings and it wouldn’t have budged. ;D

This one is on the chunky side, but not overwhelmingly so.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun May 26, 2024 10:19 am

GilmourD, seriously why do you always need to quote an entire post to add 1 line??

Is it really necessary?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun May 26, 2024 10:39 am

Yeah, it sort of makes the whole page look like a mess. lol
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.