Wilkinson style roller bridge with 73mm post to post distance / string spacing

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
FinallyBlossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Wilkinson style roller bridge with 73mm post to post distance / string spacing

Post by FinallyBlossom » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:40 pm

Dear offseters

I've been searching for quite some time now for a Wilkinson style roller bridge that features a 73mm post to post distance or in other words:
Wilkinson style roller bridge with a 73mm string spacing.

What do I actually mean when I say "Wilkinson style":

I bought an offset style guitar that came with exactly that type of bridge and I'm very happy with it:

A while ago I bought an Squier JMJM and didn't like the TOM style bridge that it usually features and thought I could easily swop it for one of these Wilkinson style roller bridges. This is what happened:

and

This is the lowest position I could achieve with the roller bridge. The distance between the original studs was too short to match the bridge's post holes. Ergo: the string spacing of the Wilkinson style roller bridge (respectively the post-to-post holes distance of the bridge) must be longer than 73mm, probably 74mm. That's also what StewMac says on it's website:

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... ZVEALw_wcB

I took that Wilkinson style roller bridge I initially bought for my SQ JMJM and put it next to my other offset style guitar's bridge:

They are identical and therefore must feature the 74mm post-to-post distance.

Never the less I've seen a lot of Squier JMJMs with that Wilkinson style roller bridge and I assume that most of these SQ JMJM players did not extend the post holes of their roller bridge with a drill to make a 74mm string spacing bridge fit on 73mm string spacing TOM style bridge studs.

My question:
Is there anyone on this board who could manage to find a 73mm string spacing Wilkinson style roller bridge that perfectly fits a SQ JMJM?

Would love to get some feedback on this & and thank you very much for your attention.

Cheers
FB