Database of Modern Paints for Classic Guitar Colors [Duplicolor, Krylon, Rustoleum, etc.]

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Database of Modern Paints for Classic Guitar Colors [Duplicolor, Krylon, Rustoleum, etc.]

Post by GilmourD » Sat May 27, 2023 2:11 pm

ShortyMedlock wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 8:05 am
These pro paints can be custom mixed and loaded into an aerosol. I'm doing one right now using PPG OMNI single stage in a Honda metallic purple color. $22/ per can.
I get where you're coming from... But sometimes I can get Duplicolor for under $10 a can and I know it's good stuff. Just trying to figure out which colors match classic colors and create a guide so other people thinking the same way don't have to guess or drive themselves nuts. :w00t:

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Database of Modern Paints for Classic Guitar Colors [Duplicolor, Krylon, Rustoleum, etc.]

Post by ThePearDream » Sat May 27, 2023 4:36 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 2:10 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:46 pm
I consider this Duplicolor Avignon Blue Metallic (BHA0905) to be a good match to Ice Blue Metallic.

Man... Your guitars always give me a flutter... My wife worries that I'm having a heart attack but it's just love for inanimate objects. More often than not if I'm muttering "Good lord, that's hawt..." under my breath it's either a guitar or a car, and that's definitely applied to some of yours. LOL

Have you used any other Duplicolor stuff that was close to classic colors? I know that orange metallic you used was something altogether different (from The Guitar Paint Guys or something, right?).
The green Swinger I just finished is pretty close to the AVRI shade of Sherwood Green, so it's not the vintage shade, but the darker, more metallic version. It's Deep Jewel Green Metallic . Also my baritone Jazzmaster is a Duplicolor that could pass for Charcoal Frost, though it's a different color than embenny used. I don't remember the name, there is an older Duplicolor thread on here with a lot of that info though.
Doug
@dpcannafax

jimboyogi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jimboyogi » Sat May 27, 2023 4:48 pm

I get Duplicolor spray cans from my local auto shops here in Australia. Looking through their stock acrylic range they have some classic metallic colours as used by Fender, the aforementioned Inca Silver, but also Ice Blue Metallic, Charcoal Frost Metallic, Sherwood Green Metallic, Shoreline Gold Metallic IIRC, and others too. The question is how accurate they are, as I found with the Inca Silver I used.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat May 27, 2023 5:17 pm

jimboyogi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:48 pm
I get Duplicolor spray cans from my local auto shops here in Australia. Looking through their stock acrylic range they have some classic metallic colours as used by Fender, the aforementioned Inca Silver, but also Ice Blue Metallic, Charcoal Frost Metallic, Sherwood Green Metallic, Shoreline Gold Metallic IIRC, and others too. The question is how accurate they are, as I found with the Inca Silver I used.
It's that inaccuracy that I'm hoping this can avoid. In most cases the result will likely still end up beautiful but if you're looking for something specific you at least wanna be close, right?

An odd thought... Australian Duplicolor is the same as US color-wise, right? I know the can labels are different. Hopefully they don't repeat color codes for different regions if the colors are different.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat May 27, 2023 5:28 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:36 pm
The green Swinger I just finished is pretty close to the AVRI shade of Sherwood Green, so it's not the vintage shade, but the darker, more metallic version. It's Deep Jewel Green Metallic . Also my baritone Jazzmaster is a Duplicolor that could pass for Charcoal Frost, though it's a different color than embenny used. I don't remember the name, there is an older Duplicolor thread on here with a lot of that info though.
OK, I added the AVRI version as a distinction.

FYI, guys, every change I make I add a new screencap to the first post. At some point I'll probably set up a protected version of the sheet so it can be shared but only edited by those with editing rights, but there's not a ton of content in it, yet, so I don't want the link floating around looking derpy. LOL

jimboyogi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jimboyogi » Sat May 27, 2023 6:58 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:17 pm
jimboyogi wrote:
It's that inaccuracy that I'm hoping this can avoid. In most cases the result will likely still end up beautiful but if you're looking for something specific you at least wanna be close, right?

An odd thought... Australian Duplicolor is the same as US color-wise, right? I know the can labels are different. Hopefully they don't repeat color codes for different regions if the colors are different.
That I don't know!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat May 27, 2023 7:09 pm

jimboyogi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:58 pm
GilmourD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:17 pm
jimboyogi wrote:

That I don't know!
OK... Some research to do! Do you happen to have any cans about that you can post pics of the caps with the color names and codes? Then I'll see what I can find in the US.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:45 am

OK, it's been a busy week but I haven't forgotten about this. 😂

So, Duplicolor doesn't have any good options for the pastels, like Sonic Blue, do they?

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:25 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
GilmourD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 2:10 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:46 pm
I consider this Duplicolor Avignon Blue Metallic (BHA0905) to be a good match to Ice Blue Metallic.

Man... Your guitars always give me a flutter... My wife worries that I'm having a heart attack but it's just love for inanimate objects. More often than not if I'm muttering "Good lord, that's hawt..." under my breath it's either a guitar or a car, and that's definitely applied to some of yours. LOL

Have you used any other Duplicolor stuff that was close to classic colors? I know that orange metallic you used was something altogether different (from The Guitar Paint Guys or something, right?).
Post the swinger!!!
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:32 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:25 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Post the swinger!!!
Yes, please!

Um... For scientific purposes that have nothing to do with us looking like this: 🤤

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:50 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:25 pm
Post the swinger!!!
GilmourD wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:32 pm
Yes, please!

Um... For scientific purposes that have nothing to do with us looking like this: 🤤
:D

More pics here. It turned out great, if I do say so. It happens to be the same color as my Jazzmaster though, so it can't stay. It's hard to put down though. Especially, only weighing 6-1/2 lbs!

Funnily enough, my first guitar's current finish is the exact same color actually. Like, I used the same Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green Metallic color. It was my first attempt at a lacquer re-fin and isn't quite so nice. I did a decent job, but the finished body spent a year, in a hot garage, between two cardboard boxes, while I was in Afghanistan (2003). Anyway, here's my 20+ year old, backyard Duplicolor re-fin, in Deep Jewel Green Metallic over faux marble.

Doug
@dpcannafax

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:38 am

Will these duplicolor + clear coats actually weather check?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:02 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:38 am
Will these duplicolor + clear coats actually weather check?
Since they are acrylic lacquer, like (not exactly just like but like) Fender used for colors that were branded Lucite, they will.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:10 am

None of my Duplicolor finishes have developed any checking on their own and I haven't tried to make them check. I do have two guitars that I finished, using color from automotivetouchup.com and those are completely checked.
Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:18 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:10 am
None of my Duplicolor finishes have developed any checking on their own and I haven't tried to make them check. I do have two guitars that I finished, using color from automotivetouchup.com and those are completely checked.
Interesting. I have had some SUUUUUUPER minor checking on a couple of my more beat-up looking finishes that are almost 20 years old, but these guitars also spend most of their time in my house. I need a band...