Anybody here try a French Polish finish?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ShortyMedlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anybody here try a French Polish finish?

Post by ShortyMedlock » Sun May 14, 2023 3:04 pm

I have been struggling with finding the finish I want to use on my Jaguar project.

I have wanted a Candy Red Jag since I first laid eyes on one at the Fender dealer in Milwaukee in 1964.

I walked out with a Dakota red Duo Sonic for $149 as I recall.

I think I have decided on a red tint added to shellac for a nice color.

I have a shellac based Zinsser pore sealer on my Jazzmaster project. Really sands nicely and smooth as a 18 year old pooper.

That got me looking at shellac...a favorite of my Dad 60 years ago.

I really wanted a transparent finish to show off the grain on this body.

My question is have you done a this finish...seems easy to me. Any pitfalls of issues?

Thanks.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anybody here try a French Polish finish?

Post by Embenny » Sun May 14, 2023 3:44 pm

Shellac is a delicate finish that wears a lot with use and needs to be periodically reapplied. Nothing wrong with it, and it's very easy to work with, but it's not what I picture as an "electric guitar finish." It's more popular with things like classical guitars that are handled extremely gently.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ShortyMedlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ShortyMedlock » Sun May 14, 2023 5:45 pm

But shellac is very easy to repair if damaged...just brush/dab/spray the damaged area.

My Dad refinished some tables that way before we ever heard of fancy spray jobs.

I handle my stuff pretty gently as a rule... Can't remember the last time I damaged a guitar.

When I was playing bars, etc. 30 years ago I had some nice equipment and it was always a chore to keep it nice. Now it is pretty easy.
Last edited by ShortyMedlock on Mon May 15, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skeet-1969
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Skeet-1969 » Mon May 15, 2023 5:17 am

I used the "French Polish" application technique with Tru-Oil. (I used to do the same with rifle stocks).
It works really nice, and is easy to apply cleanly.
Mike B
"We never play anything the same way once!" - Shelly Manne

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Mon May 15, 2023 5:16 pm

That's a beautiful Tele, Skeet! I too, have done quite a few gunstocks with Tru Oil......and a few guitar necks. Great product to work with. (those saddles look odd for intonation tho :) )

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Mon May 15, 2023 9:32 pm

If you really build up a shellac finish, it doesn't behave that differently from a lacquer finish (until you spill a glass of bourbon on it). The issue is, shellac can make your guitar look like an old piece of furniture, depending on the wood. I like it on ash and mahogany, not so much on darker / browner woods like walnut and black limba.

Those two basses were commissioned by the same customer who wanted shellac finishes (he's a classical guitar player). He loves them both and that's what he asked for, so that fills the brief, but I wasn't as keen on the limba one (fretless) as I was on the mahogany / bosse (fretted):

The trick with shellac is drying times. You can slap it on but building up your finish over a period of two weeks will ensure that all the alcohol at the bottom has evaporated. When it is thick & dry enough, you can wet sand it (with mineral spirits) & polish it like you would a nitro finish.

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Tue May 16, 2023 12:34 am

Scratch and control plates on my Marauder are shellac finished.
Will do a body one day. I also French polished a few tabletops around the house that were looking a bit tatty. With a few more to go.
Once it has set it is as hard as nitro and much nicer looking than oiled finishes - but obvs. don't spill alcohol on it.

Before French polish

After

I used "light" shellac on the birdseye maple scratchplate and a mixture of light and dark on the walnut control plates.

First coat was applied with a brush. Second used the "pad" rubbing method over about a month.

eternal learner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eternal learner » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:36 pm

About 20 years ago I did a two day French Polishing course, used shellac for a few antique items. I wanted to do a neck in the stuff, Mascis Jazzmaster, but it took about three attempts of laborious work then out of frustration and failure rubbed it all off. Went with a small bottle of Tru Oil and got a beautiful result over four simple rub it in applications. I have since used Tru Oil for a couple of timber handles I have fitted to a pair of fretting crowning files. I became a convert .

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:19 am

I've not, but have always wanted to. It seems it'd be the best sounding finish ever. Do let us know if decide to go for it. I'm sure it would look stunning. But I'd be surprised if it did not add to the sound ....
Good luck!