What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Gordon » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:28 am

epizootics wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:51 pm
I guess it depends on the types of dyes you use but the risk is very low. If it does darken it some you can take a Q-tip with alcohol and rub most of it out. The light sanding you'll have to do after the dye should take care of whatever's left on the binding. But I'd still make a test on a scrap piece of the binding (or on a spot near the top of the biding on the side, where you can scrape it easily without touching the wood if you don't have a scrap piece), just in case. :)
Good to know, thanks! :)
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Paul_Valentine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Paul_Valentine » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:35 pm

I recently made pickguard for Jaguar with Firebird pickup in the bridge position and lipstick in neck. It was first time I cut it by myself and also firs time using laser cutter. I have accesse to laser cutter in digital workshop. So, it won't be my last pickguard.

My offsets are Parts lefty Jaguar, Super Sonic and DIY Mandocello

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:21 pm

Paul_Valentine wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:35 pm
I recently made pickguard for Jaguar with Firebird pickup in the bridge position and lipstick in neck. It was first time I cut it by myself and also firs time using laser cutter. I have accesse to laser cutter in digital workshop. So, it won't be my last pickguard.

Hey that's COOL! I'd love to hear that guitar. Everyone keeps freaking out about Firebird pick ups but I myself have not heard them in person.

thephza
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thephza » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:15 pm

Okay, this is not even remotely a guitar, but it's on my bench because I wanted to learn more about piezos. It's an Apprehension Engine and The Bike-inspired little noisemaker made mostly out of spare parts. Image below and here's a link to a sound clip.

straightblues
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by straightblues » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:55 pm

jazz&tele22 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:56 am
Wow. Beautiful.

How are the pickups?
The pickups are cool They are different for sure. Here are a couple video so you can hear what they sound like.

Here is a video with clean tones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsq4025ALvo

Here is a video with gain tones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3grrHHyLqM

straightblues
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by straightblues » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:01 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:53 pm
straightblues wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:06 pm
BEAUTIFUL!! Intermark inspired??
It is actually a Fender Meteora. But in looking at Intermark guitars, it sure looks like it could be Fenders inspiration. I used the Ronin guitars headstock design. I think the normal Strat headstock design Fender used just looks totally out of place.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:29 pm

straightblues wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:01 pm
OffYourFace wrote:

It is actually a Fender Meteora. But in looking at Intermark guitars, it sure looks like it could be Fenders inspiration. I used the Ronin guitars headstock design. I think the normal Strat headstock design Fender used just looks totally out of place.
Ahh ok. The headstock shape kind of reminded me of the Intermark Cipher as well but I can only see the back of it at an angle.
I saw a Meteora in person for the first time the other day and yeah, the headstock looks off. It's a weird guitar and I wasn't into it. It'll probably be a cult classic in 10 years.

Paul_Valentine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Paul_Valentine » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:54 am

DeathJag wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:21 pm
Paul_Valentine wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:35 pm
Hey that's COOL! I'd love to hear that guitar. Everyone keeps freaking out about Firebird pick ups but I myself have not heard them in person.
I will send you recordings of my guitar. If you want? I recorded few little tracks to do before/ after comparation with PAF-style humbucker I have had in the guitar before. I even took measurements to set up the guitar same way.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:25 am

Gordon wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:35 am
I have a question which doesn't deserve a whole thread, methink, so here it goes: when dying a body (black), would you need to mask the binding (white), or the risk of it darkening is low/inexistant, being plastic? :ph34r: Thanks for your feedback.
you better mask the binding first and dye after ,this way you have less sanding ,scraping if the dye go on binding ,normally plastic don't dye at cold but depend of your product ,if the dye contains acetone ,and the binding is acetate there is a risk to colour the surface but nothing than sanding and scraping will otate ,but it is a way to learn to mask binding if one day you make wood binding (mapple for example) who dye easy

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:27 am

straightblues wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:01 pm
OffYourFace wrote:
straightblues wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:06 pm
really beatifull interpretation of meteora ,real better than fender one ;)

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:38 am

ludobag1 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:25 am
you better mask the binding first and dye after ,this way you have less sanding ,scraping if the dye go on binding ,normally plastic don't dye at cold but depend of your product ,if the dye contains acetone ,and the binding is acetate there is a risk to colour the surface but nothing than sanding and scraping will otate ,but it is a way to learn to mask binding if one day you make wood binding (mapple for example) who dye easy
Merci! :)
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Paul_Valentine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Paul_Valentine » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:54 am

Finally, I had time to do makeover to my Jag. I wanted brighter sound and fall in love with sounds of Firebird pickups and Lipstick pickups. Also last year was 60th anniversary of Jags and I wanted to celebrate it by giving it little bit classical look.

Before/after pic

I hate the look of humbuckers in pickguard without rings. Naturaly, it had to has one. After inspecting pictures of offsets with minihumbuckers in rings I decided it would look better with metal rings than with plastic ones. However, they are shallow and the pickup would stick out like sore thumb. So, I made bushing from semi-transparent 3mm plexiglass to rise it up and cover the pickup little bit. It definitely looks better IMO. I had feeling it would be to much of chrome. So, I got made Firebird pickup with raw steel cover.

I screwed the ring directly to the first pickguard. It hold well but I still had doubts. So, this is how attached ring to the new guard. The body was originally DIY replica of Kurt Cobain Jag I bought from eBay. Smaller size of FB pickup let me some space to fit it nicely to the body.

There is picture how it is turned out

The FB pickup is from Q Pickups and it is true to original design. I didn't realised it would be so bright. I have to add tone control to tame the highs. I also toing with idea to buy another one and ask for more winds to get 7,5k. Which I hope roll of some highs and add little bit output to match my other guitar with Jag pickup in bridge position. Maybe I get use to it.

thephza
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thephza » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:14 am

This is completely sick and I love it. I love the straight black pickguard and the flat humbucker right is great! Out of curiosity, what were the old mini toggles for in the before pic?
Paul_Valentine wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:54 am
Finally, I had time to do makeover to my Jag. I wanted brighter sound and fall in love with sounds of Firebird pickups and Lipstick pickups. Also last year was 60th anniversary of Jags and I wanted to celebrate it by giving it little bit classical look.

Before/after pic

Paul_Valentine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Paul_Valentine » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:04 am

thephza wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:14 am
This is completely sick and I love it. I love the straight black pickguard and the flat humbucker right is great! Out of curiosity, what were the old mini toggles for in the before pic?
Paul_Valentine wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:54 am

Before/after pic
Thx! The toggle is for piezo disk in the trem cavity to capture behind the bridge noises. Black button is for low pass filter (something like tone pot rolled off). Red button is killswitch. Originally I had only toggle for low pass filter and push/push pot for coil splitting. Push/push pot died on me few days before concert. So, I had to rewire all electronics with what ever I found in drawer and without previous experience. I had to drill new hole for standard pot because it doesn't fit in hole in cavity. Once I get new push/pull pot I started to thinker with different ideas and switches.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:43 am

answer
wood
today gluing of the first seam for the little ear ,hope today i can made the other one too