Tonebomb Custom Guitars (Canada)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tonebomb Custom Guitars (Canada)

Post by efiug » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:27 am

parry wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 am
And here's what it looked like with the custom Coromaster body - I migrated almost all of the parts from this guitar.

Sadly, after the wait and all is said and done...
I may or may not be haunted by thoughts to put the Coromaster back as it was :whistle:
:ph34r:

this looks sick Is there someone who makes Coronado bodies or is this a modified vintage/reissue one?

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:30 am

Shit buddy, i hope you're fully recovered, or making good progress at least. Guitars are not as important. Best wishes brother Parry.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:48 am

tribi9 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:30 am
Shit buddy, i hope you're fully recovered, or making good progress at least. Guitars are not as important. Best wishes brother Parry.
Thanks, Tribi! Couldn't agree more. i actually enjoyed all the ribbing and knowing how long this took (too) :D

All things considered, i'm quite lucky with the way it broke (about as good as one could hope). i ended up with some new surgical hardware to add to my collection. And because I'm not old-old... hahaha, I rebounded quickly and was up, crutching around the day after surgery. I'm on the mend and doing very well with my new edge-y, cool guy temporary limp.

efiug wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:27 am
this looks sick Is there someone who makes Coronado bodies or is this a modified vintage/reissue one?
I bought the reissue Coronado (used) and took the body to a local luthier to have it routed/modified for Jazzmaster pickups, bridge and trem.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:54 pm

Damn man! Sorry to hear about your hip! Glad you're bouncing back though. It's nice when major injuries work out for the best though. I once got hit by a car as a pedestrian, and while it did injure me, my height, in combination with how low the car was, allowed me to slam into the windshield pretty much about the same way stunt men and women do on tv and film. You may have got some new hardware, but at least you're back on your feet.

The jazzmaster came out really good! If they were more upfront about the wait time, I think people would be accepting of that time frame if they knew they were getting a quality product. Which pickguard did you use on the body?

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:41 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:54 pm
Damn man! Sorry to hear about your hip! Glad you're bouncing back though. It's nice when major injuries work out for the best though. I once got hit by a car as a pedestrian, and while it did injure me, my height, in combination with how low the car was, allowed me to slam into the windshield pretty much about the same way stunt men and women do on tv and film. You may have got some new hardware, but at least you're back on your feet.

The jazzmaster came out really good! If they were more upfront about the wait time, I think people would be accepting of that time frame if they knew they were getting a quality product. Which pickguard did you use on the body?
Wow. You are one lucky person! That could've gone so horribly wrong :squint:

The timing was starting to verge on absurd... but I think you're probably right. They could only stand to benefit from improved customer communication. It might be a bit more work initially... but i suspect it'd alleviate some of the pressure they must feel. Not every customer is going to be super important and need everything yesterday. The quality makes it somewhat worth the wait, if you can muster the patience.

I'm gonna say the guard is of unknown origin? The person who was kind enough to pass it along was confident it's an AVRI, but the cut doesn't look right to me. Regardless, the price was right.

:)

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:31 pm

So did the hip break and the gash on the guitar happen during the same accident? :ph34r: :freako: :D

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:56 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:31 pm
So did the hip break and the gash on the guitar happen during the same accident? :ph34r: :freako: :D
:D I will not confirm or deny!

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:49 pm

The JM looks amazing - i absolutely adore black Jags and JMs. There aren’t enough of them!

It also makes me more confident that my Tonebomb neck will be good, when it arrives in 2026.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:42 pm

JVG wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:49 pm
The JM looks amazing - i absolutely adore black Jags and JMs. There aren’t enough of them!

It also makes me more confident that my Tonebomb neck will be good, when it arrives in 2026.
I laughed way harder at that than I feel like I should have.

arkivel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by arkivel » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:45 am

That does look amazing. Just curious about the accuracy and fit as there is not a lot of info on tonebomb other than their long wait times. If you dont mind me asking we're these US spec AVRI parts? Was the neck US spec? Did it all fit together out of the box or did you need to alter anything to fit?

August
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by August » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:01 pm

arkivel wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:45 am
That does look amazing. Just curious about the accuracy and fit as there is not a lot of info on tonebomb other than their long wait times. If you dont mind me asking we're these US spec AVRI parts? Was the neck US spec? Did it all fit together out of the box or did you need to alter anything to fit?
I can offer that my ToneBomb JM body fit my Warmoth neck like a glove.

I was really happy after dealing with them back about 6 years. Sad to hear about issues. If I ordered again, it'd be something in stock and ready to ship, or have them build it and link me to a sale page/invoice with pics when it was ready to ship.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:29 am

arkivel wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:45 am
The Coronado neck is Chinese made but to US-spec. It fit beautifully. The rest of the parts are US/AVRI. The only thing drilled on the body were the bridge thimble holes and grounding holes (bridge to body cavity) so no issues with fit.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:08 am

My Tonebomb neck, ordered on August 1st, just landed. It took six and a half months to produce this baby!

I haven’t installed it yet, but have inspected it closely and i’m very impressed. Specs:

Standard Scale 25.5" Neck
Head Stock: CBS
Construction: Two Piece
Shaft Wood: Maple $159
Truss Adjust: Heel
Fretboard Wood: Maple
Tuner Hole Size: Tuners 10mm
Nut Width: Narrow 41mm / 1-5/8"
Fret Board Radius: 7-1/4"
Face Inlay: Dots
Dot Material: Black
12th Fret Spacing: 1" - Standard
Side Dot Material: Black
Number of Frets: 21
Fret Size and Material: Tall Narrow .047 x .095 Nickle Silver
Rolled Edge Radius: Medium 1/16"
Neck Profile Type: C
C Profiles: 79-93 '60 Oval C
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Hole
Heel Shape: Curved
Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss $72

I can’t find any flaws in it from visual inspection, but noticed the following things that are not vintage-correct (noting that for this project i’m not bothered by vintage correctness, but thought it may be of interest):
- the transition from the nut to the wider part of the headstock is marginally more abrupt than on an actual CBS Fender neck. It’s very subtle, and i only noticed it because i’ve seen the same thing on Musikraft necks.
- the truss rod adjustment is by hex nut instead of the vintage nut
- the side dots are unusually large. Not quite sure why.

The things that stand out to me so far are:
Very pretty wood grain.
Absolutely no glue line where the veneer board is attached,
The fret ends are smoothed very nicely.
Excellent rolling of the fret board edges.
The finish (poly) is very nicely done and buffed.
The neck shape is beautiful (for my tastes).
Very nice transitions on the back to the heel and headstock.

In summary, it appears to be a very high quality product, although those after absolute vintage accuracy may not be satisfied.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:35 am

JVG wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:08 am
My Tonebomb neck, ordered on August 1st, just landed. It took six and a half months to produce this baby!

I haven’t installed it yet, but have inspected it closely and i’m very impressed. Specs:

Standard Scale 25.5" Neck
Head Stock: CBS
Construction: Two Piece
Shaft Wood: Maple $159
Truss Adjust: Heel
Fretboard Wood: Maple
Tuner Hole Size: Tuners 10mm
Nut Width: Narrow 41mm / 1-5/8"
Fret Board Radius: 7-1/4"
Face Inlay: Dots
Dot Material: Black
12th Fret Spacing: 1" - Standard
Side Dot Material: Black
Number of Frets: 21
Fret Size and Material: Tall Narrow .047 x .095 Nickle Silver
Rolled Edge Radius: Medium 1/16"
Neck Profile Type: C
C Profiles: 79-93 '60 Oval C
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Hole
Heel Shape: Curved
Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss $72

I can’t find any flaws in it from visual inspection, but noticed the following things that are not vintage-correct (noting that for this project i’m not bothered by vintage correctness, but thought it may be of interest):
- the transition from the nut to the wider part of the headstock is marginally more abrupt than on an actual CBS Fender neck. It’s very subtle, and i only noticed it because i’ve seen the same thing on Musikraft necks.
- the truss rod adjustment is by hex nut instead of the vintage nut
- the side dots are unusually large. Not quite sure why.

The things that stand out to me so far are:
Very pretty wood grain.
Absolutely no glue line where the veneer board is attached,
The fret ends are smoothed very nicely.
Excellent rolling of the fret board edges.
The finish (poly) is very nicely done and buffed.
The neck shape is beautiful (for my tastes).
Very nice transitions on the back to the heel and headstock.

In summary, it appears to be a very high quality product, although those after absolute vintage accuracy may not be satisfied.

Glad your neck arrived and that you're (basically) happy with it. And thanks for sharing the details. With any luck, someone could avoid the overly large side-marker thing by specifically requesting vintage-spec.

Of course, that may add a bit of extra time to the order though... :whistle:

:D

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:54 am

Yes very true - Tonebomb is not the best option if you’re in a hurry, and their comms isn’t the greatest.

However, they are legit and do very good work at a reasonable price point.