Fernandes sustainer in Jag?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Dub
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fernandes sustainer in Jag?

Post by Dub » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:14 pm

Hi have any people here put a fernandes sustainer in their jaguar? Thinking of putting one in mine (i was given a fernandes a while ago , just to save any "get a sustainiac instead" replies) :)

I've seen a picture of Johnny marrs but is there any video of it or was it just an experiment for him.

I know there'll be routing to do and id need to think about where to put the controls but are there other issues i need to consider

If anyone's done this I'd love to see the results.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fernandes sustainer in Jag?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:59 pm

It’s a rare mod for offsets. Although, I’ve often contemplated this myself. I had an Ed O’Brien strat which scratched that itch. I’d like one again, but I’d have to change that neck out. It’s way too big for my liking.

Anyway, you have to have an HB in the bridge as well. I’m not too well versed as to the whys. In addition, the tones by themselves were kinda meh without the sustainer. So essentially, you have to really love that sustainer thing to have one in there in my opinion, because the tone of the rest of the guitar is a bit compromised. Not terrible, but compromised.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:23 pm

As well as in Marr's custom jag, Adrian Belew has the EOB circuit in his latest FCS strats built by Ron Thorn. Stratosphere has been selling loaded EOB pickguards lately, although not cheap. Given that the sustainer is apparently fiddly to get working well, it would make sense to go with a proven circuit/physical layout ...
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 8-2017.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Dub
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dub » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:19 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:59 pm
Anyway, you have to have an HB in the bridge as well. I’m not too well versed as to the whys. In addition, the tones by themselves were kinda meh without the sustainer. So essentially, you have to really love that sustainer thing to have one in there in my opinion, because the tone of the rest of the guitar is a bit compromised. Not terrible, but compromised.
True about the hb I've no idea why either so been wondering what I'd put in the bridge.

Do single coil humbuckers like for a strat fit in a jag or do the cavities need to be bigger?

With the eob tones I liked the jb mini when I had a go on the strat but if I had one I'd probably switch it out for some other humbucker if I had one of those strats

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:36 am

Dub wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:19 am
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:59 pm
True about the hb I've no idea why either so been wondering what I'd put in the bridge.

Do single coil humbuckers like for a strat fit in a jag or do the cavities need to be bigger?

With the eob tones I liked the jb mini when I had a go on the strat but if I had one I'd probably switch it out for some other humbucker if I had one of those strats
Depends on the pickup! Not all pickups fit the narrow Jaguar routes:

Straight baseplates fit the Jaguar routes:

These often dont because of the tab at the bottom:

You can do some surgery to remove the tab but that's a risky endeavour.
Dub wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:14 pm

I've seen a picture of Johnny marrs but is there any video of it or was it just an experiment for him.
There's some video's up on his Instagram.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay