Flying V Makeover #1

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Flying V Makeover #1

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:16 pm

As much as I love my Flying Vs, there's one big area where most of them have let me down - the pickups. While some recent models have had low-output Burstbuckers and 57 Classics, most left the factory with super overwound humbuckers.

My 70's Flying V was one such guitar. The pickups on it were made just for the recent run of 70's Vs and Explorers. Gibson calls it a "70's Tribute" humbucker. They're wound to 16k and are unusable muddy for my purposes.

So, a pickup change was in order. The original aesthetics were leaving me a bit cold though, so I decided to change up the plastics as well.

Here's how it started out. The white pickguard and truss rod cover on the off-white body weren't particularly flattering, and I think it's silly putting pickup rings on a pickguard if you don't have to.

It took a while to get all the parts together...my first pickguard I ordered just didn't remotely fit at all, so I had to wait for a new one to make it all the way here from the UK. Fortunately, it fit like a glove. It also took a little longer to put together than I had hoped, because one of the volume pots died on me. I can't tell you how many times I traced the circuit, measured continuity and resistance everywhere and reflowed solder joints before realizing it was a bad pot. Fortunately, I had the right value/length/knurled pots on hand in my parts drawer, so at least it wasn't another multi-week delay like the ill-fitting pickguard.

Here's what I did:

1) Black pickguard (cut for PAFs without pickup rings).
2) Black truss rod cover
3) Fralin Twangmasters in covers
4) Full copper tape shielding job
5) Fretboard cleaned and oiled

I'm thrilled with the results.

The fretboard darkened up so beautifully and I love the high contrast between the plastics and the finish.

Jury's still out on the pickups. They're a massive improvement over the mudfest that was in there before, but it's taking some tweaking to find the right amp settings. This V is my darkest/warmest/thickest sounding one acoustically, and the Twangmasters don't sound quite the way I imagined they would.

They seem to be their own thing, at least in this guitar. They really want their own amp settings - running them through any of my patches set up for single coil guitars leaves them sounding dark and uninspiring, but running them through patches set up for humbuckers makes them sound reedy and thin. They're in-between, but not in the way I'm used to. My Firebirds, P90s and Filtertrons all fall into one camp or the other, where they play nice with similar amp settings to at least some of my other guitars.

Not these. I was initially a little disappointed that they dont sound all that Fendery to me. It took some time to start figuring out how to bring out their best qualities. But now that I have, they're sounding pretty great. The closest thing I've ever heard to them are DeArmond Dynasonics, which have much more bass and midrange than you'd expect from a single coil with alnico polepieces.

But I have Fenders that sound Fendery, so it's probably good that these have their own vibe. I've started getting some great tones that have been inspiring me to play different things ("Gretschy" things, mostly, since that seems to be the direction they lean). Oh, and they take heavy fuzz like nobody's business.

The shielding job was also worth its weight in gold. The original pickups were so frigging noisy with even moderate gain that my wife actually said, "but I thought those were humbuckers" when she heard them. They were nearly as noisy as single coils, and if I took my hands off the strings at any point, the loudness of the buzz was almost comical. Between the covers on the Fralins and the shielding job, it's now just about silent under high gain. I can even take my hands off the strings without any increase in noise. This is the first of my Gibsons to get a shielding job and it won't be the last. I'll be shielding every other one whenever I happen to have it opened up for a pickup or pickguard swap.

FYI, I used this brand of copper tape:

It's sold as a slug repellant for trees, but the adhesive is conductive (I had continuity on my multimeter throughout the entire cavity just from the adhesive connecting one piece to the next). A 1" wide, 66' long roll cost me $12 CAD, whereas the "guitar shielding" tape from places like Stewmac costs $30 for 18' of 3/4" tape, which is more than 10x the price per square inch.

That $12 roll is probably enough to shield every guitar I own. I think I went through roughly 2 of the 66 feet.

Gibson doesn't attempt to shield their guitars in any way, and it's been a while since I've shielded a totally bare-wood guitar. I nearly forgot how massive a difference it makes. Most of the Fenders I've shielded were at least partway done to begin with, like my Jaguars with brass plates in the cavities and chrome plates on top.

I did an A/B with one of my still-unshielded Flying Vs, and my '66 Jaguar is honestly quieter than that V under high gain, despite the V having humbuckers. I guess my house is just that noisy an environment.

Anyway, that's enough gushing about the virtues of cheap copper tape. I'm gonna go back to playing and staring at this Flying V. It's just 2 years old and still has that vanilla smell to the nitro finish. Between the smell and the new look, it gives off strong cookies 'n cream vibes while playing it.

I've titled this "Flying V Makeover #1" because some parts are in the mail for my other Vs. All the high output pickups are going, and various pickguards and hardware are making their way onto them while I'm at it. Hopefully I'll be able to post those soon.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Flying V Makeover #1

Post by RIORIO » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:32 pm

Man…that looks great!

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:36 pm

Looks 100000% better! and thanks for the copper tape tip, will definitely make use of that. The A4/Letter size foil you can get on eBay is pretty cheap too and easier for large shields like pickguards.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 am

Wow, that is STUNNING! The color contrast is amazing, but the highlight for me with all of that is the bound neck :-* :? :-* :?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:19 am

Yep, that looks utterly killer. Bravo.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:22 am

Huge improvement, visually.
The pickup meanderings can be a journey.
I kinda am in a similar path, but I’m too cheap to start tossing too much at it trying to get it just right.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:11 pm

RIORIO wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:32 pm
Man…that looks great!
Thanks! I was feeling so "bleh" about its looks that I didn't have high hopes, but I'm very pleasantly surprised by how much I like it now.
MatthewK wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:36 pm
Looks 100000% better! and thanks for the copper tape tip, will definitely make use of that. The A4/Letter size foil you can get on eBay is pretty cheap too and easier for large shields like pickguards.
Thanks! I'll take a look for those if I need to shield any pickguards. But I strongly recommend this tape to anyone needing shielding. It's available on Amazon (in Canada, at least) and it's just so cost-effective. I had previously considered trying aluminum flashing tape from Home Depot, but I wasn't sure if the adhesive would be conductive and it isn't meaningfully cheaper than this copper tape anyway.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 am
Wow, that is STUNNING! The color contrast is amazing, but the highlight for me with all of that is the bound neck :-* :? :-* :?
Thanks! I agree on all counts. The neck binding is what attracted me to this model in the first place, not just visually but because the Gibson binding with nibs always feels amazing to me, and they have made very few Flying V models with it. But now, with the darker fretboard and black plastics, it jumps out a lot more. The whole guitar has taken on an aesthetic of long straight clean lines and high contrast.

What's surprising to me is that, when planning this out, I had a hard time finding good photos of black pickguards on white flying Vs, at least Gibson-style ones. It doesn't seem to be popular, and I don't know why. Nearly every off-white Flying V is wearing a white pickguard and I just don't think it looks very good at all.
johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:19 am
Yep, that looks utterly killer. Bravo.
Thanks! The guitar played like butter from the moment I laid hands on it, but its looks (and stock pickups) had me questioning whether to trade it on. These mods have 100% confirmed my gut feeling that it's a keeper.
Chippertheripper wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:22 am
Huge improvement, visually.
The pickup meanderings can be a journey.
I kinda am in a similar path, but I’m too cheap to start tossing too much at it trying to get it just right.
For sure, it's interesting how different the same pickup can sound in different guitars. I've had these Twangmasters for a while, and auditioned them in a partscaster. They sound totally different in the V, though, and it'll take me some time to dial in my amp settings and figure out if they fit what I was hoping to get out of this guitar.

The nice thing about humbuckers is that you can fit just about any type of tone into that form factor, so the world's my oyster if the Twangmasters don't stick.

I'm a long way from making that call, though. I'll take my time dialing in my amp and effects. I've been getting great Duane Eddy type Dynasonic tones from them, which was a surprise, but not an unwelcome one. It kinda makes me want to put a roller bridge and a Les Trem on it is all, because playing that tone with a hardtail is giving me phantom vibrato pains. It just feels like something is missing.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm

Nice improvements, Mike! Looks fantastic! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:01 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm
Nice improvements, Mike! Looks fantastic! 8)
Thanks!

I've been playing this one a lot lately and I'm really falling in love with the Twangmasters. The guitar itself puts out incredible low end and mids, and my initial disappointment in its lack of Fender-ness has turned into excitement over its Dynasonic-ness.

It really has a similar vibe to the T-Armonds in my former/your current Gretsch. It's been nailing early Bo Diddley and Duane Eddy tones. I may end up putting a roller bridge and a Les Trem on it. It's got that deep twang to it that makes me think it could pull off Mosrite-style surf tones if it had a vibrato, as well.

It's a great tone, and one I didn't have in my current stable. I wasn't expecting it, but it's worked out great. I already have Filtertron and Hilotron tones covered, so this completes the Gretsch triumvirate. It's just funny hearing that sound coming out of a Flying V.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:15 am

Good to hear you like your new pickups, never any fun to install new ones and not love them.

Great guitar, but would you mind linking to the copper shielding foil you got the bargain on?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:35 am

Very nice guitar, however i must be visually impaired because i thought the original white guard was more classy. The black one looks fine too, but it’s kind of obvious and brash. I find the slight mismatch of white and off-white quite engaging.

Wish i could find a lefty V….this makes me want one!

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:41 am

JVG wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:35 am
Very nice guitar, however i must be visually impaired because i thought the original white guard was more classy. The black one looks fine too, but it’s kind of obvious and brash. I find the slight mismatch of white and off-white quite engaging.
We all know what this guitar really needs...
Tort.

Seriously though, I think the Les Trem would be a fantastic addition, both functionally and aesthetically.
Create art, not content

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:06 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:15 am
Good to hear you like your new pickups, never any fun to install new ones and not love them.

Great guitar, but would you mind linking to the copper shielding foil you got the bargain on?
Yep, I'm about to pull the trigger on some Kinmans for my Strat. "Buy once, cry once" and all that. I'm done being disappointed by anything single coil-shaped.

You can find the tape on Amazon. I feel gross recommending anything on there, but 5.5 square feet of copper tape with conductive adhesive for $10 is a stupidly good deal.
JVG wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:35 am

Wish i could find a lefty V….this makes me want one!
Nothing wrong with liking something different. I think I just enjoy distancing the guitar from anything heavy metal-related, and white-on-white was one of those things you could find on stage at many a Metallica and Scorpions concert.

Plus, I just love high contrast and bright colours on my guitars. If you think this is brash, you haven't seen my many sparkle guitars!
LVC wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:41 am
We all know what this guitar really needs...
Tort.

Seriously though, I think the Les Trem would be a fantastic addition, both functionally and aesthetically.
Hah, I casually considered tort, but the pickguard is so big and modern tort is so ugly unless you go for the Spitfire/Lavaguard type stuff. I don't even know if either company makes Flying V pickguards, but I shudder to think what one would cost given the size of the blank they'd have to start with.

I'm going to wait until my other Vs are all modded before I order a Les Trem. There's a chance I juggle some of the pickups around once I hear how they sound in each guitar. This is a case of bright pickups in a dark guitar, while a couple of my others are very bright and snappy acoustically and will be getting slightly darker pickups. I'm not sure if that's the way to go, or if I should lean into the natural direction of each one and put the brighter pickups in the brighter guitars, etc.

The nice thing is that everything is more or less PAF-format, so they can be moved around quite easily. And that's half the fun of these mods...it's amazing how you can sometimes swap two sets of pickups between two guitars and get four totally different results.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:39 am

That looks great, always thought white on white was a horrible colour palette choice. I put blackguards on everything.

Might be a bit over the top but how about some gold hardware for a faux custom thing going on?
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen