MJT Sherwood.... now Sunburst Jazzmaster FINISHED (Pg.5)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mikeymike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MJT Sherwood Green Jazzmaster

Post by mikeymike » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:29 am

HNB wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:39 am
Plus I am kind of over thick modern finishes. They don't feel like wood. They feel like plastic. Even nitro when put on thick doesn't feel the same as a thinner finish or a hand rubbed oil finish. I like MJT's thinner body finishes in general and the distressed element lets me fret less over any dings or scratches I accidentally cause. While my work on Allparts necks is not like factory ones, I love how my necks FEEL. They are sealed and smooth, but still feel like they are wood. Factory ones are smooth and stuff, but don't feel like a piece of wood to me. I have grown to like that thanks to Danocaster neck experience and some of the worn vintage ones I have had. Hell even the thinner Affinity necks that are satin have a nice feel to me. If I am going to pay $2000, I want to be happy with every part of a guitar. :) That is why I like to make them myself most of the time. I do have some factory parts ones I really enjoy, but if my fret working skill and nut working skills were better, I would only use the necks I finish happily over factory ones. Factory ones just have better resale and need less from me. I have had a few people get guitars I finished the necks on who have really enjoyed how they feel. That always makes me happy. :)
I think you pretty much sold me; I'm going to contact MJT.

I'm with you on necks, too. I've been trying to work up the gumption to take a scotch brite bad to a neck and see what I can figure out. It's cool when guitars feel like wood!

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 am

mikeymike wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:29 am
HNB wrote:
Plus I am kind of over thick modern finishes. They don't feel like wood. They feel like plastic. Even nitro when put on thick doesn't feel the same as a thinner finish or a hand rubbed oil finish. I like MJT's thinner body finishes in general and the distressed element lets me fret less over any dings or scratches I accidentally cause. While my work on Allparts necks is not like factory ones, I love how my necks FEEL. They are sealed and smooth, but still feel like they are wood. Factory ones are smooth and stuff, but don't feel like a piece of wood to me. I have grown to like that thanks to Danocaster neck experience and some of the worn vintage ones I have had. Hell even the thinner Affinity necks that are satin have a nice feel to me. If I am going to pay $2000, I want to be happy with every part of a guitar. :) That is why I like to make them myself most of the time. I do have some factory parts ones I really enjoy, but if my fret working skill and nut working skills were better, I would only use the necks I finish happily over factory ones. Factory ones just have better resale and need less from me. I have had a few people get guitars I finished the necks on who have really enjoyed how they feel. That always makes me happy. :)

I'm with you on necks, too. I've been trying to work up the gumption to take a scotch brite bad to a neck and see what I can figure out. It's cool when guitars feel like wood!
They'll quote you something like 11 weeks and it'll take closer to 18 and if you want any progress updates, you have to initiate them but that's "the worst" of my experiences with them. I know some people have had problems with them getting the finishes to their liking but I don't know how picky those people were being. I have 4 bodies from MJT at the moment, I've had at least twice that before and I'll probably order another at some point too.

#1 - 61-ish strat

#2 - 65 Jazzmaster

#3 - whatever Jazzmaster/Jazzblaster

#4 - early 60's P-Bass

She/Her

mikeymike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeymike » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:39 am

hulakatt wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 am
mikeymike wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:29 am
HNB wrote:

They'll quote you something like 11 weeks and it'll take closer to 18 and if you want any progress updates, you have to initiate them but that's "the worst" of my experiences with them. I know some people have had problems with them getting the finishes to their liking but I don't know how picky those people were being. I have 4 bodies from MJT at the moment, I've had at least twice that before and I'll probably order another at some point too.

#1 - 61-ish strat

#2 - 65 Jazzmaster

#3 - whatever Jazzmaster/Jazzblaster

#4 - early 60's P-Bass

Those look great - like proper, well-worn aged instruments! I appreciate the review, too.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:24 am

MJT is almost finished up with my Type 2 Marauder build. I need to ask for pics! Also need to hit up some people and start acquiring the million parts...

I really like the Sherwood you've got. And that Ice Blue lookin' Jazzmaster. Is that Ice Blue? I'm like you, I enjoy building my own and then tweaking them. I need to look into Allparts necks. I usually use Musikraft and Warmoth once.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:28 am

I like Japanese Fender necks and the allparts are supposedly the same deal. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:04 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:24 am
MJT is almost finished up with my Type 2 Marauder build. I need to ask for pics! Also need to hit up some people and start acquiring the million parts...

I really like the Sherwood you've got. And that Ice Blue lookin' Jazzmaster. Is that Ice Blue? I'm like you, I enjoy building my own and then tweaking them. I need to look into Allparts necks. I usually use Musikraft and Warmoth once.
Yep, Ice Blue Metallic! TBH, I wasn't looking for IBM and didn't even buy it from MJT, I got in a trade for a MJT Surf Green tele body. I don't know why but it's always the guitars that aren't in the color I wanted that I fall in love with.

All 4 necks are from Allparts. The 3 guitar necks are from Aurora Custom Shop on ebay. They take Allparts necks and do finishing work on them, pretty nice work if I do say so! The bass neck is poly finished from Allparts.
Last edited by hulakatt on Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her

Kingsley Zissou
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kingsley Zissou » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:37 am

HNB wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 am
Eggshell and cream is how I am going. :) Close though!
Good lord, that looks so great! Congrats!

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:16 am

HNB wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:28 am
I like Japanese Fender necks and the allparts are supposedly the same deal. :)
is that right? I always heard they were fatter
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:16 am

I believe that is true. It is what I have seen on the internet in different places.
Allparts necks are actually the exact same neck as Fender Japan used to sell on MIJ/CIJ Fender guitars with the Fender logo on the headstock.

Fender makes guitars in the US and Mexico but pays other companies to make Fender and Squier in other countries.
So the factory that now makes allparts necks used to make the whole Fender Japan guitar line.
Fender Japan has contracted with different Japanese builders to make Fender guitars.
I researched more and found that allparts neck will fit better to a CIJ ... necks are basically made at the same source as Fender Japan's.
You'll find threads here talking of the high quality of Fender Japan. The All Parts necks come from the same factory.
I don't find them to be chunky. You can get strat necks in a v profile or fat or normal c shape. Jazzmaster and Jaguar/Mustang just come in a normal c as far as I have found.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:39 am

The body arrived and I got straight to work. I installed the strap buttons, squared off the tremolo corners and installed an AVRI tremolo with an American Professional screw in collet. Then I got the thimble holes drilled to the correct size and installed one thimble. Once that was set, I did a coat of shielding paint. Two more coats and it will be ready to drop the loaded pickguard I wired. The pictures really highlight how different it can get in lighting and angles. It is definitely dark green. :)

ImageIMG_20220210_145555 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220210_145550 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220210_175951 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:38 pm

Decided to use this neck for this build and do a different one for my Deluxemaster. Decal and nut applied. Custom neck plate also ordered. :)

Image2022-02-13_02-36-09 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:24 pm

Decided to change out the pickguard. Got the body all finished. Just need to finish and attach the neck. :)

ImageIMG_20220219_151306 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220219_151258 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220219_151254 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:46 am

Nice! I'm digging the new pick guard - looks a match with that body.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:01 pm

So a snafu.... The bridge post was off. There was communication back and forth as to if I drilled it wrong or if it was a defect. I use a drill press centered over the stock hole as I always so, but one side was several MM off of where it should be. I sent it to MJT and they are going to replace it with another body. (Very kind and cool of them. I just asked if they could plug and redrill it for me.) Since I have another Sherwood, I decided to order a sunburst one. I am torn between two 50's style looks. I have a nine hole gold guard coming in, but I am not sure which version I like best. (I am leaning towards A.)

A

or

B

Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MJT Sherwood.... now Sunburst Jazzmaster (Pg.3)

Post by HNB » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:41 am

Got the pickguard loaded. It has an amber tip now, but otherwise is all ready for the sunburst body. Antiquity II pickups and all normal stuff components wise. 9 hold gold guard. :)

ImageIMG_20220520_090356 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220520_090412 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars