Brainstorming a Jazzy Boi

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Rooney
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Brainstorming a Jazzy Boi

Post by Rooney » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:18 pm

I sold my last electric guitar 10 or 11 years ago. I've had one or two acoustics since then, but they rarely get played. Recently, I decided I wanted to get back into playing an electric and began looking for something I could enjoy. I've flirted with the idea of a Jazzmaster in the past, so naturally, it's one of the contenders for my reintroduction into the electric world; the other is a Gretsch 6120.

Ideally, my Jazzmaster would have blocks and binding, rosewood fretboard, and a British Racing Green body w/ matching headstock. (I'm back and forth about birdseye maple for the neck).

Right now, I'm leaning towards doing a parts build using a Musikraft neck (do they do accurate b&b necks? I know in the past block inlays seemed to give repro makers trouble) but need help finding a suitable body. I've put together a Tele partscaster before, so the concept isn't foreign to me. I'm looking for something that would work with standard Fender parts/vintage spec. Would a Squier Classic Vibe body work? I'm curious if pickup placement and pickguard screw holes would line up with Fender US spec parts. Or is there a better option?

I'll stop there for now because I can feel myself starting to get a little lost in ideas. I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Brainstorming a Jazzy Boi

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:26 pm

Musikraft makes fantastic necks. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them.

As for the body - do you want something new looking or aged a bit? MJT does great bodies, but only offers slightly to extremely aged work.

As for the fit - I’m not qualified to answer that!

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:44 am

Musikraft has the closest blocks I’ve seen, other than maybe a few small builders. Plus they make incredible stuff. I have a roasted maple, BB&B neck that is incredible. They definitely don’t use the Les Paul Custom blocks that everyone else does.

Maker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maker » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:23 am

I can't say that I have seen Musikraft's blocks in person, but their necks are top-notch!

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:42 pm

Sorry, I don’t have any close up photos of the neck. But this should give you an idea of what Musikrafts blocks look like.

Rooney
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rooney » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 pm

It seems like Musikraft should work for the neck.

I may go with MJT for simplicity's sake. I'm still curious if something like a Squier Classic Vibe or Allparts body would be accurate as they cost a bit less for just a body. I have a background in woodworking and furniture making, so stripping a finish or prepping for finishing is no problem for me. It's more that I don't have an appropriate space to spray a finish with acceptable results.