Jaguar HH setup in Db-some advice please

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Dorianz10
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar HH setup in Db-some advice please

Post by Dorianz10 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:36 pm

I just put .011 D'Addario strings on my Jaguar HH and tuned it 1 and 1/2 lower to Db tuning. I am not happy with the action right now, but it's the lowest I can go to get the least amount of buzzing. Any advice on adjustments I should make to my HH to....

1) Lower my action a bit more and eliminate the buzzing
2) Keeping it in tune longer
3) Recommend any strings that are similar to D'Addario or that would feel and play better on the HH in Db tuning

I should mention that I am pretty new to guitar 'maintenance', so I may not know the correct terms or may need help understanding what to adjust on the guitar. Thanks.
Former instrumental band-no longer active
www.myspace.com/figureoffiends

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: Jaguar HH setup in Db-some advice please

Post by ohm-men » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:30 am

Well, since you lowered your tuning, the tuss rod might need a bit more I think.
just turn it a tiny bit clockwise. You'll get a bit more tension on the neck to compensate with the lower tension of the strings. By this you action will bet slightly higher, so you can lower it a bit as you retune. Not the easiest fix, but if you don't want a too high action, this might be the cure.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:37 am

Hang on - wouldn't you need to slacken the truss rod rather than tighten it? Tightening it will make the neck straighter or introduce back-bow, which the slacker tuned strings won't be able to compensate. The tighter your truss rod, the tighter you need your strings to be to give you the required concave curvature on the fretboard.

Tuning down 1.5 steps on a 24" scale neck will give you hardly any string tension so unless you have a dual-action truss rod the neck will be pretty much straight and you'll be very lucky to have any curvature at all, even with the truss rod completely undone.

Fret  one of the middle two strings at the 1st and 12th frets and see what the relief is at the 7th fret. You should have a gap about the width of a business card. Any less and you need to loosen the truss rod, any more and you need to tighten it. Just make sure you have the truss rod at least a quarter turn past loose - you don't want it rattling.

Dorianz10
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dorianz10 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm having a lot of problems keeping it in tune. The weird thing is that my Boss chromatic tuner is telling me that I'm perfectly in tune, but when I play with my keyboardist, all of our notes clash and I sound out of tune. I check it right away with my TU-2 and it says I'm in tune, so I'm not sure what to do.
Former instrumental band-no longer active
www.myspace.com/figureoffiends

Dirty_boots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dirty_boots » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:29 pm

It's fairly likely that your intonation is out then, especially if you've been making adjustments to the action and tuning. Here is one of many guides out there for setting the intonation, enjoy

:)