Mustang Pickups?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mustang Pickups?

Post by ThemBones75 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:29 pm

I got a MIJ mustang in Daphne blue after some debate and trying to decide do I really want to try one etc.

It has pickups that are non original or the covers were removed, owner isn't very helpful.

Here is a picture, but it will probably not help much.

I see lots of talk about both Jaguar and Jazzmaster pickups but what are some good Mustang ones?

Sonicxyouth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang Pickups?

Post by Sonicxyouth » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:47 am

Daphne Blue is my all time favorite color, great looking guitar! Might be worth checking this site out...
http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custo ... lizJ3o8KK0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:52 am

Sonicxyouth wrote:Daphne Blue is my all time favorite color, great looking guitar! Might be worth checking this site out...
http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... lizJ3o8KK0
Look interesting, they are 100 I guess pounds? with shipping that may get pricey :(

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Just gonna guess that those are straight up Strat pickups. That's what they look like to me, anyway. The pole pieces look taller than Mustang pickups I've seen, although I dunno about CIJ pickups, they're often different than American pickups just generally.

I'd probably just stick some Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's in there and call it done. You can get new covers from places like guitarpartsresource.com, or ebay.

Mustangs don't have a huge number of aftermarket pickup options; I think the SD's are the cheapest I've personally seen, although maybe on Ebay you could find someone selling a CIJ set that they just replaced. Then you'd at least know you have the intended pickups for the guitar, although I'm not sure how good CIJ Mustang pickups are.

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:04 pm

spacecadet wrote:Just gonna guess that those are straight up Strat pickups. That's what they look like to me, anyway. The pole pieces look taller than Mustang pickups I've seen, although I dunno about CIJ pickups, they're often different than American pickups just generally.

I'd probably just stick some Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's in there and call it done. You can get new covers from places like guitarpartsresource.com, or ebay.

Mustangs don't have a huge number of aftermarket pickup options; I think the SD's are the cheapest I've personally seen, although maybe on Ebay you could find someone selling a CIJ set that they just replaced. Then you'd at least know you have the intended pickups for the guitar, although I'm not sure how good CIJ Mustang pickups are.

I may be able to find some duncans on ebay for fairly cheap.
I will start looking
Does Timbo make Mustang pickups?

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:01 pm

I really feel like Mustangs are best off with higher output pickups, seems to compensate for the fact that (especially with covers) height often can't be raised to optimum, just seems like a better match overall anyway.

I had a custom set of higher output singles (and they came with Mustang covers) wound by Rose, for a total of $50 ... I highly recommend doing that.

http://www.rosepickups.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you dislike about the current pickups?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Danley wrote:I really feel like Mustangs are best off with higher output pickups, seems to compensate for the fact that (especially with covers) height often can't be raised to optimum, just seems like a better match overall anyway.

I had a custom set of higher output singles (and they came with Mustang covers) wound by Rose, for a total of $50 ... I highly recommend doing that.

http://www.rosepickups.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you dislike about the current pickups?

Is it bad to say i haven't tried them yet?
I remember that the Japanese guitars seem to be lacking only in electronics normally.
I was getting ready in advance.

I will check out the rose ones I also thought about some gold foils from guitar fetish

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Mustangs don't look right with exposed pole pieces IMO; they just weren't designed that way so it looks weird to see. It'd be like seeing a Jazzmaster with no pickup covers at all or something like that. I'd buy a set of pickup covers first - if you ask me, you need them no matter what - and then see how you like the pickups the guitar comes with. Maybe they're just regular CIJ's and they're ok.

Mustangs aren't really known for having awesome pickups to begin with, so the CIJ's might be totally fine. I've had a vintage 66 for a month or so now and its pickups are pretty dark and lo-fi compared to my Jazzmasters (not to mention super low-output), though they take distortion and fuzz surprisingly well.

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:49 am

spacecadet wrote:Mustangs don't look right with exposed pole pieces IMO; they just weren't designed that way so it looks weird to see. It'd be like seeing a Jazzmaster with no pickup covers at all or something like that. I'd buy a set of pickup covers first - if you ask me, you need them no matter what - and then see how you like the pickups the guitar comes with. Maybe they're just regular CIJ's and they're ok.

Mustangs aren't really known for having awesome pickups to begin with, so the CIJ's might be totally fine. I've had a vintage 66 for a month or so now and its pickups are pretty dark and lo-fi compared to my Jazzmasters (not to mention super low-output), though they take distortion and fuzz surprisingly well.
I don't mind if it is a little lo-fi and low output, that actually doesnt surprise me about the fuzz and distortion tbh kind of makes sense.

I will try to find some covers for now

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:33 am

For the most part, the only difference between Strat and Mustang pups is the pole pieces on Mustang pups are flush with the bobbin so the cover sits flush against the bobbin/pole pieces.

I'm not recommending this... But sometimes you can push pole pieces up and down in the bobbin. Meaning you could buy Start pups and push the pole pieces down to sit flush with the bobbin. Again, not recommending this.

If it were mine, I'd buy Mustang covers and try to set it up with those and see how it sounded. I bet it's fine (unless the pups in it are just terrible). And I would make sure the pickup height was set correctly. Even if I have to change the springs/tube/foam to make it work.

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:41 am

_nash wrote:For the most part, the only difference between Strat and Mustang pups is the pole pieces on Mustang pups are flush with the bobbin so the cover sits flush against the bobbin/pole pieces.

I'm not recommending this... But sometimes you can push pole pieces up and down in the bobbin. Meaning you could buy Start pups and push the pole pieces down to sit flush with the bobbin. Again, not recommending this.

If it were mine, I'd buy Mustang covers and try to set it up with those and see how it sounded. I bet it's fine (unless the pups in it are just terrible). And I would make sure the pickup height was set correctly. Even if I have to change the springs/tube/foam to make it work.
Will be here next week, I will mess with it before I go crazy buying stuff

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:50 am

Out of curiosity do the pole pieces sit flush with the bobbin or above it/staggered?

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:51 am

_nash wrote:Out of curiosity do the pole pieces sit flush with the bobbin or above it/staggered?
Not even here yet :(
Putting the cart before the mule as the old saying goes.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:11 pm

It's admittedly hard to see for sure but it really looks in that pic like there's some height to the pole pieces. There seems to be a millimeter or so of distance between the top of the pole pieces and the pickup cover. That's what made me think they were Strat pickups. But that could just be the way Fender Japan makes them; maybe to save money they just use their Strat pickups and put them under Mustang covers.

egor95
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by egor95 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:36 am

Hi, guys!
I'm going to change pickups on my MIJ Fender Mustang and I need your recommendations.
I like playing grunge and garage rock stuff and I'd like to have vintage sound, but I probably need something with more output, because I play with other distortion and fuzz pedals a lot.
I'm wondering about Seymour Duncan Antiquity II, could you please tell me how do they take Distorted tone?