Really low bridge

For help with setups and other technical issues.
benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Really low bridge

Post by benecol » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:05 am

Hello there - not sure if I've ever even posted in this section before, but after a two year layoff since selling my AVRI Jag, my AVRI JM finally arrived this morning, after its extended Chrsitmas holiday in UK ParcelForce's Coventry warehouse. But anyhow, to my question...

It plays lovely and the trem works OK, but the bridge is set really low (almost touching the body on the bass side, about 3mm on the treble), while the saddles are really high. Now, I know that setting the saddles high is one fix for a buzzy bridge, but I've always worked on the supposition that you need to have the bridge plate itself set farly high to get the best out of the trem. What do you lot reckon? I'm going to give it a good setup with some 11s once I can lay my hands on a .015" allen key (easier said than done in the UK), and the neck seems to be shimmed, but it plays pretty well at the moment.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Or am I keeping righteous tonezz locked under the bridge plate?

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Really low bridge

Post by theworkoffire » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:48 am

Axesrus sell the allen keys if you need a UK supplier: http://www.axesrus.com/axehardware.htm £2

Small one fits my AVRI bridge perfectly.

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:52 am

theworkoffire wrote: Axesrus sell the allen keys if you need a UK supplier: http://www.axesrus.com/axehardware.htm £2

Small one fits my AVRI bridge perfectly.
Just bought one! Thanks a million for that.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Oddly, they've arrived, and they don't fit. This led me to have a mini panic based around "It's a CIJ done up to look like and AVRI the b*st*rds." Soooo I whipped the neck off, and it is an AVRI, and it's birthday is the same day as a late friend of mine, 2003, and has the factory shim in.

Back to non-panicked reality, I've ordered 4 x .050" allen keys (to make the £2.95 postage seem less of a sting) and I'll contact Axe and You Shall Receive and see what they want to do. At the end of the day, it's only £2 I suppose.

To get completely back on topic, anyone care to answer my low bridge question?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:00 pm

I'd say raise the bridge, lower the saddles.  My CIJ Jag I bought yesterday was like that.  The intonation screws were hitting the strings because the saddles were so high.  If you are happy with it, leave it.  I would adjust it, though...
Damn kids, get off my lawn!