Bleaching Clay Dots? Help!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Re: Bleaching Clay Dots? Help!

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:01 pm

:-* Misty

looked amazing with the other guard as well

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:11 pm

fullerplast wrote:
whenever I see pics of the guitar, I remember the pickguard...one of the finest examples ever!

Isn't that the guard I flattened and filed? It spent a few days under glass on my dock....

:)
that's the one!

that guard's been around!!!

:D
Resident Spartan.

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:05 pm

Orang Goreng wrote: Why would one want to do that though... White clay dots look so...re-issue... Three of the dots on my '64 have almost disappeared into the background. I love that look!
word.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:35 pm

fullerplast wrote: Isn't that the guard I flattened and filed? It spent a few days under glass on my dock....
Yeah .. as zhiv says, it's a great example of a  light tort guard. Just slightly wavy up near the rhythm circuit .. if you look closely.
daydreamdelay wrote: looked amazing with the other guard as well
True .. I did think about swapping with the mint guard on my '61, just to try it out for a while. That light tort would look wicked on surf green.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:05 pm

mezcalhead wrote:
Yeah .. as zhiv says, it's a great example of a  light tort guard. Just slightly wavy up near the rhythm circuit .. if you look closely.
That thing was shrunk all to crap and was as curvy as a potato chip. I think zhiv was thinking of scrapping it. (Ironically, I used the '61 for the periodic fit checks as I filed, and it later went across the pond as well.)  I also tried to repair the crack, but when it started to look worse I gave up. Nitrate does not take either glue or epoxy well. It wouldn't even set up overnight!
Q. Are we not men?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:30 pm

fullerplast wrote:
That thing was shrunk all to crap and was as curvy as a potato chip. I think zhiv was thinking of scrapping it.

thta is true...it was real bad, I didn't know what to fo with it...thank god Doug flattened it out and stuff...it worked out well in the end...so good to put the guard back on the guitar it came from.

that's one of the great things about the '64...it was all there apart from the missing tremolo arm when i got it...all it needed was the refin and the decal :)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:50 pm

I remember the pics of it before you had it refinished.. you really did a nice job on that one, perfect color choice that no one seems to go for. I know it never would've been on my radar but now I'm seriously considering FMG for one of my future projects. It's top five on this site and fantastic that it was able to stay in the family  :)

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:30 pm

I wouldn't have expected to like the tortoise on there better, but I do!

Yep... that's a beauty for sure!

8)
Q. Are we not men?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:07 am

zhivago wrote:...so good to put the guard back on the guitar it came from.
Oh cool .. you know, I'd got the impression that the tort guard had been one you'd got separately from Doug. I hadn't realized it was the original guard for the guitar. I'll definitely leave it on then.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:14 am

mezcalhead wrote:
zhivago wrote:...so good to put the guard back on the guitar it came from.
Oh cool .. you know, I'd got the impression that the tort guard had been one you'd got separately from Doug. I hadn't realized it was the original guard for the guitar. I'll definitely leave it on then.

yup, yup....it was original to the guitar, but because of the warping, I had a mint green one installed...then Doug flattened it, so back it went :)
Resident Spartan.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:05 am

dinosaur wrote: I took my guitar in for a refret and of course the clay dots came back clean and white. I was crushed!!  I'd kill to keep them orange and worn.  :)

I don't have a clue as to how to clean them properly.
fullerplast wrote: I noticed how clean yours looked, and I was envious...

I hate dot-envy...  >:(

;)
Logically... you should swap dots.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger