removing the rhythm circuit on my jag

For help with setups and other technical issues.
peasy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

removing the rhythm circuit on my jag

Post by peasy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:34 am

yeah basically i want to get rid of the rhythm circuit on my jag, as i never use it, and it just gets in the way and is very prone to being knocked during playing etc. ive looked at a jag wiring diagram and i think i have some idea of what im doing, but im still not 100% sure on this, so just wondering if anyone has done this same mod or something similar? would like to know if im actually going about it the right way before i start soldering.
i can't walk in a straight line

peasy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: removing the rhythm circuit on my jag

Post by peasy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:29 am

ok so i went ahead and did it anyway, and it all still works, now with the rhythm circuit removed. but anyway, i only got this guitar a few days ago second hand, and it seemed to have a slight earth problem when i got it, not a huge amount of hum, just a slight amount when you aren't touching the guitar, i read somewhere that a slight amount of hum while not touching the guitar or strings is normal for single coils, is this true? or should something be earthed that isn't? the only thing i can think of is that on the wiring diagram i've got it says that there should be an earth wire on the jack socket, someone seems to have been soldered to the volume pot instead, would that matter?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:53 am

yeah the earth lead should be connected to the output jack in a normal Jaguar wiring set up.

Out of interest , after you removed the rhythm circuit in your jaguar does the neck PUP still work ?  Because the rhythm circuit is part of the circuit that normally allows the neck PUP to work, even when you haven't selected the rhythm circuit  (if that makes sense  ??????)

If you totally removed the rhythm circuit (or at least totally removed it electronically) you would have to then run a lead from the positive side of the neck PUP back to the switch closest to the neck in the 3 switch plate for it to work.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

peasy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peasy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 pm

yeah figuring out how to take it out and then rewire it all back took me ages, as i've never done any work to the electrics of my other guitars. All i really had to do was disconnect the neck pup from the rhythm circuit and then wire it straight onto the first switch, then just take the lead from the volume pot that would normally go to the rhythm circuit, and connect it to  straight to the jack socket. and thanks, i will try soldering the earth to the jack socket tomorrow, i think whoever owned it before me must have disconnect it for some reason, strange.