roller knobs binding?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mike_mccue
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

roller knobs binding?

Post by mike_mccue » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:33 am

I have a concern about a brand new AVRI Jazzmaster I received. (Actually this is the 2nd brand new one I received that has this problem)

The roller knob is binding or grinding when you "roll" or adjust it's settings.

Is there a small adjustment or fix that you can suggest?

thanks,
mike

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: roller knobs binding?

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:37 am

if you loosen the little allen screw (same size wrench as for the bridge saddles) you can move the rollers so they don't touch the pickguard.

mike_mccue
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mike_mccue » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:48 am

Thank you,

I will try your suggestion.

I had observed that on one of the guitars it did seem like the tone roller knob was binding on the pickguard. On the second guitar the volume knob has a binding and it seems the serations on the knob are rubbing something but it doesn't look like it's touching the pickguard.

any thoughts about what else may be happening?

best regards,
mike

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:23 am

Wow, this happened to 2 seperate AVRI JMs? That is not good. Fender needs to pay attention to quality issues, especially on their high-end guitars. Do they have a QC dept where people can complain and let them know about problems? That could be something very simple that they could easily fix but are unaware of. It sounds to me like Jonas hit the nail on the head with his diagnosis, but still, Fender should not let a new AVRI leave in need of such an adjustment for something that could have been taken care of so easily at the factory.

If it is an occassional thing, that is be different. However, if you have had 2 with the same problem it leads me to believe it could be a common thing that is happening. Were both the JMs the same year? Have you had other AVRI JMs that did not have the problem?

Maybe we need to take a poll of problems and notify Fender QC or customer service dept. about any issues that occur too frequently. If we did something like that it may bring Fender's quality up a notch or two.

Regan

mike_mccue
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mike_mccue » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:45 am

To Clarify,
I have a brand new AVRI Oly White Jazzmaster that I ordered and receive 2 weeks ago. The tone roller knob binds. There were several other issues that would have caused me to not purchase the instrument if I had a chance to preview it at a store. But I must say the setup was fantastic.

I ordered a 2nd AVRI Oly White Jazzmaster from the same vendor with the hope that it would exceed the first in acceptability, but I kept the first example so that I would have the opurtunity to compare.

I will return one of the guitars for a full refund.

So the 2nd Jazzmaster shows up yesterday and the volume roller knob binds worse than the first guitars. Again there wer other minor issues that would have precluded purchasing the guitar. And the setup was nothing like the first example.

That said, I've wanted a AVRI Oly White Jazzmaster for about 10 years and have never seen one in a store. I travel for business and stop at many many guitar shops... so I finally just placed a order.

I chose to work with a mail order house with a good return policy because my local dealer would have been argumentative about things like binding knobs, fish eyes in the laquer etc.

As far as Fender's QC... they signed off both of those guitars... there's not much I know that they don't already know... it's my impression (having many friends who own guitar shops) that it's just status quo for a "factory" grade US made guitar. Which is a pain for me because I limit my collecting to USA guitars and don't have a full custom shop budget. Our local Gibson dealer told me (I've known him 20+ years) that EVERY Gibson he sells has some issue the customer ponits out and complains about. Which after audtioning many at the shops I visit, I'm inclined to believe.

The funny thing, is I buy MIM Strats for my nieces and nephews and they always seem to offer more quality than I expect.

best regards,
mike 

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:11 am

Sadly, it is status quo, but it shouldn't be. If someone checking the guitar is letting something like that slip through it isn't right. I mean, if it is such an easy fix, it don't make sense. The person installing the pots need to make some of adjustment so the rollers don't bind. Fender is supposed to take pride in their quality but it's things like this that hurt them, and sometimes it is foolish little things that wouldn't cost them anything extra to get right. A bunch of those little things can add up though.

I am just wondering if Fender is really hearing the complaints about certain problems. Most people just accept it and fix it themselves if possible, or take it to the dealer. Now I am sure the local dealers hear plenty of complaints and see problems all the time, but I would bet they don't communicate with Fender/Gibson, etc. about most of them. If the manufacturer got enough complaints there is a possiblity things could be made better. However, getting them through to the proper channels would probably be most difficult. Also, if it is just isolated complaints, and there is no real record of certain things being problematic, Fender is not going to take it seriously and do anything about it anyway. I'll bet if they gotenough complaints and were made aware of certain problems that could be taken care of without effecting there profit margins, they might do something about them. If it were something that they felt might effect sales numbers they would be more likely to take action. 

I know you are right, and I'm not meaning to sound harsh and it certainly isn't directed at you, I just needed to vent a little. I'll get down off my soapbox now.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:33 pm

All the pots on my AVRI Oly White Jazzmaster are shit.

I have terrible luck when it comes to jazzmasters. You're not alone.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:46 am

All the pots on both my AVRIs are great.  The wheels bind now on my sunburst, due to an aftermarket guard I installed. 

Here is what it comes down to...

IT'S A 5 SECOND FIX TO ADJUST THE WHEEL!  Fender's QC is not perfect, but they aren't too damn bad. 

No offense, but I don't think it's necessary to contact Fender about this. :-\  That's ridiculous.  If you have a bunch of flaws, or a big flaw, contact them.  If your guitar arrives in need of some adjustment, then fix it.  That's just part of owning guitars.  For the most part, any new guitar needs a setup.  If that's too much hassle, buy a Kazoo.

BTW, the allen for the roller knob is much bigger than the saddle adjustment one. ;)  I still need to find the right one, as well.  Most of my Allen Keys are metric. ::)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:33 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote: BTW, the allen for the roller knob is much bigger than the saddle adjustment one. ;)  I still need to find the right one, as well.  Most of my Allen Keys are metric. ::)
oooops, sorry :-[
i haven't had a rhythm circuit in any of my guitars for years, so guess i shouldn't talk...

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:10 pm

The tone knob on my thin skin JM would get stiff between 2 and 6; i took it off, and then the plastic off the pickguard and, then put the knob back on and it helped a bit

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:54 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote: All the pots on both my AVRIs are great.  The wheels bind now on my sunburst, due to an aftermarket guard I installed. 

Here is what it comes down to...

IT'S A 5 SECOND FIX TO ADJUST THE WHEEL!  Fender's QC is not perfect, but they aren't too damn bad.   

No offense, but I don't think it's necessary to contact Fender about this. :-\  That's ridiculous.  If you have a bunch of flaws, or a big flaw, contact them.  If your guitar arrives in need of some adjustment, then fix it.  That's just part of owning guitars.  For the most part, any new guitar needs a setup.  If that's too much hassle, buy a Kazoo.

BTW, the allen for the roller knob is much bigger than the saddle adjustment one. ;)  I still need to find the right one, as well.  Most of my Allen Keys are metric. ::)
If we are correct about what is causing this problem, I know it is an easy fix. If you will read my first post you will see that I acknowledge that fact. However, it being such an easy fix is he main reason it upsets me so. Also, if it is something that is happening sometimes, then that is perfectly understandable. I realize that things are going to happen like that. However, if I bought 2 identical AVRI Fender guitars and each had the same problem I am going to wonder if it is the same on all of them. It may not be, and that is ok, but it could be. All I was trying to get across is that I don't understand how it gets through if it is a problem that reoccurs frequently. I mean, if I work in a factory and have a job to do I would be expected to do it right. I think a place like Fender should be even more concerned than the average factory and hold their employees to the highest possible standards. If a problem is getting by without being noticed, or worse, if it is being noticed and just sent on through, then something is not right. I think Fender should have more pride than that and try to get things as right as possible.

Little things like that have really damaged American automakers. Years ago I worked in a plant that made GM body parts. The machinery was designed badly and body parts that were made for GM cars would not fit up well. You could look at GM cars and see body parts that fit well on one side, with maybe a 1/8" gap that ran consistant up the whole joint. The matching parts on the opposite side of the car may have 1/2", or 3/4"  gap, or the gap may run huge at one end and taper until the parts were nearly touching at the other. For years that seemed to be the status quo. It could have been fixed, but it wasn't. I mean, it didn't really hurt much, but it looked crappy. That's just a small example, GM was not the only one. I think corners were cut by all American automakers about anywhere and everywhere possible to try and keep profit margins higher. Anyway, their reputation was eventually damaged. Meanwhile, Japanese automakers were building products that were built better. They seem to have a higher standard of quality and it paid off for them.

I love Fender, and I want to see their reputation soar. I don't feel it is necessary to contact Fender about isolated incidents either, but they might appreciate it if they are unaware of it and it is a reoccurring problem. I would never call about a few simple, minor problems that I can fix myself, but hearing if this situation made me think that maybe somethings that seem simple, and only happening to a guitar here or there could actually be happening most all of the time. It would be interesting to see if there are a lot of others having same problems. I set up guitars and make adjustments all the time, I have been doing it for a long time. I actually enjoy it. However, I don't think it is something that should be expected of the consumer. As you said, "IT'S A 5 SECOND FIX TO ADJUST THE WHEEL!", and it is, but I can't understand how things that are so simple can leave the factory either done wrong or un-noticed.

And by the way, I don't like the Kazoo, so I'll stick with guitar.

frank grimez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frank grimez » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:34 pm

mynameisjonas wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:37 am
if you loosen the little allen screw (same size wrench as for the bridge saddles) you can move the rollers so they don't touch the pickguard.
I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone can help me. I’m having the same issue on my jazzmaster where the tone roller knob in my rhythm circuit is stiff and seems to be scraping on the pickguard. Are the screws to loosen the two screws just underneath the roller knobs on the pickguard? Or do I need to remove the pickguard to access what is being referred to?

The issue started after I had taken in my guitar to have new pickups installed. If it’s an easy fix, I would prefer to fix it on my own rather than bringing it back in.

Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Caddy65 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:56 pm

It is not inside the guitar (only the mounting bracket in there), but a hex head set screw in the side of the knob itself.

frank grimez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frank grimez » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to confirm, it is the little hole on the side of the roller knob and I can adjust it without removing the pickguard?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:17 am

Yes.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.