Jazzmaster pickup comparison

For help with setups and other technical issues.
schoolie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster pickup comparison

Post by schoolie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:45 am

I am blown away by the set of Sunday (timbo) JM pickups that I just installed. I got a Sweet 59 in the neck, and a Woodchime in the bridge. Beautiful, clear tones and no shrill high end. I think this is my favorite set, so far.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:15 am

Does anyone know what pickups Fender put in their "Vintera" Jazzmaster?
I have a Vintera IBM Jazzmaster and I really like these pickups a lot. The bridge had less output then the neck pu, but for some reason it does not bother me.

The discription of the "Vintera Jazzmaster pickups you find online tells you zip, other then "vintage sounding".... :bored:
This I find somewhat disapointing...

They have grey bobbins, like the AV "65, but I don't think they are te same as the AV "65. The output seams to differ, although not much.
I used to own a set of AV "65 (or whatever they are called) but I did not like them, way to harsh sounding even with the vol and tone rolled off quiete a bit. (I never liked the AV 62 Jazzmaster pick ups as well, so it must be me...)

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 am

Vinteras are wound in Mexico. AFAIK we don't have much good info on them. If they aimed to be like the MIA PV65's they would both be 6.8 kOhm DCR and 3.2h inductance (as measured on say DE-5000 LCR meter) - so PV65 bridge needs to be closer to the strings for similar output. Have you measured DCR on yours ?

PU ASSY 65 JAZZMASTER NK MEX AGD WHT 7716107000
PU ASSY 65 JAZZMASTER BRG MEX AGD WHT 7716108000
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:41 am

Thanks Timtam.

I measured both Vintera Jazzmaster pickups (while still in the guitar, lead circuit, vol and tone wide open as I didn't wanted to open up the guitar and grab a soldering iron just to get a reading from just the pick ups) I'm aware this is not "the way" to measure ressistance, but it get's in the ballpark.
and measured the following with my multimeter straight from the jack of a short guitar cable;

Neck pick up : 6.8 K Ohm
Bridge pick up : 6.44 K Ohm
Both pick ups : 3.33 K Ohm

I guess these have Alnico V magnets.
Construction wise they look a lot like the AV '65 Jm set,

The bridge pick up is indeed closer to the strings then the neck pick up (which sits quiet low, compared to the bridge pu) So both pick ups on sound very balanced. To me this guitar sounds like a Jazzmaster should.
My other jazzmaster (with a set of Peter Leonards/Pickup Wizzard's Jm pu's sounds very different, but these have a 8.1 K Ohm neck and 9.1 K Ohm bridge.) To me it seams as if the lower output pickups have more "magik" in them... they are more subtle and pick more "up" so to speak.

AztecGold
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AztecGold » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Anyone have long term experience with the Novak JM-PAF?

How do they sound/work in a JM? Especially compared to the Wide Range versions?