AVRI JM/Jag tremolo part changed?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

AVRI JM/Jag tremolo part changed?

Post by alexpigment » Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 pm

I hadn't ordered a new AVRI trem in at least a year, but the one I just got today from GuitarAudio on eBay appears to be a new revision, despite the part number still being 0054466049. Primarily, the lock button is still brushed metal, but is squared off (like the MIM and MIJ versions) rather than rounded as before. It also feels like the spring has more tension in it, though that could just be how it reacts to the overall setup of my guitar. To be clear, it is set up to lock with no tuning change but not change pitch when pulling upward when locked, so the tension screw is dialed in to where it's supposed to be.

Also there's definitely a little bit of a clicking sound when slightly moving the arm up and down. I can't recall at this point what the correct way to remedy that, so please someone refresh me.

Anyway, no idea when this change happened (the lock button shape), but I would expect sometime within the last year.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AVRI JM/Jag tremolo part changed?

Post by alexpigment » Fri May 03, 2024 5:26 pm

I suppose I should include a picture for reference:

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Fri May 03, 2024 10:42 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 pm
. To be clear, it is set up to lock with no tuning change but not change pitch when pulling upward when locked, so the tension screw is dialed in to where it's supposed to be.

Also there's definitely a little bit of a clicking sound when slightly moving the arm up and down. I can't recall at this point what the correct way to remedy that, so please someone refresh me.
I find the tension is too high when set-up as you have it (the locking mechanism). I'd rather have a nicely feeling vibrato all the time than a guitar that stays in tune that one time a year I break a string.

The clicking sound I think comes from the pivot plate not having a sharp, square edge. You could take the vibrato apart and use a file to sharpen/square up the edge. I also put same bearing grease on, after I did mine. It's silent like the grave.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sat May 04, 2024 12:16 am

DrippyReverbTremolo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:42 pm
I find the tension is too high when set-up as you have it (the locking mechanism). I'd rather have a nicely feeling vibrato all the time than a guitar that stays in tune that one time a year I break a string.

The clicking sound I think comes from the pivot plate not having a sharp, square edge. You could take the vibrato apart and use a file to sharpen/square up the edge. I also put same bearing grease on, after I did mine. It's silent like the grave.
I've got 4 other JMs with the "same" tremolo and same string gauge set up with the locking mechanism, so I'm not entirely sure yet why the tension feels higher. As for the clicking sound, I had a feeling you'd suggest the pivot plate, and conveniently I have no power tools to address that. Out of curiosity, does your trem have the rounded lock button or the more squared off in the picture above?

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sat May 04, 2024 1:50 pm

As an update, I kept looking into the tiny clicking noise, and I believe I determined that the top of the bar was clicking against either side of the collet when pulling up or down (which is why it only made the sound at the start of pushing or pulling). So I did the hammer trick so that the bar is forced to hug an edge at the top of the collet, and that seems to have solved it. With the arm firmly in place, all of the subtlety in the tremolo action is back where I expect it. It also got rid of some creakiness when moving the bar around. I was really starting to think that either this new trem design sucked, or I got a lemon!

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Sun May 05, 2024 1:05 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:16 am
Out of curiosity, does your trem have the rounded lock button or the more squared off in the picture above?
Mine looks the same as yours, as far as I can see.

Good to hear you solved it. Sometimes it takes a bit of poking around ro get things quiet. This evening I put on a Staytrem collet and arm. There was a squeeking noise at first. Pulled out the arm and pushed it back in - that solved it. It has a very nice action by the way.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Wed May 08, 2024 9:56 pm

Taking back my statement about the strong vibrato spring. I replaced the set of 13s with a set 11s. The amount of pull different string gauges have influence the vibrato more than I realised. Feels much better now.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu May 09, 2024 4:13 am

DrippyReverbTremolo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:56 pm
Taking back my statement about the strong vibrato spring. I replaced the set of 13s with a set 11s. The amount of pull different string gauges have influence the vibrato more than I realised. Feels much better now.
That definitely makes a difference. You can also change the "stiffness" of the vibrato by changing the height of the arm. If you push the arm all the way into the collet (i.e. the bend at the arm is right above the top of the collet), it'll feel more stiff. But if you pull it out just a bit, it'll feel more loose. The other benefit to pulling it out further is that you won't get that knocking noise from the arm hitting the bottom of the tremolo route in the guitar. I think Fender needs to redesign the arm a little bit, as this 'knocking' shouldn't happen when fully inserted.