is this a "normal" amt of buzz for a jazzmaster?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Rainbow Battle Kid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

is this a "normal" amt of buzz for a jazzmaster?

Post by Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:43 pm

So i'm relatively new to jazzmasters after having a strat most of my life

i'm getting this insane buzz at the bridge, and everyone talks about getting buzz on their jassmasters but like, is this what they're talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWxZRoJtSY

i think this thing's got 10s on it fwiw. i haven't changed them in a WHILE

bought from a friend and here's the specs on the bridge
2018 Johnny Marr Jaguar modern narrow spacing 7.25" radius bridge
American Vintage bridge thimbles.
also has a shim fwiw

i brought it to my local shop to get set up and maybe diagnose, but they're pretty backed up so i can't take it in for a couple weeks. but the guy was saying bridge buzz is pretty common and lots of people get mastery bridges to counter it but like, i don't even think this was buzzing this much when i first got it? could is just be something is out of alignment or something?

also this is a real NOOB thing but like, the bridge seems to have 2 positions, basically straight up and angled back toward the tremolo. should i just be using one of those? when it's buzzing like this, if i shift it back to towards the tremolo and then back up, the buzzing will usually stop until i play for a while. :'(

i'd like to not have to get a new bridge or buzz stop or whatever if possible but am i kinda locked into that route if i don't want this insane sound?

thanks for any help!
http://attractmode.bandcamp.com
http://motionlines.bandcamp.com

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: is this a "normal" amt of buzz for a jazzmaster?

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:46 pm

No, there's something wrong there, that's not normal in any way.

I wonder if there is some kind of burr in the slot on the saddle. What you can do is take the low E string off, cut it about a foot in length, and run it back and forth over the slot, using it kind of like dental floss, and hopefully it will remove the burr.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Rainbow Battle Kid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:48 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:46 pm
No, there's something wrong there, that's not normal in any way.

I wonder if there is some kind of burr in the slot on the saddle. What you can do is take the low E string off, cut it about a foot in length, and run it back and forth over the slot, using it kind of like dental floss, and hopefully it will remove the burr.
hmmmm would that affect all the strings like this? i feel like the buzz is pretty nuts on all of them, maybe a little less on the higher strings?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:26 pm

I don't think that's the bridge, something else (pickguard/vibrato lock button) is making nasty sympathetic vibrations.

Sounds plastic-ey to me, does it change if you press down on various different areas of the pickguard?
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:42 pm

Hard to tell. Have you tried dampening (palm muting) or pressure on various parts (Bridge, Vibrato/Collet, some height or saddle screws) yet? Sounds like „too much“ for a single burr (to me).
I had a kinda similar sound with my new MIJ Late 60s Jaguar - and it turned out to be the vibrato arm/collet in my case. Even without the arm inserted it made noises.
A Staytrem arm/collet solved the issue for me.

Rainbow Battle Kid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:46 pm

so yeah testing it out more, i get what sounds almost rattle-y? i THINK when i touch the like, posts of the bridge it kinda stops? it almost feels like the posts are moving around and hitting something?

so i just tried again and

(this is not my pic, just for illustration purposes)

if i pinch the bridge at those green arrows, either by the high or low e, then it stops rattling while i hold it. but if i try it horizontally like at the sides (red Xs), it doesnt really seem to do anything.

also if i push down on any of the saddles it seems to kinda stop it as well, also starting back up when i let go.

EDIT: looking now, i drew those arrows kinda funky, but i just mean that i'm holding the outer sides of the bridge, not the inner part where the saddles are

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:50 pm

Is it pushed back against the post thimbles? Mine did something like that albeit not that bad. It didn't seem to come through the amp but was noticable unamplified. If you push the bridge in that direction maybe it either squeezes it together or separates it so it can't buzz.

SOLUTION (if its that): well, of course you could have the bridge central, i prefer it pushed back though. In that case it was solved but one up-bend on the trem arm, then making sure i push down again to maintain tuning. Didn't leave the bridge noticably far from the pushed-back position yet it stops the buzz indefinately. Of course sometimes Jazzmasters can slip either forward and backwards into an inevitable position when playing, so that might be less indefinite but more resolvable by IME trying different break angles and keeping the friction (don't lubricate!)

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:40 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:43 pm
i think this thing's got 10s on it fwiw. i haven't changed them in a WHILE
Yeah, ... that sounds bad. And also seems to change character. The early buzz examples sound delayed, and 'plastic-y' as suggested.

But the first thing to do is to put new strings on. With good attention to neat post-wraps, checking the nut slots - esp sufficient slot width to avoid binding, and clearly defined takeoff point at the front of the nut to avoid sitar sounds. Also check string tree.

Then it's a matter of setting it up to standard instructions. So no screw is left unturned. ;)

Setting trem compression screw/lock button to easy-in/easy-out position ...
https://offset.guitars/the-goodies/sett ... lo-system/

The bridge should be in the middle, neutral position, not back against the thimble walls. And it should stay there (a sign of adequate string-saddle downforce ... for which you should never lubricate the string-saddle contact points).

Check that the bridge height screws and intonation screws are in a firmly adjusted position (ie not loose). Make sure that the bridge can be lowered and raised from where it is now (ie that the height screws are engaged and working).

Check that the strings clear the front and back edges of the bridge plate (it does not look like they are near to fouling on the tips of the intonation screws, so that's good).

Make sure that the strings have good clearance over the pickup poles.

Test when fretted as well as open. eg on last fret, so fret buzz can be ruled out (eg poor relief setup). A rattling truss rod is still always a faint possibility.

If it's still buzzing after that, I would take the pickguard and trem off and check for something loose under the hood. If you've never had the bridge off, lift it out and check the thimble (people have been known to lose/strip the bridge height screws and put something in the bottom of the thimble to hold it up).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Winkybiker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Winkybiker » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 am

First thing to try is to grab the bridge and give it a good firm shove/wriggle back and forth, then position it in the centre of the range-of motion. Re-tune and check again.