Setting up shop in a new town

For help with setups and other technical issues.
rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Setting up shop in a new town

Post by rhythmjones » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:06 am

I moved to a new city a year ago and in that time the best local independent guitar tech moved out of town, and the GC, who actually had a competent tech, lost him to a better paying non-guitar-related job.

So the only guitar techs in town are the two who work for the local shop, in two locations. They're good but there's room for an independent tech.

I don't think there's any way I could ever make a full living being a tech in this small of a city, but I have availability in the afternoons and weekends that I could make it a decent side hustle.

What are the best ways to make inroads in a new city. I have a few musician friends who I've reached out to. Should I do "branding?" Facebook and Craigslist ads? Would it be prudent to offer a free setup for first-time customers?
- Mitch

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Setting up shop in a new town

Post by interceptör » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:05 pm

Sounds cool and all kinds of admirable, and I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, but here's a few random questions:

Do you feel passionate about it? Do you wish it could turn into a full-time gig?

What's the plan? To only do offsets and other cool stuff, not the millionth Joe B. mod to whatever model he's endorsing that week?

Have you ever worked in customer service? Can you stomach all the whiny bitches that will inevitably come your way?

Do you need the money? If not, can you come up with better ways to spend your free time?

Are you planning on renting a space or do you have a garage or another separate space at your place to turn into a shop? What you definitely don't want is douchebags setting up camp where you live.

I hope I didn't sound too negative, I just wrote down some thoughts that popped into my mind after a few beers. And by the way, I'm sure you could definitely earn a living as a tech in a town the size of Peoria.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:28 pm

Thanks for responding, and I'm glad to hear any feedback.

Working on guitars is definitely a passion. It was my full time gig for 11 years and I miss it.

It will definitely be a side hustle to start, and I'll be doing it in my home for now, which I understand is a huge issue.

I'm just so inept and out of my element when it comes to branding/marketing/promotion etc....
- Mitch

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:06 pm

Go for it, last time I hired myself out I worked with an indie music store so I didn't need to advertise.

Craigslist and Facebook seem like a good start, even if they are less than perfect. Maybe visit the local
open mic/ performance spaces to see if a bulletin board of some sort exists, worth a shot. Good luck!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:33 pm

rhythmjones wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:28 pm

It will definitely be a side hustle to start, and I'll be doing it in my home for now, which I understand is a huge issue.
There's a lot of techs doing work out of their house. The only down side is you're bringing strangers to your house.
I'm just so inept and out of my element when it comes to branding/marketing/promotion etc....
Instagram. Use all the annoying hashtags

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:34 pm

There must be some cheap shared workspaces nearby. Either office space or workshop. Even if it’s just a PO Box & you can meet customers there.

I search google maps for useful stuff. Get listed on there? Also means if someone searches “guitar repairs London” you’ll show up right away.

This is UK centric advice, so YMMV.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:10 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:33 pm

Yep. And if you don’t mind setting up your phone on a tripod, get video content of some of the more interesting work you’re doing. Put it up on reels or TikTok or YouTube shorts

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 am

OffYourFace wrote:

Thanks.

What are the annoying hashtags? I don't know anything about Instagram
- Mitch

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:40 pm

rhythmjones wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 am
OffYourFace wrote:

Thanks.

What are the annoying hashtags? I don't know anything about Instagram
Do you have an IG account?

Watch this guy’s stories and posts to get an idea.

Link