Jaguar HH pickups for blending and coil splitting

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JhonnyJag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar HH pickups for blending and coil splitting

Post by JhonnyJag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:01 pm

Hi guys, I will be very grateful for any advice you have)
I understand - this is a trivial question, at first sight, but this is not the case

I have Fender Vintera '60s Jaguar Modified HH and I would like to change the pickups to one's more suitable for ambient/ post rock music
I'd like to put Lollar The Bird set with 4 conductors wiring and on the one hand, they are excellent by default for what I would like to hear, but I have some concerns

First of all - as you well know, Vintera Jag has knobs for mixing the humbucker and single coil and I often use the blender function, for me this is an important part of the guitar. But I'm thinking about Lollar The Bird set, I understand that the single coil mode will sound perhaps too thin and bright
because by default they are already bright and clean. Maybe it's not much of a problem for the neck, but perhaps this will be too much for bridge...

The main message is simple - won't this be a shot in the foot and too much high-pitched if I can always split the bridge humbucker? They are great at middle position work, but perhaps it would be more beneficial to have some kind of more fat, powerful and wide humbucker in the bridge since I can always split it? Maybe it would expand the range of tones? I have a feeling that I will lose more than I gain and that this will be a very big shift towards a thin sound and the blender function will be half irrelevant.

Sure, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but maybe someone has already encountered something similar - the Bird it's just big size Firebird version, really close. Perhaps you have had experience mixing neck humbuckers of this type or similar ones with something in the bridge. Or just a few thoughts on what else you think could be used to install in a bridge with a Lollar The Bird humbucker in the neck, so that it would be interesting and suit each other. I'd be infinitely grateful for any of your opinion.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar HH pickups for blending and coil splitting

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:25 am

*subscribed.

I have a similar paf sized firebird pickup set (currently not installed as the neck pu came back from a repair and I don't like the mismatched look of brushed raw cover vs all the chrome... so it goes in a possible next build). :whistle:
I liked the split sound too - and the clarity + fatness they can provide.

If you find the split signal too thin you could solder a cap to it - so that you don't send the whole other coil to ground but only a part of it.

Hmmm. I once found an article on a pickup winders site about it... I think it was Lollar... but it doesn't seem to exist anymore... but I guess you'd find some tips on what values

JhonnyJag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JhonnyJag » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:00 am

Thank you very much, I will try to find information about what you said.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:25 am

Found it, it was Fralin...not Lollar:
#3 Partial Split - the article also talks about gradual splitting... so probably what your Vintera modified's original wiring diagram intended as the splitting method. Have a read and decide from there!

And let me/us know how you like it!

All the best for you!

Markus

JhonnyJag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JhonnyJag » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:28 am

Thanks a lot) you opened a different point of view for me)) very interesting approach. I would definitely like to try this.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:21 pm

JhonnyJag wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:28 am
Thanks a lot) you opened a different point of view for me)) very interesting approach. I would definitely like to try this.
Glad I could help. That's exactly what I thought when I read/heard about it.