Descendant Tune-O-Matic Replacement

For help with setups and other technical issues.
wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Descendant Tune-O-Matic Replacement

Post by wooderson » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:44 pm

I didn't care for the regular Descendant because it was more fiddly than a Staytrem but it's cool to see they have a TOM replacement now. Mascis Squiers are back on the menu, baby! And the HH Jaguars that have TOMs too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0FGStIOlcB/

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Descendant Tune-O-Matic Replacement

Post by timtam » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:38 pm

Not exactly a radical new design, but a new application of their existing design and a useful new option nevertheless. Similar to how Halon did theirs (and earlier DIY approaches) - just leave off the bridge height posts.

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:04 am

timtam wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:38 pm
Not exactly a radical new design, but a new application of their existing design and a useful new option nevertheless. Similar to how Halon did theirs (and earlier DIY approaches) - just leave off the bridge height posts.

This reminds me... And I'm asking you, timtam, because you probably have all the dimensions somewhere in your files... ;D

What are the dimensions on the inside of a proper offset thimble? And do you know the inner and outer dimensions of the various ToM bushings?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:03 am

GilmourD wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:04 am
timtam wrote:
This reminds me... And I'm asking you, timtam, because you probably have all the dimensions somewhere in your files... ;D

What are the dimensions on the inside of a proper offset thimble? And do you know the inner and outer dimensions of the various ToM bushings?
Sorry I don't have exact inner/outer thimble dimensions saved anywhere. Only a mental note that they vary a little (MIA vs MIK vs MIJ), so would need measuring on the thimble you intend to use.

For Fender TOMs/AOMs, most are the Classic Player 0076230049/0076230000, that persists through to the current Vintera Modified. Below is the diagram I have for that - bottom posts are M8. I believe it's this bridge from retail/OEM arm of WSC Music in Korea (diagram there has a few more measurements) ...
https://shoppartsland.com/lp002brd/

The only other Fender one I can think of is the Cobain jag's black Gotoh (Fender p/n 0091718000).

I have never tried to keep track of the Mascis Squier's TOM, as I suspect they might have varied across the several generations of that guitar, so you'd have to get one in your hands rather than rely on a supposed 'specification' that might be wrong. The advantage of the design of the Descendant and Halon AOM retrofit bridges is that because they sit on the existing AOM posts, they only need to match several dimensions. Firstly, the diameter of the top posts, which should all be 6mm. But Halon sells two different post-to-post spacings: 73mm and 74mm, because that apparently varies in some Squier (?) TOMs.

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:18 am

timtam wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:03 am
GilmourD wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:04 am
timtam wrote:

Sorry I don't have exact inner/outer thimble dimensions saved anywhere. Only a mental note that they vary a little (MIA vs MIK vs MIJ), so would need measuring on the thimble you intend to use.

For Fender TOMs/AOMs, most are the Classic Player 0076230049/0076230000, that persists through to the current Vintera Modified. Below is the diagram I have for that - bottom posts are M8. I believe it's this bridge from retail/OEM arm of WSC Music in Korea (diagram there has a few more measurements) ...
https://shoppartsland.com/lp002brd/

The only other Fender one I can think of is the Cobain jag's black Gotoh (Fender p/n 0091718000).

I have never tried to keep track of the Mascis Squier's TOM, as I suspect they might have varied across the several generations of that guitar, so you'd have to get one in your hands rather than rely on a supposed 'specification' that might be wrong. The advantage of the design of the Descendant and Halon AOM retrofit bridges is that because they sit on the existing AOM posts, they only need to match several dimensions. Firstly, the diameter of the top posts, which should all be 6mm. But Halon sells two different post-to-post spacings: 73mm and 74mm, because that apparently varies in some Squier (?) TOMs.

So, just to let you in on my thinking, I'm figuring that there's enough people hemming and hawing over the ToM/AoM-equipped offsets (plus the bodies on eBay drilled for ToM/AoM that appear to be Mascis bodies painted different colors) that there might be a small, niche market for replacements for those bushings that have the inner dimensions of a standard offset thimble. I'm aware that there's multiple dimensions for the bushing ODs, but realistically there's nothing wild about throwing some metal rod on a lathe, working it down to the correct dimensions, and having the ID be that of an offset thimble with the conical bottom.

ldp54002
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ldp54002 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:12 pm

I've made a few of these myself over the years by just drilling out the posts on Squier Mustang bridges, typically with mixed results. I was never able to get the tolerances tight enough such that the hole in the bridge would fit over the TOM post but also wasn't so large that it rattled slightly while playing. Even a half millimeter seemed to end up buzzing/rattling under heavy use. I finally got it to sit tight with a very heavy break angle, but at that point the strings were making contact with the back of the bridge, which introduced its own issues.

I eventually gave up trying and learned to love the couple TOM offsets I have/had. For $125, though, I may just try it DIY again ;)

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:01 am

ldp54002 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:12 pm
I've made a few of these myself over the years by just drilling out the posts on Squier Mustang bridges, typically with mixed results. I was never able to get the tolerances tight enough such that the hole in the bridge would fit over the TOM post
Slightly gappy on my mustratmaster but has no adverse affects on playabililty (pos due to mustang trem angle). I used a "modified" staytrem, when the plastic bushes started to get sloppy I replaced them with nuts.
Near impossible to knock outa tune..

bipedal2
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bipedal2 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:00 am

wooderson wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:44 pm
I didn't care for the regular Descendant because it was more fiddly than a Staytrem but it's cool to see they have a TOM replacement now. Mascis Squiers are back on the menu, baby! And the HH Jaguars that have TOMs too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0FGStIOlcB/
Nice, thanks for sharing! I thought I was finally done fiddling around with my Sq JMJM. I've been satisfied with the Wilkinson roller bridge that I installed years ago, but . . .

bipedal2
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bipedal2 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:05 am

Thought I might try this bridge out, but the post spacing on my Squier JMJM (2013-ish) measures 74 mm while the Adapt-O-Matic is 2.875 inches = 73 mm.

Oh well. :(

karolt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by karolt » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:01 pm

Just found this post. I got Vintera 60s modified. Wandering if it's an option... although somehow my first rough measurements also show 74mm which would be a shame...

karolt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by karolt » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:28 pm

I double checked and it seems this could be a good option for Vintera 60s Modified:

This would be great news.

karolt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by karolt » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:32 pm

Just got a reply from Chris, and seems string spacing is 2.125" (53.975mm).

On stock bridge I see 51mm when measuring from inside, and 52mm when measuring from outside.

I don't think it will be a good option, as I wouldn't like to push strings closer to the edges of the fretboard.

It seems Halon would be a better option as string spacing is 52.5mm there (Halon bridge website).