MFD Jumbo Pickups Pickguard Mounting

For help with setups and other technical issues.
sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

MFD Jumbo Pickups Pickguard Mounting

Post by sciuri » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:23 pm

I’ve been interested in trying G&L MFD Jumbo pickups. Tonally, how different are they than the Strat-sized S-500 MFD pickups? I've watched a couple of youtube videos but am still looking for more info.

I’m considering trying MFDs with a Reverend USA guitar that has a swimming pool route. The S-500s are pickguard-mounted, so that would be the easier option, but I wonder if I'd be missing what the Jumbos could do (FOMO!). And I have to admit, the Jumbos look cool and unique and have a different mojo that brings up P90 and Mosrite vibes. The Jumbos are designed to be body-mounted, so I'd have to fashion a bracket of some sort to allow pickguard mounting.

Would anyone with the skills and tools be willing to help me build a DIY pickguard bracket for MFD Jumbos?

This would be similar to how Reverend, Ibanez, and Kauer have mounted soapbar P90s to pickguards.

I could try to find a piece of thin but rigid metal, try to borrow a tap and die set (my neighbor is a mechanic), and learn how to do it. Or perhaps try a different material that might be easier to drill through, such as a pickguard?

Thanks for any advice!

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MFD Jumbo Pickups Pickguard Mounting

Post by sciuri » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:51 am

Bump if anyone has advice or ideas!

MFD Jumbos vs. MFD Strat S-500 -- are they tonally different enough to make the extra effort worth it for Jumbos?
Maybe it's a silly question, but I'm wondering is it like the difference between a fender single coil and a P90 (majorly different), or more like a strat bridge vs a tele bridge (distinct but with a fair amount of overlap).

Any ideas for easy materials to work with for a makeshift pickup bracket?

Thanks!

madlovepickups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by madlovepickups » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:42 pm

Brass or aluminium strip would work, durable, easy to get hold of and easy to tap & drill. Steel will work too but harder to drill and tap and also there's a chance they will change the tone of the pickups a little.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:06 am

Something you may not be considering is how long Jumbo MFD pickups are already - about as long as a Jazzmaster pickup, and you want to make it longer. Also, how the cover fits the pickup is not conducive to mounting in the way you want. You would probably even have to expand the swimming pool route under your pickguard. Short of designing and 3D printing alternate pickup covers, your best bet for using the Jumbo MFDs, is to fit them under a Jazzmaster pickup cover.

In addition, the sound differences between different models of MFD is not as great, as the difference between MFDs and traditional single coils is. The S500s can be guard mounted like a Strat or body mounted like a Jag, and are the same general dimensions as a Strat pickup. So, my advice is to get the S500s. If you find yourself liking those, then maybe explore some of the other MFD pickup formats.
Doug
@dpcannafax

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:59 pm

madlovepickups wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:42 pm
Brass or aluminium strip would work, durable, easy to get hold of and easy to tap & drill. Steel will work too but harder to drill and tap and also there's a chance they will change the tone of the pickups a little.
Thanks for the insight! I started looking at websites that do custom laser cut aluminum, which might be the way to go for me as I have no experience or correct tools for cutting metal.

ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:06 am
Something you may not be considering is how long Jumbo MFD pickups are already - about as long as a Jazzmaster pickup, and you want to make it longer. Also, how the cover fits the pickup is not conducive to mounting in the way you want. You would probably even have to expand the swimming pool route under your pickguard. Short of designing and 3D printing alternate pickup covers, your best bet for using the Jumbo MFDs, is to fit them under a Jazzmaster pickup cover.

In addition, the sound differences between different models of MFD is not as great, as the difference between MFDs and traditional single coils is. The S500s can be guard mounted like a Strat or body mounted like a Jag, and are the same general dimensions as a Strat pickup. So, my advice is to get the S500s. If you find yourself liking those, then maybe explore some of the other MFD pickup formats.
Thank you for the advice!

If MFD pickups are pretty similar to one another, it might make sense to try an S-500 set first. I also have a JM that could use different pickups so will think on that...

I'm working on a mockup and should be able to tell soon if the length will fit in my swimming pool route.

Curious, would you elaborate on how the cover fits the pickup and how that might not work with a bracket going underneath?

Thanks!

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:37 am

sciuri wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:59 pm
Curious, would you elaborate on how the cover fits the pickup and how that might not work with a bracket going underneath?

Thanks!
Because, the bottom of the pickup (the copper plate) is not flush with the bottom of the cover. It is recessed slightly. You would probably need to make some kind of spacer, in addition to the mounting brackets. And, of course, the neck and bridge brackets have to be different sizes, because the neck and bridge pickups are different lengths. Even if you found someone to make them, and they would fit on your pickguard or in the body, it would look janky as hell with all those screws.

This idea just seems unnecessarily complicated.
Doug
@dpcannafax

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:33 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:37 am
This idea just seems unnecessarily complicated.
Unnecessarily complicated for someone with very limited skills, the wrong tools, and little time? Sounds like a great idea!

But seriously, thank you for your perspective. Between having a lower demand and easier options that’ll produce close-enough results, there must be a reason why this idea doesn’t seem like a very popular mod to try.

I found a shop where I should be able to try some G&L's with different MFD pickups and decide from there. For my collection, it sounds like it may come down to S500's in a Mustang or Jumbo's/Doheny's in a JM. For Jumbo's though, I'd be way more interested in an Artemis build than an ASAT Special or SC2!