Mastery Bridge Buzz

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery Bridge Buzz

Post by Gav Haus » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:00 pm

digitalzombie wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:03 pm
Kutt wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:10 am
I had some slight overtone/mild rattle noise on my '66 Big Block Jazzmaster that I thought might have been the Mastery but I figured out it was coming from the area where the strings mount into the vibrato. I simply laid a piece of tape along the strings and the issue was 100% resolved. Might not be your issue, but that was my experience.
I have the same issue with a Mastery I just installed. I get a slight buzz at least from the high E that goes away if I press on it lightly. Would prefer to find a fix a little slightly more elegant than a piece of tape given the hefty price tag of this bridge.
Is the string making contact with the domed screw head on the vibrato plate?
http://wearerichlist.com

Kutt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Mastery Bridge Buzz

Post by Kutt » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:55 am

digitalzombie wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:03 pm
Kutt wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:10 am
I had some slight overtone/mild rattle noise on my '66 Big Block Jazzmaster that I thought might have been the Mastery but I figured out it was coming from the area where the strings mount into the vibrato. I simply laid a piece of tape along the strings and the issue was 100% resolved. Might not be your issue, but that was my experience.
I have the same issue with a Mastery I just installed. I get a slight buzz at least from the high E that goes away if I press on it lightly. Would prefer to find a fix a little slightly more elegant than a piece of tape given the hefty price tag of this bridge.
My issue is not the fault of the Mastery. Whatever "residual" string vibration is traveling down towards the ball end of the strings is causing something on the stock Fender vibrato to make a touch of noise. The small piece of tape dampens the string vibration just enough to stop it. Similar to guys who put foam under their strings at the nut/headstock or foam around their Floyd Rose springs. I have plenty of break angle over the Mastery as far as Jazzmaster standards go. I am willing to bet if the angle were increased even more the noise would stop entirely. Part of the nature of the finicky beast.