12 string set up question

For help with setups and other technical issues.
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

12 string set up question

Post by bubba899 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:15 am

I've got a customer looking to get their 12 string nut re-cut to accommodate the heavier gauge string of each pair being on the bass side of the nut. So what I would consider the opposite of what is standard.

I don't have a huge amount of experience working on 12 strings so wondering if anyone knows of any reason why this would be a bad idea? or is it just a preference thing.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 12 string set up question

Post by cestlamort » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:01 am

That’s the standard string order on Rickenbackers. It’ll sound different but some prefer it

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:06 am

cestlamort wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:01 am
That’s the standard string order on Rickenbackers. It’ll sound different but some prefer it
Exactly what I was hoping to hear, thank you!

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:33 pm

Yep- just a preference thing.

I strung one of my Surfcaster 12s that way just so I could do a scientific comparison- basically the only differences between my test subjects were a) paint color, and b) string order - standard vs. Ric-style.

Sonically there was a slight difference noticeable when playing light picking and fingerstyle stuff, but the differences disappeared entirely on heavier strumming.

Playability-wise I couldn't tell a difference at all. My calloused fingies couldn't tell one from the other.

Quality-of-life-wise though, The heavy low E string did offer a buffer against string-break with my aggressive playing. I guess I get a little wild on the downstroke during some songs, as the octave E was often a casualty at live shows. (One of the reasons I started down the multiple-twelve path. I needed backups!) The Ricky-style one became the go-to for the more aggro sections of our live set, and I found the string-break issue improved greatly.

So yeah- do it!

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:32 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:33 pm
Yep- just a preference thing.

I strung one of my Surfcaster 12s that way just so I could do a scientific comparison- basically the only differences between my test subjects were a) paint color, and b) string order - standard vs. Ric-style.

Sonically there was a slight difference noticeable when playing light picking and fingerstyle stuff, but the differences disappeared entirely on heavier strumming.

Playability-wise I couldn't tell a difference at all. My calloused fingies couldn't tell one from the other.

Quality-of-life-wise though, The heavy low E string did offer a buffer against string-break with my aggressive playing. I guess I get a little wild on the downstroke during some songs, as the octave E was often a casualty at live shows. (One of the reasons I started down the multiple-twelve path. I needed backups!) The Ricky-style one became the go-to for the more aggro sections of our live set, and I found the string-break issue improved greatly.

So yeah- do it!
This makes sense. It's an acoustic, but the player in question is a pretty heavy handed strummer by the looks of the guitar so I'll assume that might be where his preference comes from too.

Having set it up, it can sort of hear that it's maybe little less chimey, but not by any massive margin. I'm not really a 12 string player so I don't have a huge frame of reference. Plays fine either way so hopefully the guy is happy.

Thanks again for the help, that was significantly easier than trawling through google search. A nice reminder If in doubt there's always someone on OSG who has the answer.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:43 pm

My 12 string is set up this way also.

I agree with the comments above, and would add that it’s only really noticeable when picking single notes in downstrokes. There is a little less attack to the note, because you’re hitting the low octave a millisecond before the high octave.

It definitely preserves the high octave strings though - i never break strings with this setup.