Squier CV 70's Jaguar bridge bushing

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mwmeci
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier CV 70's Jaguar bridge bushing

Post by mwmeci » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:07 am

I got this used last week. My 1st Jaguar. The holes for the bushings/thimble that hold the bridge seem too large. If I remove the bridge I can pull the bushings out. Every bushing I've seen are pressed in. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

I wrapped electrical tape aroind the bushings and bridge posts to limit there movement. The guitar holds tuning well.
https://imgur.com/a/IQTjtkA
Last edited by mwmeci on Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RoaringTwenties
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier CV 70's Jaguar bridge bushing

Post by RoaringTwenties » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:24 pm

I got the same guitar recently (also my first jaguar). On mine, one bushing is pretty snug (though it can still be pulled out with a little effort); the other bushing sits in a slightly too large hole and could pop out real easy when the bridge wasn't on/strung up. Don't know how big of a deal it is, but I did a slight wrap of electrical tape on the bushing and that has made it a snug fit.

mwmeci
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mwmeci » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:04 am

If I take my bridge off and flip the guitar over mine fall out.
The holes are really oversized.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:05 pm

Sounds like a major QC issue. They are an interference fit and should take significant effort to remove.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:54 pm

I got a set of the Fender nylon bushings for mine, and that seemed to at least stabilize the bridge. The Fender part number is 7710508000. Angela Instruments usually has them, but if they are out of stock, you might look up Darren Riley on Reverb.
The artist formerly known as Synchro.

When Surf Guitar is outlawed, only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:12 pm

If the body hole is too big for the thimble's OD then by all means wrap the outside of the thimble to make a tighter fit if it bothers you. The thimble's only role is to provide a conical base at its floor, to form a frictionless 'pin joint' with the sharp screw tip at the end of the bridge height grub screw.

Don't wrap the bridge posts. That defeats their purpose, which is free rocking. Why Fender chose to put 'anti-rocking' nylon bushings on the Am Pro series bridge posts is not clear. Their current knowledge of the designed offset physics that were well understood in Leo's time has been questionable on many fronts (eg those bushings, suggesting lubing of string-saddle contact points, putting fixed TOM bridges on some models, putting the trem closer to the bridge on those models, providing less setup instructions than was in the 1960s and 1970s manuals, etc etc).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

mwmeci
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mwmeci » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:09 am

I wrapped the thimbles and bridge posts with electrical tape and my tuning stability is good. I'll remove it from the bridge posts to see how it affects tone and tuning.
I used nail polish on the height adjusting screws, its holding well. I hate buying chemicals, loctite, and using it once.
We alwayd seem to have a chemical corner in our house that all goes to the recycle center.