What the hell is this noise? Answer - the nut

For help with setups and other technical issues.
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

What the hell is this noise? Answer - the nut

Post by DeathJag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:08 pm

This thing has the best tremolo and bridge that money can buy and yet it is noisy as all hell. It kind of seems like the bridge posts scratching against their cavities, but what the hell would they be doing that for? Any help would be vastly appreciated.

What the hell is this noise?
Last edited by DeathJag on Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What the hell is this noise?

Post by fisonic » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:05 pm

Sounds like strings rubbing the saddle slots. Try some lubricant, check the slots are free of burry edges etc.

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:32 pm

For me it sounds a bit like the spring in a "wrong" position.
Maybe check the spring, turn it around: up - down
Or turn it just a little bit to the left or right?
Try another spring?
Or, yes, maybe the ball ends are scratching somewhere?
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:33 pm

fisonic wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:05 pm
Sounds like strings rubbing the saddle slots. Try some lubricant, check the slots are free of burry edges etc.
Never lubricate the string-saddle contacts on a rocking bridge (or restrict it from rocking freely). The rocking bridge relies on high string-saddle friction for the strings to grip and rock the bridge consistently back and forth with trem use, as the strings change length over the bridge. Lubrication would lower that friction, and bridge rocking can then become inconsistent, being a mix of the string gripping the bridge some of the time (good) but sliding over it at other times (bad); the bridge can never return to exactly where it started (neutral position) in that scenario. Only lubricate saddles on fixed bridges.

The noise sounds possibly trem-spring-related to me, unless maybe the strings are dragging over the back edge of the bridge plate.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:17 am

timtam wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:33 pm
[quote=fisonic post_id=<a href="tel:1765718">1765718</a> time=<a href="tel:1676268355">1676268355</a> user_id=8250]
Never lubricate the string-saddle contacts on a rocking bridge (or restrict it from rocking freely). The rocking bridge relies on high string-saddle friction for the strings to grip and rock the bridge consistently back and forth with trem use, as the strings change length over the bridge. Lubrication would lower that friction, and bridge rocking can then become inconsistent, being a mix of the string gripping the bridge some of the time (good) but sliding over it at other times (bad); the bridge can never return to exactly where it started (neutral position) in that scenario. Only lubricate saddles on fixed bridges.

The noise sounds possibly trem-spring-related to me, unless maybe the strings are dragging over the back edge of the bridge plate.
[/quote]

Yeah, my bad, thought that the bridge was somehow fixed. Had a similar sound going on a mastery bridge.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:45 am

It is the nut. I squeezed down on the first frets with my whole hand and it became silent. So I guess I need to either widen the slots or lubricate it a little? Looking at it with a magnifier, the strings do go down to the bottom of the slots. Perhaps the slots need to be fanned out slightly? Perhaps I should just go to a professional and have them look at the nut. It is made out of coriander so it might be tricky to mess with. However I am not afraid to swipe at it a few times with the circular files.

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:03 am

Oh! This sounds reaaaaally bad, yes...
Try it with another bridge to check it?
Ralf Kilauea

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:13 am

Ah, you found it. The nut. Okay. Good to hear that you located it.
Ralf Kilauea

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:33 am

I did some filing and realized that the corian nut is super soft, and the strings are making impressions almost immediately. Therefore the nut has to go. I have made an appointment for two weeks with the local guitar dudes and they are going to make a new nut. I'm so bummed about this because it all comes from a misunderstanding. The neck builder told me he wanted to do a Gibson style nut and I didn't realize what I was agreeing to. Soon after that I saw it and said I didn't like it and he got super pissed. So I had to settle. It's the one thing about this guitar that I had to settle on, and I was OK with it, but now that it is the source of this noise I am pretty fucking upset about it.

I also despise the thought of having a piece of an animal on my guitar. Apparently the only other option is a brass nut, which would probably look totally fucked on this black and silver guitar. But it seems like that may be the best solution.

All of this is such a huge bummer because all of my other Jaguars that get played and tremolo-ed like crazy are dead quiet, and of course they all have Fender style nuts. I would hate to have to throw out this whole neck because of this problem. But if it keeps squeaking I have absolutely zero use for it.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:19 am

DeathJag wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:33 am

I also despise the thought of having a piece of an animal on my guitar. Apparently the only other option is a brass nut, which would probably look totally fucked on this black and silver guitar. But it seems like that may be the best solution.

All of this is such a huge bummer because all of my other Jaguars that get played and tremolo-ed like crazy are dead quiet, and of course they all have Fender style nuts. I would hate to have to throw out this whole neck because of this problem. But if it keeps squeaking I have absolutely zero use for it.
There is still graphtech in various forms and colours… I got a black one on my Epiphone (and other synthetic bone material) - I think I don‘t get the big „otherwise it would have to be brass“ statement…

Also, out of interest: what nut material do all your other Jaguars have?
It‘s still weird for me too to have an actual bone on there but if it‘s the best self-lubricating thing out there and no animal has to actually die for it per se (because as regular (cow) leather it‘s „just“ a byproduct/a leftover from meat production that would otherwise not be used at all and wasted,… this can be seen as „holistic“ use of material. At least that‘s what I‘m trying to tell myself.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:46 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:19 am
DeathJag wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:33 am

There is still graphtech in various forms and colours… I got a black one on my Epiphone (and other synthetic bone material) - I think I don‘t get the big „otherwise it would have to be brass“ statement…

Also, out of interest: what nut material do all your other Jaguars have?
It‘s still weird for me too to have an actual bone on there but if it‘s the best self-lubricating thing out there and no animal has to actually die for it per se (because as regular (cow) leather it‘s „just“ a byproduct/a leftover from meat production that would otherwise not be used at all and wasted,… this can be seen as „holistic“ use of material. At least that‘s what I‘m trying to tell myself.
Yeah! Those Tusq nuts seem like they might work. My problem with bone is that I just think it's gross. Believe me I realize the irony in this belief - since most instruments were invented using animal parts. I fully realize no animals were killed just to make bone nuts. Leather is also a byproduct and therefore not technically a product of cruelty. Also, it would be the only white thing on the so that's another reason.

I am wondering if an aluminum nut can be made. But obviously it would have to be Gibson style. What a tough lesson that was man. Part of me, an irrational and intimate part, wants to throw this neck away and get the dude to build me another one with the proper nut. God dammit.

I'd been playing this guitar heavily, I just naturally reach for it, and I'd been ignoring the creaks. But the tuning isn't very stable either - which is explainable since the strings are getting caught in the nut.

Okay, I've got an appointment in two weeks with some folks who can cut nuts. They said bone was the next strongest before brass, but now I'm thinking I'll have them throw a Tusq nut on there and see how it goes.

The guitar dude mentioned something I hadn't realized - that all nuts need to be maintained! News to me since all of my other guitars, including ones that were played so much the frets have huge dips in them, have needed any nut maintenance. But these are all Fender style nuts, those don't have that "tip" that the Gibson ones do, so it would makes sense that they wear down way slower.

If anyone has thoughts about Tusq or aluminum nuts - I would LOVE to hear them.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:00 pm

Aluminium would be way too soft.

What do you/they mean by ‘Gibson style’ or ‘Fender style’?

A Tusq nut is/will be fine and is the only Graphtech product worth using IME.

But corian should also have been fine. I suppose it may get produced with different hardnesses by different companies.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:48 pm

A roller nut might be an option.

These are more for the slightly wider modern Fender nut widths than the narrower vintage ones, so be clear on the measurements if you go this route.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:15 am

I have installed a Zero Glide Nut (= Zero Fret) on some guitars with JM Tremolo - also an option

Zero Glide Nut

Bought that one from Göldo on thomann.de - they have them for Fender or Gibson guitars... easy to install and a revertable change

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:09 am

NICQ wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:15 am
I have installed a Zero Glide Nut
I think you have solved it!! They even make an ebony version that can have stainless steel fret which would both be a perfect match. The only issue is that the radius is 12" on the fret wire, but perhaps a person with skills could make it work.

Thank you Andy for confirming the aluminum nut being too soft.