Anybody found/designed an less bulbous alternative for the tremolo hinge plate mounting screws?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
HarktheUmpire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anybody found/designed an less bulbous alternative for the tremolo hinge plate mounting screws?

Post by HarktheUmpire » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:48 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:31 am
HarktheUmpire wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:58 am
Is the top plate itself threaded for the screws to hold on to? I remember doing this years ago and I seem to remember the screws aren't actually screwed in to the top plate and so the only screw actually holding the thing together is the middle one. I may well be wrong though, my memory is very hazy from back then.
I believe so. Or at least I turned mine around years ago (on an AVRI unit) and haven't had issues since. They're definitely not hanging in loose, and keeping stuff held together like before.

thegreatbigsby
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Anybody found/designed an less bulbous alternative for the tremolo hinge plate mounting screws?

Post by thegreatbigsby » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:09 am

HarktheUmpire wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:48 am
GreenKnee wrote:
HarktheUmpire wrote:
Is the top plate itself threaded for the screws to hold on to? I remember doing this years ago and I seem to remember the screws aren't actually screwed in to the top plate and so the only screw actually holding the thing together is the middle one. I may well be wrong though, my memory is very hazy from back then.
I believe so. Or at least I turned mine around years ago and haven't had issues since. They're definitely not hanging in loose, and keeping stuff held together like before.
Yep, it's threaded. Works like a charm.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:26 pm

Great solution, HarktheUmpire .... And very helpful info. Thanks.

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:16 am

Would it kill Fender/Squier to move those screws in a few mm so that they don't sit right under the E strings? They did it with the Panorama, they can do it with every other part too. What was Leo thinking?

Soldering the winds on the high E has solved the issue for me because even with the proper bridge height, the string was rubbing against the screw when I depressed the vibrato arm.

HarktheUmpire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarktheUmpire » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:50 am

andare wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:16 am
What was Leo thinking?
The original screws aren't fully round, they have flattened tops. So they cause no problems.

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:28 am

HarktheUmpire wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:50 am
andare wrote:
What was Leo thinking?
The original screws aren't fully round, they have flattened tops. So they cause no problems.
Then why did Fender switch to round head screws?
Still, moving them inward would allow for any screw to be used. It seems a simple enough solution for future proofing the design.

HarktheUmpire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarktheUmpire » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:32 pm

andare wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:28 am
HarktheUmpire wrote:
andare wrote:
What was Leo thinking?
I’m only pointing out that Leo had nothing to do with it. I don’t know why Fender switched to round screws. I suppose they couldn’t source the right, flattened top ones anymore. And I agree, moving them a couple mm’s would be a good solution.

Anyway, I’d just flip them over as mentioned before. It’s easy, costs nothing, and your won’t need to do any more soldering.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 am

GreenKnee wrote:
HarktheUmpire wrote:

Despite someone else's claim above that the holes in the plate are threaded, I will second your assertion that they are not. When I had mine apart to deal with this problem, I mocked up the flipped screw "solution" and was mystified that anyone would consider it a proper solution, as my plate holes were certainly not threaded. I will wager that none are. It doesn't makes sense that they would be, as it would be contrary to the intended design, wherein the screw passes through the plate to fasten to the piece below it and squeeze the plate. Having threads in both pieces being held together would thwart the intended function.

The screw flip is silly and should not be considered a proper fix. I won't argue that people get away with it but they are in fact changing the mechanics of the assembly, turning it into a single attachment point with two locating dowels. Apparently this retains enough clamping force to stay together, as this seems like a common technique, but it's inferior to the original setup.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:06 pm

Horsefeather wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 am
The screw flip is silly and should not be considered a proper fix. I won't argue that people get away with it but they are in fact changing the mechanics of the assembly, turning it into a single attachment point with two locating dowels. Apparently this retains enough clamping force to stay together, as this seems like a common technique, but it's inferior to the original setup.
^ 100% agreed.

Just file the tops. Takes a few minutes.

Or shim the neck to allow the bridge to be raised higher so this isn't an issue.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:17 am

HarktheUmpire wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:32 pm
andare wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:28 am
HarktheUmpire wrote:

I’m only pointing out that Leo had nothing to do with it. I don’t know why Fender switched to round screws. I suppose they couldn’t source the right, flattened top ones anymore. And I agree, moving them a couple mm’s would be a good solution.

Anyway, I’d just flip them over as mentioned before. It’s easy, costs nothing, and your won’t need to do any more soldering.
As it happens, I have a couple of stripped screws (courtesy of Squier's stellar choice in metal :) in the plate so removing it is tough. I'll do it only if I ever decide to put in a Fender vibrato, which I doubt since the stock one is working fine for my needs.
I change strings once a year, maybe, and I have a soldering iron going at all times, so soldering the high E is the most convenient solution for me atm.

What is said about the holes not being threaded makes total sense.
Having to file down the tops of the screws is just another absurd thing that seems to be required to make offsets functional...
I like my JM despite all its quirks because I didn't have to do several of these fixes but still, no wonder so many people gave up on them. Maybe it's the same reasons why we love them!

HarktheUmpire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarktheUmpire » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:10 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:06 pm
Horsefeather wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 am
^ 100% agreed.

Just file the tops. Takes a few minutes.

Or shim the neck to allow the bridge to be raised higher so this isn't an issue.
Those are both better solutions, yeah.

mixed_states
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mixed_states » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:12 am

Maybe this can help:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussi ... my-mind/p3

I've just ordered 8 screws from westfieldfasteners; I hope their head is lower than original, otherwise I will file them.

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:51 am

Please let us know how the head compares to the stock screw when you receive them!

Jack

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:16 pm

I found https://www.amazon.com/Phillips-Machin ... r=1-4&th=1 at Amazon. These might be a pretty good option.
The artist formerly known as Synchro.

When Surf Guitar is outlawed, only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Colour me baffled.

All of the replacements posted recently look exactly the same as the 'problematic' originals :D
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.