What switching mods/types do you actually use?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What switching mods/types do you actually use?

Post by gibs » Mon May 06, 2024 6:13 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:38 am
My Jazzmaster has the typical 3-way toggle on the bottom. Up top is another toggle to select between Normal/Series/Series+Strangle. Then, lastly there's a "rhythm tone" switch that let's you choose between the regular tone knob and a fixed resistor. This yields the same effect as the normal rhythm circuit with the controls turned up. The rhythm switch works independent of the other switches, so I can even get series+strangle+rhythm tone. There is even space available up top, if I ever wanted to put in a phase switch.

Three switches, two knobs, zero rollers, 10 sounds. Easy to remember how it works too.
Is rhythm circuit mod just a switch that places a 50k resistor in the signal to simulate the rhythm circuit, or is there a little more going on here? I’m gathering material for a custom build “jag xii” for lack of a better name (custom cut electric xii style pickguard, offset trem, and jag lead plate and cobain switch plate). I want a switchable fixed rhythm circuit since I won’t have the normal rhythm circuit plate on this build.

Still figuring out pickups yet, as I’m either putting staple p90s in it (kinda a nice jazzmaster/p90 cross in tone, still mid range beef like a p90, but somewhat more jangly sounding than a regular p90) or I’m gonna get some of those eyguitar parts Eric custom jag pickups. But 4 of them, 2 p90 jags and 2 regular jags. If I do that, I’m gonna get one of those guitar electronics HCP coil tap things, as it’s the simplest way to be able to get humbucker sounds of running 2 sets in series to the control (gonna do what I have to do to get RWRP which should be simple given the p90 jag has bar magnets). So then when full up, with a a three way selector, it will be like a dual humbucker guitar, then when rolled back a “p90” sound (will see how close they get) and when the push/pull is up, a normal Jaguar sound.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What switching mods/types do you actually use?

Post by ThePearDream » Tue May 07, 2024 4:21 am

gibs wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:13 pm
Is rhythm circuit mod just a switch that places a 50k resistor in the signal to simulate the rhythm circuit, or is there a little more going on here? I’m gathering material for a custom build “jag xii” for lack of a better name (custom cut electric xii style pickguard, offset trem, and jag lead plate and cobain switch plate). I want a switchable fixed rhythm circuit since I won’t have the normal rhythm circuit plate on this build.
Yeah, the rhythm circuit switch is essentially a selectable 47K resistor (closest standard value to 50K). I wire it in between the lead volume and tone pots. The switch then selects between the 1M variable resistor (tone pot) or the 47K fixed resistor. This emulates the effect of the rhythm circuit with the controls turned up all the way. You could also incorporate a cap if you wanted it to sound like the rhythm tone was turned down, but I never turn them down, so don't bother.

Here it is diagramed with a push/pull configuration, but I usually use a separate switch.
Doug
@dpcannafax