Couple of Jazzmaster Shielding questions

For help with setups and other technical issues.
scole
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Couple of Jazzmaster Shielding questions

Post by scole » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:00 am

I'm still sourcing and gathering parts for a build this spring and I have 2 questions about the brass shielding plates / tubs-

1. Has anything tried using one of the master control cavity shields with a Squier Class Vibe body? I just don't know if there's any difference in the routing of the main Squier CV control cavity compared with the Fender American Vintage that the part is specifically for.

2. The master control cavity shield and pickup grounding shields are both readily available but I'm having trouble finding a source for the shielding plate that would be found in the Rhythm Control cavity. Are those available as a replacement part or would I have to make my own? It seems weird that you can easily buy 2 of the 3 components.

Thanks!
Steve

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Couple of Jazzmaster Shielding questions

Post by Embenny » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:06 am

Is there a specific reason you want the brass plates, like vintage accuracy?

Using the plates still leaves the sides of the routs unshielded. You can do a better and cheaper job with a couple dollars' worth of copper tape.

I've been shielding my guitars with Elk brand copper tape from Amazon. It's $10 or so for a big enough roll to cover multiple guitars, and the adhesive is conductive so I have had to run any ground wires to it (just making sure it comes up over the lip of the cavity to contact the pickguard shield. It's done an amazing job of quieting down my guitars in my extremely noisy music room.

My only guitars with plates are my vintage Jags, because I don't want to mess with them. Anything modern gets the tape.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

scole
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scole » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:40 am

Yeah, I’m interested in the plates more for the vintage aspects since I am striving for an early 60s vibe (cloth wire etc). I’m going to be a little hypocritical and still use shielding paint for the walls. :D

I think it also appeals to me for grounding all the various cavities (seems tidier to solder the glazier points and the grounding wire to the various glazier points. I did neglect to mention in my original post that I am in the US so I’ve been looking there primarily.

scole
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scole » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:30 pm

To answer my own question, I took a gamble and ordered the Fender Master Control Cavity shield bathtub and here's how well (or bad) it fits into the cavity on my Squier Classic Vibe body:

I may end up getting a sheet of brass and cutting one to fit the cavity and secure it using glaziers points (I'll still reapply shielding paint throughout the control cavity).

bobafettlives
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bobafettlives » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:04 pm

I'm going through the same process currently (MJT body), and also just got the lead control cavity tub and a pickup shield.

I found brass sheets at my local hardware store that I think I can gauge to the right thickness to make the second pickup shield, and at the very least do a tracing cutout of the rhythm circuit floor to make my own (not sure if hand-pressing an entire tub into the cavity would work).

But I'm also considering having a backup for the cavity walls, instead going the copper tape method. Wondering if I'll run into any continuity/short issues if using both tape and brass tubs. Not looking to derail, just in the same boat.

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:27 am

You guys are going all out for what is purely a practical solution to get rid of noise. Cutting brass plates that might not even have continuity to the walls and soldering multiple glazier points.
I appreciate the dedication but you're making your life unnecessarily complicated and risking an ineffective solution that will also add weight to the guitar.

Copper tape is cheap, it covers the entire cavity and then all you need is one single ground wire going to the back of the volume pot to shield all the electronics and pickguard.

However I can see this cam be a cool project.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:37 am

andare wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:27 am
all you need is one single ground wire going to the back of the volume pot to shield all the electronics and pickguard.
You don't even need that if you copper tape the pickguard as well.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:06 am

I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned what Kevin Shields would do
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

scole
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scole » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:46 am

Since the bathtub I bought doesn’t fully cover the main wiring route, I’m now going to apply shielding paint throughout everything and then use/make brass plates for the bottoms of all the cavities. I was able to source some triangular glazier points so I’ll be able to replicate what Fender does and tie everything together.

As to the comment about why go through all this, I guess my answer is just to go through the process and experience at least once. Maybe it won’t really matter but I’ll at least learn something through all this.

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:39 am

JSett wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:37 am
andare wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:27 am
all you need is one single ground wire going to the back of the volume pot to shield all the electronics and pickguard.
You don't even need that if you copper tape the pickguard as well.
Either the pickguard or the shielding must be grounded, doesn't matter which one.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:22 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:06 am
I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned what Kevin Shields would do
I feel like this is the start of a weird tongue twister. Does Kevin Shields cutely shield copper sheets cut sharply? Seriously though I haven't heard of him doing anything special when it came to shielding, I'm interested.