Kurt Cobain Jaguar

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Kurt Cobain Jaguar

Post by Alanbama » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:07 pm

Thank you very much for the info! You read my mind. I was sitting here wondering about that!🤨
I dearly love my Kurt Cobain (Now An Alan Cargile) Jaguar! 😎And now I have a Team of Mustang’s! And wouldn’t you know it… I love them too!

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:59 pm

Well, I just learned something. I just took the top control plate off my Jaguar to look at the cap and wiring setup. I’m going to have to order some caps to try in there. So I figured since it was basically unusable like it was, I decided to cut one of the cap legs on the tone control taking it completely out of the setup. I wondered what the neck pickup would sound like with nothing but a volume control in the signal. Well it sounds exactly like the neck pickup when in the lead circuit! This surprises me! How can they sound the same if there is a capacitor on the tone control in the lead position? They really sound exactly the same! Does the tone control on the bottom lead circuit have a no load pot that takes the tone control completely out of the circuit when full on? I’m sort of confused. I’ll have to put a cap in the top tone control just to get a different sound. Weird, huh? Any suggestions for a cap value? Or should I try a few and see if I can fine tune it to something that I just might love! What’s you all’s thoughts? :fp:
I dearly love my Kurt Cobain (Now An Alan Cargile) Jaguar! 😎And now I have a Team of Mustang’s! And wouldn’t you know it… I love them too!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:25 pm

Alanbama wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:59 pm
Well, I just learned something. I just took the top control plate off my Jaguar to look at the cap and wiring setup. I’m going to have to order some caps to try in there. So I figured since it was basically unusable like it was, I decided to cut one of the cap legs on the tone control taking it completely out of the setup. I wondered what the neck pickup would sound like with nothing but a volume control in the signal. Well it sounds exactly like the neck pickup when in the lead circuit! This surprises me! How can they sound the same if there is a capacitor on the tone control in the lead position? They really sound exactly the same! Does the tone control on the bottom lead circuit have a no load pot that takes the tone control completely out of the circuit when full on? I’m sort of confused. I’ll have to put a cap in the top tone control just to get a different sound. Weird, huh? Any suggestions for a cap value? Or should I try a few and see if I can fine tune it to something that I just might love! What’s you all’s thoughts? :fp:
The Cobain wiring is unusual. The tone control that looks like it is just in the lead circuit (as in standard jag wiring) is actually common to both circuits.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... A_SISD.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Emil
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Emil » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:12 am

I did some mods on the wiring for my Cobain Jag (well my guitar-tech did), first i put push pull on the lead volume knobs to split the humbuckers separately, then I added a two way switch next to the 3-way toggle where there’s a blank space for series/parallell when both pickups are engaged. Now the possibilities are endless and all the original sounds are still there.

The rhythm-circuit is not too dark with the neck pickup split.

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:50 am

Wow! Thank you so very much for the diagram and link! That helped me tremendously! I really appreciate that timtam! And emil, those mods sound great! I really would like to do those! Is your tech available?😀. Thank you for your input!

Emil
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Emil » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:35 am

Alanbama wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:50 am
Wow! Thank you so very much for the diagram and link! That helped me tremendously! I really appreciate that timtam! And emil, those mods sound great! I really would like to do those! Is your tech available?😀. Thank you for your input!
He is available for everyone in Stockholm Sweden!

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:40 am

LOL!!!! Wow! That’s quite a long drive from Alabama, USA! :) Thanks for your help!

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:30 pm

I’ve ordered some capacitors but in the mean time I found one in my tool bag. It’s an Orange Drop a .022uf is that the proper way to put it? Anyway I soldered it to my rhythm tone control and it works very good. At least I have a functional tone control there. It’s not dark at all of course. It’s probably what’s on my lead circuit tone pot. We’ll see I guess.

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:07 pm

Oh, I see. I’ll be ordering a couple of those. Thank you! What would you recommend for a tone capacitor value?

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:45 pm

I got tired of my coil split setup! So I ripped it all out and rewired my guitar from scratch! I just used the pickups, 3 way switch volume and tone pots and it’s never sounded better. As I have mentioned I wired the tone control with 50’s wiring using a.0033uf capacitor for tone and that alone made a huge difference! I now have a useable tone circuit I got the wiring diagram from the Dimarzio web site I’m going to put a blank plate on the upper control center. There’s nothing in there anyway. I really am delighted with the sound. It made a bigger difference than I thought it would in a very good way. So I guess it’s an Alan Cargile Artist Series! 8) Oh, I also put an American Vintage Jaguar/ Jazzmaster tremolo in it. Of course I had to buy the arm separately. It snaps in and it’s a bit thinner. The tremolo is absolutely incredible! When adjusted properly for the lock it has the arm sits a good bit higher than a regular one! This has the advantage of almost doing complete dive bombs with it! It has amazing travel up and down and the arm is very snug. I like it a lot. With the fixed bridge setup I have it stays in tune extremely well! As you can probably tell I absolutely love this instrument! And I’ve also gone to.10’s with my strings and I really like it. Anyway, thanks for listening to me. I just wanted to tell you all!