Mastery bridge and vibrato, metallic overtones.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
movinginslomo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Mastery bridge and vibrato, metallic overtones.

Post by movinginslomo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:30 pm

Partsmaster (jazzmaster) with a fender player neck (rosewood) shimmed with a 1° shim. Curtis Novak HC foil pickups. Mastery bridge and vibrato. I am getting significant metallic overtones, that are only exacerbated by gain/distortion. Is this a normal quality of mastery bridges? Again. neck shimmed, bridge raised

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery bridge and vibrato, metallic overtones.

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:14 pm

The Mastery bridge tends to let those overtones come through a bit more and generally doesn’t require too much break angle, so that much of a shim may not be necessary.
Seems unlikely that would change things too much though.

I’d make sure the strings aren’t doing anything weird at/behind the nut too.

movinginslomo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by movinginslomo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:29 pm

I shoved foam behind the bridge and nut as a test, the nut made little difference which leads me to believe it was the bridge. How do offset players like J and sonic youth deal with this?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:19 pm

movinginslomo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:29 pm
I shoved foam behind the bridge and nut as a test, the nut made little difference which leads me to believe it was the bridge. How do offset players like J and sonic youth deal with this?
By embracing it.

This is just what offsets do, Mastery or not (though I'd definitely believe that a Mastery would/could amplify these 'third bridge' overtones more on some guitars when compared with a traditional Fender bridge).

I mean... probably every Sonic Youth album released features very deliberate behind the bridge picking/playing.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

movinginslomo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by movinginslomo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:52 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:19 pm
movinginslomo wrote:
By embracing it.

This is just what offsets do, Mastery or not (though I'd definitely believe that a Mastery would/could amplify these 'third bridge' overtones more on some guitars when compared with a traditional Fender bridge).

I mean... probably every Sonic Youth album released features very deliberate behind the bridge picking/playing.
Yea last time I dealt with this level of overtones it was microphonic pickups

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 am

Check the break-angle and reduce the shim height, as suggested. Reducing string tension should help. If you're not adverse to heavier gauge flatwounds, you can get some great, unique sounds from that combination. It also helps tame the (most often) coveted overringing.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:41 am

movinginslomo wrote:
Well there isn’t a single Sonic Youth record with a mastery bridge on it and none on Dinosaur records either.

Can you record what your hearing?

movinginslomo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by movinginslomo » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:18 am

eggwheat wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:41 am
movinginslomo wrote:
Well there isn’t a single Sonic Youth record with a mastery bridge on it and none on Dinosaur records either.

Saw J and company (dino Jr) in June and he was using a mastery, purple anodized to be exact and Thurston uses a mastery live as well. https://masterybridge.com/musicians/

and here's a clip: metallic

(feel free to poke around the rest of my public soundcloud)

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:23 pm

Just weave some felt/fabric or tape around the strings between the bridge and the vibrato.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:34 am

movinginslomo wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:18 am
eggwheat wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:41 am
movinginslomo wrote:

Saw J and company (dino Jr) in June and he was using a mastery, purple anodized to be exact and Thurston uses a mastery live as well. https://masterybridge.com/musicians/

and here's a clip: metallic

(feel free to poke around the rest of my public soundcloud)
Yeh was talking about Sonic Youth and Dinosaur records...all those amazing records, not a mastery bridge in sight. So if it doesnt work, then maybe just find a decent stock bridge or staytrem. No music will suffer in the process.

Cant hear your track? Says track doesnt exist(or private?).

movinginslomo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by movinginslomo » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:10 am

ah made the clip public can't find a way to share a private link. And to be fair, the classic records were made when those guy struggled with stock bridges, with the same problems mastery (and stay trem and later Fender themselves) tried to solve

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:17 am

I get the same thing from the Staytrem on my Squier CV. ::shrug::
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

movinginslomo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by movinginslomo » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:29 am

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:17 am
Maybe it just comes with the territory? I don't get with my JMJM with stock AOM and vibrato, but that's a TOM style. Maybe this is just what Jazzmaster/Jag players deal with who use traditional setups

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:17 am

I listened to the clip. That's actually quite tame by Offset standards.

To me, it's a feature and not a bug. I have other guitars I'd use if I needed tight palm muting with a heavily distorted tone.

You can weave a little piece of foam between the strings behind the bridge to stop it, without having to resort to the abomination that is the buzzstop.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:46 pm

movinginslomo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:29 am
Maggieo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:17 am
Maybe it just comes with the territory? I don't get with my JMJM with stock AOM and vibrato, but that's a TOM style. Maybe this is just what Jazzmaster/Jag players deal with who use traditional setups
I did suggest that a week or so ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
David McComb, 1987.