Jazzmaster high E string seems higher tension than other strings

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Joshb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster high E string seems higher tension than other strings

Post by Joshb » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:29 am

Hi

I have a MiJ 2016 JM vintage reissue. something i noticed was that high E seems higher tension than the B or G, I have not noticed a difference in tension like this on my strat or on a CV JM I played.

It doesn't stop me bending its just noticeable when playing and kind of throws me off a bit have to adjust how much pressure to use between strings

Just using regular Ernie ball 10's (It works for me)

Bridge break angle seems fines, nut is fine, trem set up fine, no buzzing or anything, using a mustang bridge 7.25 radius to match the neck, action is- 1.75mm at the 12th fret, action at nut is - 0.3mm (no capo). relief is 0.3mm at the 9th

I have searched and read a few mentions of this but never really read a decent reason why this is happening.

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster high E string seems higher tension than other strings

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:56 pm

Maybe the string was labeled incorrectly and you have one that’s actually thicker than a .010?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster high E string seems higher tension than other strings

Post by timtam » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:18 pm

Assuming this is a long-standing issue across new string sets, there are a number of things it could be, and a number that it can't be. String tension is entirely due to scale length, tuned frequency, and string mass per unit length (~= gauge squared). That results in reasonably balanced tension across most sets, although vendors' 'balanced' sets choose slightly different gauges to even things out a little more (as gauge is really the only room they have to move, to adjust tensions). So unless you're using an odd tuning or an unusually higher gauge E, it's probably unlikely that it's a real tension difference that you're feeling.

But few string vendors publish their string tensions. They all use the same ASTM A228 'music wire' for plain strings and wound cores, so you can get an idea of your EB set's tension from looking at say D'Addario's published tensions for the same gauges.
https://www.daddario.com/products/guita ... ght-10-46/

Playing 'feel' also comes down to string stiffness - that's the (finger) force required to change string length, when bending or fretting. In addition to string tension, stiffness is affected by the guitar's geometry. There's no simple formula for stiffness as with tension. But for example the lengths of string post-nut and post-bridge come into play (they are dragged into bends), as well as friction at their bearing points (nut and saddle). But that's unlikely to explain a difference on a single string on a given guitar.

Bends nearer to the nut can feel stiffer because the two lengths of string you're stretching/bending are different, or if the first fret action is high. So bending on the lower frets of the E can feel stiffer than the same note higher up on the B. I recently moved something I was playing from a lower-fret full-step bend to a higher fret on the next string because of that.

Higher action can make fretting/bending feel stiffer - even though actual string stiffness is no greater - because you're having to push the string further to get it down onto the fret. But in your case your first and 12th fret actions are not high.

Amongst all that, the simplest way to get less string tension and stiffness is often to go to a lower gauge. ;)
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.