Pros/Cons of a Mustang bridge on a Jazzmaster?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
beatcomber
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pros/Cons of a Mustang bridge on a Jazzmaster?

Post by beatcomber » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:39 pm

Hello all -

This is my first thread on OSG, although I've been lurking for a while. Hello, everyone!

Last autumn I purchased a gently used Vintera '60s Jazzmaster, which arrived with a terrible set-up. It appeared that the original owner futzed around with the bridge but didn't have a clue how to dial it in, which is probably why she sold it so quickly! Like many neophytes, I also struggled for quite a while with the set-up. The rattling and instability of the bridge was easy to fix with blue Loctite and a neck shim, but it took a little longer to figure out how to best adjust the vibrato tension. I got the relief set up per spec, but I don't have a radius gauge and relied on using a coin to get the saddles' relative heights correct.

The one area that gave me the most trouble was figuring how to correctly position the strings on the threaded saddles, since there are quite a lot of options. I tried aligning the strings with the centers of the poles on bridge pickup and also tried it with the neck pickup, and it just didn't feel right; I think the pickups were not perfectly positioned at the factory. That, combined with the round 7.25" radius, was giving me fits. I struggled for weeks trying to get the low action I like without the high E choking above the 12th fret.

Late one night last week, in a fit of frustration, I said 'flark it' and ordered an All Parts Mustang bridge on Amazon. I figured that the pre-set saddle heights and string spacing would solve the problems I was wrestling with.

Literally the very next night, I took a fresh look at the bridge set-up, and it dawned on my that I should start by positioning the D and G strings on either side of the neck dot closest to the heel, and then position the outer strings accordingly. VOILA! That did the trick. I achieved the low action I wanted and the high E on the upper frets no longer chokes. The Jazzmaster was immediately transformed into a terrific, fun playing guitar as soon as I had that revelation!

So here's the thing... With all of the set-up problems solved and the guitar playing great, I still had that Mustang bridge on its way, and it was delivered today. I can easily return it for a refund - it's still in its packaging - but it only cost $20 , so I'm wondering if I should just hang onto it.

This longwinded post leads to the following question:
What benefits, if any, would I gain by swapping in the Mustang bridge at this point? Do the larger saddles have more mass (= more sustain)? Is there a meaningful tonal difference between the chrome Mustang saddles and threaded steel JM saddles?

Should I just call it a day and send back the Mustang bridge?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pros/Cons of a Mustang bridge on a Jazzmaster?

Post by JSett » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:45 pm

Keep the Mustang bridge...you'll soon realise why
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

beatcomber
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by beatcomber » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:49 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:45 pm
Keep the Mustang bridge...you'll soon realise why
You're being coy, LOL! Please explain.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:04 pm

No downsides to the Mustang bridge, except in the incredibly rare chance that you actually want your own individual spacing.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

beatcomber
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by beatcomber » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:10 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:04 pm
No downsides to the Mustang bridge, except in the incredibly rare chance that you actually want your own individual spacing.
No benefit either over a properly working Jazzmaster bridge?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:14 pm

Well, I very much dislike the traditional Jazzmaster bridge, it was all I had for years and I dealt with it, but the moment something better came along I never looked back.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:25 pm

Unless the Mustang bridge is 52mm spacing send it back.

I will take mild annoyance with the stock bridge over E strings barely over the fretboard any day.

Once your refund comes through buy a Staytrem. :)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:26 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:25 pm

Yeah, this is really the answer here. Spend a little more, get a LOT more.

beatcomber
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by beatcomber » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:49 pm

marqueemoon wrote:

I will take mild annoyance with the stock bridge over E strings barely over the fretboard any day.
A ha!!!

I measured the Mustang spacing... 57mm. The spacing on the JM bridge is indeed 52mm.

I have the answer I needed! THANK YOU!!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:30 pm

beatcomber wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:49 pm
marqueemoon wrote:

A ha!!!

I measured the Mustang spacing... 57mm. The spacing on the JM bridge is indeed 52mm.

I have the answer I needed! THANK YOU!!
Well there you go. Welcome to the forum. :D

beatcomber
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by beatcomber » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:48 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:30 pm

Well there you go. Welcome to the forum. :D

Thank you!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:43 pm

In order of preference I think a lot of people here would go:

Mastery > Staytrem > Mustang > Jazzmaster

Which is also the order in which they usually are regards price. The Mastery is a bit more divisive these days as some have grown to not like them so much now we have Staytrem as an option. I flip-flop between the two. I prefer the look and feel of the Staytrem but I don't like how they darken up some guitars. On a Jaguar I like the brightness the Mastery brings whereas on a JM the Staytrem does tame some of that overly bright bridge pickup quite nicely.

As for being coy, lol, apologies. The stock threaded bridges on offsets were always the worst part of these guitars since day one...and a LOT of us have had to go through the pain and suffering of trying to stabilise them with all manner of bodges and fixes - involving filing, loctite, clear nail-polish, wedges, etc...just in the vain attempt to stop them rattling, moving, strings jumping, etc. Mustang bridges were the only real fix we had for a very long time and will always be seen as an upgrade (as long as the spacing is correct). The Staytrem is like a Mustang bridge on steroids...but comes with a higher price tag.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:16 am

marqueemoon wrote:

this.

beatcomber
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by beatcomber » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:22 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:43 pm

Which is also the order in which they usually are regards price. The Mastery is a bit more divisive these days as some have grown to not like them so much now we have Staytrem as an option. I flip-flop between the two. I prefer the look and feel of the Staytrem but I don't like how they darken up some guitars. On a Jaguar I like the brightness the Mastery brings whereas on a JM the Staytrem does tame some of that overly bright bridge pickup quite nicely.

As for being coy, lol, apologies. The stock threaded bridges on offsets were always the worst part of these guitars since day one...and a LOT of us have had to go through the pain and suffering of trying to stabilise them with all manner of bodges and fixes - involving filing, loctite, clear nail-polish, wedges, etc...just in the vain attempt to stop them rattling, moving, strings jumping, etc. Mustang bridges were the only real fix we had for a very long time and will always be seen as an upgrade (as long as the spacing is correct). The Staytrem is like a Mustang bridge on steroids...but comes with a higher price tag.
I appreciate the detailed response, thank you!

Of course, a lot depends on the strings that the user is using. If one is using .009s or .010s, I can totally see why the stock bridge is a huge problem. I should have mentioned that I am using .011-.047 Thomastik Infeld flatwounds, which are probably similar to the strings that Leo designed the Jazzmaster for.

bluemonday
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bluemonday » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:33 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:43 pm

I had a Mastery on my JM and Mustang bridge on the Jag (both strung with flats), and in the end I preferred the opposite. For me the Mastery addend more sparkle and sustain to the short scale, and I like the shorter decay and "thump" I get on the JM now with the Mustang bridge. Of course this is all a matter of personal preference. I have a Staytrem coming for my Bass VI for so many reasons---one being the longer travel for intonating the heavy low E.