Novak JM-V vs JM-Fat

For help with setups and other technical issues.
gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Novak JM-V vs JM-Fat

Post by gusgorman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:19 am

Hello,

I've had the Novak JM-V / JM-Fat combo in my CIJ pretty much since I owned it. I love the JM-V in the neck, but never really bonded with the JM-Fat in the bridge, certainly not on its own anyway. It does sound good with overdrive, but I play my Jazzmaster clean 99% of the time.

I want to stick with a classic JM sound in this guitar, so I'm debating getting hold of a JM-V for the bridge too.

Can anyone describe what the difference is going to be? I know its hard to put these things into words.

Or as I'm in the UK I'm wondering if I should just try a JM bridge pickup from one of the UK winders, such as the creamery,

Thanks!

IceBlueBoogaloo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Novak JM-V vs JM-Fat

Post by IceBlueBoogaloo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:36 am

I can’t speak from experience but my understanding of the JM-Fat (and fat bridges in general) is that it’s designed to compensate for the weaker string vibrations near the bridge.

But I managed to nail a much more satisfying tone from the bridge just by adjusting the pickup height until volume levels were balanced between the two pickups. For reference, this is on a stock Vintera JM which is supposed to be pretty faithful. Novak and Creamery should both be good options for getting a classic JM bridge.

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:51 am

IceBlueBoogaloo wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:36 am
I can’t speak from experience but my understanding of the JM-Fat (and fat bridges in general) is that it’s designed to compensate for the weaker string vibrations near the bridge.

But I managed to nail a much more satisfying tone from the bridge just by adjusting the pickup height until volume levels were balanced between the two pickups. For reference, this is on a stock Vintera JM which is supposed to be pretty faithful. Novak and Creamery should both be good options for getting a classic JM bridge.
Thanks for the reply.

Yep I think I need to give a classic JM bridge p/up a try. I've had the JM-Fat for about 4 or 5 years now so I've given it a good go.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:36 pm

I had a JM-V/JM-V combo in a Jazzmaster and found that the bridge sound was too shrill. I replaced the bridge with a JM-FAT, which evened out the high end ice pick sound. I find it much more useable than the JM-V.

MapachoPunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MapachoPunk » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:57 pm

gusgorman wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:19 am
Hello,

I've had the Novak JM-V / JM-Fat combo in my CIJ pretty much since I owned it. I love the JM-V in the neck, but never really bonded with the JM-Fat in the bridge, certainly not on its own anyway. It does sound good with overdrive, but I play my Jazzmaster clean 99% of the time.

I want to stick with a classic JM sound in this guitar, so I'm debating getting hold of a JM-V for the bridge too.

Can anyone describe what the difference is going to be? I know its hard to put these things into words.

Or as I'm in the UK I'm wondering if I should just try a JM bridge pickup from one of the UK winders, such as the creamery,

Thanks!

I'm currently trying to decide on this very thing. What did you decide? How did it go? I also play clean most of the time and want to maintain the classic JM sound, but it seems many favor the JM-Fat in the bridge.

Thanks!

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:00 am

Most smaller pickup makers will allow you to customize your pickups a bit. Like our OSG'er that runs Sunday Pickups, and to a certain extent Lollar, Fralin, Pickup Wizard, and others allow for a little bit of bespoke work. Lollar and Fralin make + 5% and -5% of their standard Jazzmaster style pickups. A -5% neck and a +5% bridge balance well. Sunday and Pickup Wizard will allow you to really customize windings. Both my pairs of black bobbin Pickup Wizards have +10% bridge pickups. They don't hit an amp as hard as a JM-FAT does but have enough windings to attenuate a bit of treble. That has worked better for me than anyone's set of off-the-shelf standard Jazzmaster pickups.