JM-FAT Pickup Question

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Peckhammer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

JM-FAT Pickup Question

Post by Peckhammer » Mon May 16, 2022 8:08 pm

I recently bought a Novak JM FAT bridge pickup. Sounds great. It’s a pretty huge pickup. Anyone know what wire gauge it is? I’ve looked at a lot of reverb ads and there seems to be a small variety of differences on these pickups. Magnet length and DCR seems to vary. The magnets on mine are flush with the bottom of the bobbin, maybe an A5 around .531”. DCR reads 7.19K. Anyone have a different one? Just interested in the details on this sonic wonder.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JM-FAT Pickup Question

Post by Lost In Autumn » Wed May 18, 2022 1:51 am

have you reached out to Curtis Novak? Sometimes he responds to emails.

Peckhammer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JM-FAT Pickup Question

Post by Peckhammer » Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:51 am
have you reached out to Curtis Novak? Sometimes he responds to emails.
Well, Curtis is a really nice person to talk with, but I'm suspecting that he doesn't include wire gauge, magnet type and DCR on his website for a reason.

I've read that the JM-FAT is wound with 38 gauge wire (possibly on OSG). I measured the extra wire that was dangling from the eyelet with a caliper and the conversion from inches to AGW put it at around 40 gauge. I don't trust the accuracy of that method, however.

I've also seen DCR reported as low as 5K, though the one I have measure a bit over 7K. In perusing sold reverb ads, few if any list DCR. In comparing the pictures, there are a variety of magnet lengths in use on this pickup. Might be a "use what you got" sort of thing. I obsess over details, and the variance has peaked my curiosity. I could speak to a psychologist about it, or I could just post to OSG. And here we are.