Bridge height thoughts? (Answer not in FAQs)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Nirotic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Bridge height thoughts? (Answer not in FAQs)

Post by Nirotic » Sat May 07, 2022 4:15 am

Purchased 2021 Squier CV 60s Jazzmaster from GC. Needed lots of setup including shimming neck. I used relatively thin grip tape (not skateboard). It seemed thin enough that I used 2 layers at the front the neck pocket and one in the middle for a bit more stability. I calculated the angle to be approximately 2 degrees. That is 43/1000 rise over 2 inches. Maybe a bit less if compressed. String action is set to 4/64" high E and 5/64" low E which I do on most my guitars and feels and sounds good one this one too. The bottom of the bridge is 12/64" above the pickguard (the adjustment screws are almost exactly half in the posts and half out). This seems like the bridge is floating a bit high however it functions great (after adding threadlock to the adjustment screws) and the low E string is very slightly separated from the screw head in the vibrato plate so the don't contact/rub. The pickups are as high as the foam will raise them (between 8/64" and 10/64" from E strings with strings fretted at 21st fret). It sounds good.
With that all said, would you reduce neck angle to lower bridge and maybe get pickups closer to strings or say it's good?
Last edited by Nirotic on Sat May 07, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bridge height thoughts? (Answer not in FAQs)

Post by timtam » Sat May 07, 2022 5:23 am

12/64" (4.8mm) is ballpark normal for rocking bridge height I would say. Unlikely to be too high. The need for bridge height is to achieve a certain string break angle over the bridge, which in turn determines how much of the string's tension is "seen" by the bridge as downforce on the saddles. String tension (gauge) and break angle together determine the ultimate string downforce. If you have higher gauge strings you can get by with less break angle, and vice-versa if you have a higher break angle (higher bridge, more shim).

String downforce is important for holding bridge components in place (less rattling), keeping the strings in their grooves, as well as ensuring sufficiently-high friction at the string-saddle contact points. That friction is important for consistent bridge rocking with trem use, so that the bridge returns to exactly where it started (ensuring tuning stability).

If the 2 grub screws that control bridge height are extended out too much of their total length for your liking, you can always get longer screws (conical tip grub screws on ebay, 4-40 for MIA guitars; M3 for Asian-made bridges, incl many MIM). So more of the screw will remain threaded within the post.

Many people now prefer Stewmac's tapered full-pocket shims, but your approach has been used for decades.

Your pickup heights are perhaps a tad on the low side (ie further from the strings), but that's often a matter of taste.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat May 07, 2022 9:00 am

If you want the pickups higher i would say adding more foam is the way to go. They are a little low but bridge is fine. That said you may still like the pickups at current height but worth a try if you feel the need to.

Nirotic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nirotic » Sat May 07, 2022 7:42 pm

Thanks for the responses. I will leave the shims and bridge as they are. While I'm tempted to replace or add foam to raise the pickups, it sounds good and I like that, theoretically, the lower pickups may contribute to more sustain.

Nirotic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nirotic » Mon May 30, 2022 5:56 am

That didn't last long. hehe. The bridge seemed at its upper limits because I wanted to adjust the pickups a bit closer to the strings without adding or replacing foam underneath. I reduced the neck pocket shim by half in height. I was able then to lower the bridge to where it now sits with the bottom of it 7/64" above the pickguard. This still looks and works good and I was able to adjust the pickups so the high side is 6/64" from the high E and the low side is 8/64" from the low E. The low E string has a paper thin clearance over the screw head on the vibrato plate so that worked out just right too.

Todd Connelly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Todd Connelly » Tue May 31, 2022 7:12 pm

I have a CV 70s Jaguar and a VM Jazzmaster. I Installed a Fender Mute on the Jaguar. Both are at 15/64" above the pick guard. On the Jaguar I consider this to be the perfect height to work with the mute. So I have to assume it was designed that way. (they are both traditional threaded saddle bridges so that may make a difference). Fwiw My pickup heights are 8-10/64th" with the strings fretted at the last fret.

Cheers............................Todd

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue May 31, 2022 7:28 pm

Todd Connelly wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:12 pm
I have a CV 70s Jaguar and a VM Jazzmaster. I Installed a Fender Mute on the Jaguar. Both are at 15/64" above the pick guard. On the Jaguar I consider this to be the perfect height to work with the mute. So I have to assume it was designed that way. (they are both traditional threaded saddle bridges so that may make a difference). Fwiw My pickup heights are 8-10/64th" with the strings fretted at the last fret.

Cheers............................Todd
15/64" (6mm) is a good height for the rocking bridge above the pickguard. I saw someone in a Facebook group recently suggesting someone's bridge at around that height was too high. The pic s/he showed of their "setup" had the bridge plate down flat on the pickguard with a buzzstop behind !
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:52 pm

Either way is fine. The lower clearance is fine too and will help prevent screw clearance. In a way i guess it didn't need as big of a shim. In another way adding foam would be nothing to avoid, but sounds sorted.