500K Pots for MIJ Mustang

For help with setups and other technical issues.
lawzenge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

500K Pots for MIJ Mustang

Post by lawzenge » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 pm

I was looking to replace the stock 250k pots in my MIJ MG-69 Mustang with some Alpha 500k pots but was disappointed when they did not fit the smaller control plate. I would like to keep the control plate stock as it sits close to the pickguard. Where can I find 500k pots that will fit the MIJ control plate? Having a hard time searching the web for a direct drop in replacement. Thanks for reading!

Here are the current pots. You can see they are much smaller: https://imgur.com/a/3JfJjRZ

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 500K Pots for MIJ Mustang

Post by JSett » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:05 pm

lawzenge wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 pm
I was looking to replace the stock 250k pots in my MIJ MG-69 Mustang with some Alpha 500k pots but was disappointed when they did not fit the smaller control plate. I would like to keep the control plate stock as it sits close to the pickguard. Where can I find 500k pots that will fit the MIJ control plate? Having a hard time searching the web for a direct drop in replacement. Thanks for reading!

Here are the current pots. You can see they are much smaller: https://imgur.com/a/3JfJjRZ
If it were me I'd drill out the holes so the better pots fit. It's a tiny difference (0.35mm) so if you ever want to return it to stock the old pots will still be fine once in, washered and tightened. You just need a 1/4" HSS bit, some masking tape and a drill and you'll be good to go πŸ‘πŸ» all the better quality pots are 6.35mm / 1/4" shaft really and any future owner, if you're concerned with that, will be thankful for the upgrade.

*EDIT: as per below correction, those are the pot shaft sizes, I got muddled. You need to enlarge to 3/8"
Last edited by JSett on Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

lawzenge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lawzenge » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:53 pm

johnnysomersett wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:05 pm
lawzenge wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 pm

If it were me I'd drill out the holes so the better pots fit. It's a tiny difference (0.35mm) so if you ever want to return it to stock the old pots will still be fine once in, washered and tightened. You just need a 1/4" HSS bit, some masking tape and a drill and you'll be good to go πŸ‘πŸ» all the better quality pots are 6.35mm / 1/4" shaft really and any future owner, if you're concerned with that, will be thankful for the upgrade.
It looks like that is my best option. I will look into drilling it out and get some CTS pots to install. Thanks!

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:15 pm

You must be thinking of knobs or something. A regular full size pot has a 3/8" thread, while those Alpha mini pots are 7mm.

Also, drilling out the control plate is not fun. That steel is not that soft, and the bit will grab trying to enlarge a hole like that.

People may say that CTS are better, but I think the Alphas are still okay, and the drop-in 500k replacement would be Alpha R-VAM500KA, iirc. They shouldn't be too hard to find.

And as for the knobs, those MIJ/CIJ's are press-on for coarse spline shafts. You can force them onto a CTS fine-splined pot without too much trouble, if you're not worried about it being perfect. Otherwise if you go with CTS pots you might want to get smooth-shafts and full size knobs, which are slightly larger.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

lawzenge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lawzenge » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 pm

tammyw wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:15 pm
You must be thinking of knobs or something. A regular full size pot has a 3/8" thread, while those Alpha mini pots are 7mm.

Also, drilling out the control plate is not fun. That steel is not that soft, and the bit will grab trying to enlarge a hole like that.

People may say that CTS are better, but I think the Alphas are still okay, and the drop-in 500k replacement would be Alpha R-VAM500KA, iirc. They shouldn't be too hard to find.

And as for the knobs, those MIJ/CIJ's are press-on for coarse spline shafts. You can force them onto a CTS fine-splined pot without too much trouble, if you're not worried about it being perfect. Otherwise if you go with CTS pots you might want to get smooth-shafts and full size knobs, which are slightly larger.
This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the model number. I was hesitant to drill out the control plate and didn't even think about the knobs. Slightly off topic but any recommendation for what tone cap would be good for a Mustang?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 pm

tammyw wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:15 pm

Ahhhhhhh, yes, had a total brain fart there. Yes, those are the knob shaft sizes :fp: sorry, it was early in the morning. Tammy is correct to correct me, knob shaft is 6.3 / 1/4", thread size is 9.5mm / 3/8" (I think, it's early again hahah)

I found the MIJ steel to be pretty soft compared to others I have drilled but definitely would advise clamping it down anyway and being careful.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?