Fender Pure Vintage 65 jaguar pickup set

For help with setups and other technical issues.
kasha-s
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Pure Vintage 65 jaguar pickup set

Post by kasha-s » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Hello, I'm new there.
Have some question about PV 65 Jaguar pickups.
I bought new Fender pure vintage 65 jaguar pickup set on ebay. There are two neck pickups (black + white wire and blue dot) and no bridge pickup (yellow + black wire with red dot). Is it normal? How i can identify bridge or neck pickup?
Sorry for my bad english.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Pure Vintage 65 jaguar pickup set

Post by timtam » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:28 pm

Welcome !
PV65 neck and bridge pickups are the same pickup (same DCR, same inductance). A "set" of neck and bridge does normally has different colour wires for each (for no good reason). For the two neck pickups you have, white is hot and black is ground. If you put one in the neck position and one in the bridge position, they will sound different solely because of their different positions in the guitar. You can install them however you wish - the effect will be the same.
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-pu ... 992238000/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

kasha-s
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kasha-s » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:10 am

timtam wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:28 pm
Welcome !
PV65 neck and bridge pickups are the same pickup (same DCR, same inductance). A "set" of neck and bridge does normally has different colour wires for each (for no good reason). For the two neck pickups you have, white is hot and black is ground. If you put one in the neck position and one in the bridge position, they will sound different solely because of their different positions in the guitar. You can install them however you wish - the effect will be the same.
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-pu ... 992238000/
Thanks for your answer.
I have two guitars - 2000 avri 62 jaguar and 2013 Av65 jaguar, and both have yellow and black wire on bridge pickup, all pictures in fender.com, ebay, eshops have this color - yellow/black, it's confusing.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:42 am

If it's any help I put the yellow wired one as the bridge pickup. I can't remember where I found this out, but I must have done some research before committing knowing how picky I can be. ;D

This was during the wiring up stage. I fitted an Eric Clapton mid boost as well, but that doesn't change how the pickups were connected wrt their colours.

Interesting that since they are both the same DC rating and inductance, so it doesn't really matter anyway. ;D

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:31 pm

Two neck pickups will sound the same for this particular set of pickups. The only downside is that they won’t be hum cancelling when both pickups are enabled at the same time. Normally the neck pickup is wound with reverse winding and reverse polarity so that the hum is cancelled when both are active.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Yellow wired one is definitely the bridge pickup. I had my AV65 Jag apart just this week putting the regular pickups back in - I was smart enough to label them as I took then out so I didn't get confused if they ever went back in.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

kasha-s
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kasha-s » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:27 am

Fender sending me answer.

"Thank you for contacting us. The Bridge pickup should have a yellow and black wire and a red dot, while the Neck pickup should have a white and black wire and a blue dot. I recommend contacting the seller on eBay for an exchange. Let me know if you have any further questions."

Sent a letter to the seller

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:25 pm

If you have a meter I would check the resistance and put the one with more in bridge. Or set it up however you like since that is personal preference. Typically people will put a hotter pickup in bridge though.
IME, with equivalent pickups (IE two bridge branded ones, even production ones) can vary +/- 0.6-0.7k.