Help my pickup has slid out of my jaguar

For help with setups and other technical issues.
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help my pickup has slid out of my jaguar

Post by timtam » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:26 pm

Screwing pickup screws directly into wood was not one of Leo's better ideas. I replace the stock screws with 3mm rivet nuts and M3 humbucker-style screws (with spring).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

auxiliaryjoel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by auxiliaryjoel » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:49 pm

timtam wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:26 pm
Screwing pickup screws directly into wood was not one of Leo's better ideas. I replace the stock screws with 3mm rivet nuts and M3 humbucker-style screws (with spring).
Oh yeah nice. Is the direct to wood method style the same for Jazzmasters or any other fender models?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:26 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:25 pm
Lies. Baking a cake is definitely above your skill level, based on previous information.
:D :D
auxiliaryjoel wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:08 pm
Nah Not fixed yet. I was toying with the idea of putting lollars in. Now this happened I figured it's the perfect time. I have them on order. Will do the repair and install them once they arrive.
And asking questions is always helpful.
That's pretty much what forums are for right?
I wasn't dramatising or over exaggerating when I asked "should I never adjust pickups?" I was generally curious as I never knew how the pickups stayed in place and now seeing the way I do I wondered if they're not meant to be adjusted.
Geez you're right though, in the time I made this reply I could have baked a cake. Damnit I've let you down again.
I should just create a forum thread and never read or reply on it.
Well I hope, for the guitar's sake, you'll be getting someone with the required skillset to install the Lollars on your behalf. It's a little more complex than the hole repair and I'd hate for you to struggle and have to use anything more than sellotape to make the connection ::)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

auxiliaryjoel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by auxiliaryjoel » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:34 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:26 pm
adamrobertt wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:25 pm
Lies. Baking a cake is definitely above your skill level, based on previous information.
:D :D
auxiliaryjoel wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:08 pm
Nah Not fixed yet. I was toying with the idea of putting lollars in. Now this happened I figured it's the perfect time. I have them on order. Will do the repair and install them once they arrive.
And asking questions is always helpful.
That's pretty much what forums are for right?
I wasn't dramatising or over exaggerating when I asked "should I never adjust pickups?" I was generally curious as I never knew how the pickups stayed in place and now seeing the way I do I wondered if they're not meant to be adjusted.
Geez you're right though, in the time I made this reply I could have baked a cake. Damnit I've let you down again.
I should just create a forum thread and never read or reply on it.
Well I hope, for the guitar's sake, you'll be getting someone with the required skillset to install the Lollars on your behalf. It's a little more complex than the hole repair and I'd hate for you to struggle and have to use anything more than sellotape to make the connection ::)
you're really quite rude

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:48 pm

auxiliaryjoel wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:34 pm
you're really quite rude
I didn't appreciate the previous sarcasm, so you got the rude end.
Suck it up kiddo.

auxiliaryjoel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by auxiliaryjoel » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:50 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:48 pm
auxiliaryjoel wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:34 pm
you're really quite rude
I didn't appreciate the previous sarcasm, so you got the rude end.
Suck it up kiddo.
ooof, there you go sounding like a jerk again.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:55 pm

auxiliaryjoel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by auxiliaryjoel » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:55 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:55 pm
ok, now that one I can get on board with

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:52 am

Oh well..

....anyway, if you can find a smaller piece of foam it can be a good idea to reduce the force to prevent future problems- you can use just about anything springy.
Sounds like the foam is what pushed too hard on weak wood. Toothpick+glue imo dont need to redrill probably, cut to length and shove it in. Even matchsticks have lasted well for me when i did this.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:17 am

auxiliaryjoel wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:50 pm
It is abundantly clear that you are acting the jerk, so why don’t you just stop, dude? They are trying to help you, but they are not your therapist. No one is patronizing you, but you are absolutely acting the troll. If you don’t like the advice then don’t listen to it, no need to bring down the board with your little flame war.

Just get over yourself and fix your guitar already. It’s easier than you think; even I figured it out. (And I’m dumb.) Then enjoy this wonderful forum where we respect each other.

Dan

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:23 am

With those little holes, you can normally just put a little wood glue on a tooth pick, put it in the screw hole (make sure that the tooth pick is shortened to the depth of the screw hole), and then screw the pickup down. The tooth pick and glue help rethread the stripped hole. It takes a minute and works great. You can do the same if pickguard screws or any other screws strip on a guitar. :) Don't worry about the strength either. Well glued wood to wood contact is stronger than wood is alone.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:35 am

Yeahhhh... this thread is a bit sus.

I can't quite reconcile how someone goes from, anything beyond turning a screwdriver is too complex - that being, hole + glue and toothpicks - to "yeah, I've got new pickups on the way and I'm going to install them".

Apologies in advance, for being rude :'(
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:08 am

DeathJag wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:17 am
auxiliaryjoel wrote:
It is abundantly clear that you are acting the jerk, so why don’t you just stop, dude? They are trying to help you, but they are not your therapist. No one is patronizing you, but you are absolutely acting the troll. If you don’t like the advice then don’t listen to it, no need to bring down the board with your little flame war.

Just get over yourself and fix your guitar already. It’s easier than you think; even I figured it out. (And I’m dumb.) Then enjoy this wonderful forum where we respect each other.

Dan
Thanks Dan. I didn't think I was being a dick but can be guilty of being a little churlish in tone at times when when faced with unnecessary vitriol.

Auxiliaryjoel, you need to chill a bit. Dan's more than right here in stating that this isn't like other forums where you can act like a snotty child and take offense at things for no good reason. We try to respect each other and, even with differing views and opinions, try to be mindful of the fact those are entitled to by the bearer. You categorically were exaggerating a minor issue and then got sour when myself, and others, pointed out that it's an easily sorted issue and not unusual...and also told you how to do it yourself. This knowledge is given out for free and with no expectation of anything back apart from some kind of gracious passing thanks. Not only would you grow in skills by doing these things yourself but you'd also save $$ by not having to take your guitar to a luthier (or "guitar repairer" as you referred to them as) for such a simple fix.

Or were you just hoping for an echo-chamber of despair and wailing over your plight?

auxiliaryjoel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by auxiliaryjoel » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:15 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:08 am
DeathJag wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:17 am
auxiliaryjoel wrote:

Dan
Thanks Dan. I didn't think I was being a dick but can be guilty of being a little churlish in tone at times when when faced with unnecessary vitriol.

Auxiliaryjoel, you need to chill a bit. Dan's more than right here in stating that this isn't like other forums where you can act like a snotty child and take offense at things for no good reason. We try to respect each other and, even with differing views and opinions, try to be mindful of the fact those are entitled to by the bearer. You categorically were exaggerating a minor issue and then got sour when myself, and others, pointed out that it's an easily sorted issue and not unusual...and also told you how to do it yourself. This knowledge is given out for free and with no expectation of anything back apart from some kind of gracious passing thanks. Not only would you grow in skills by doing these things yourself but you'd also save $$ by not having to take your guitar to a luthier (or "guitar repairer" as you referred to them as) for such a simple fix.

Or were you just hoping for an echo-chamber of despair and wailing over your plight?
I think you were being rude @johnnysomersett, I still do.
sure I was a little child complaining about having to fix it. I was rude too. I was bummed as I'd found my dream Jag in Portugal, that Fender no longer make (2020 Japanese Trad. 60s Lake Placid blue, matching headstock) , and Australia does not have any stock of. I bought it brand new and paid the customs and crazy shipping $ to get it.
Then the first time I go to slightly adjust the pickup it drops out. so yeah I was bummed and acting like a child.
BUT..... I did note myself 11 whole posts prior to you dissing me that I already decided to get over it.
After that I asked some more questions out of general curiosity so I could build up some more knowledge about pickups.
and that's when you chimed in and started dissing me.
so yeah I was a d$#k ; but so were you.
Sorry if I offended you with my sarcasm after that, but you offended me. so I guess there we go around in circles.
your replies seemed quite 'alpha' to me (being someone that's spent my whole life with extreme low self confidence I usually get put off by anyone that sounds overly confident. Bare in mind this may not be your intention at all, I'm just describing to you how I perceived it and how it triggered me) You dissed me out a few times after that so yeah I dissed you back. circles again.
@DeathJag if you see it differently - then fine, that's cool too.
Believe it or not I didn't come here to troll. I just wanted information.I apologise to anyone that I offended;
and I'll make note to approach commenting differently in future.

If anyone is still interested, yes I did get over it many many many posts back.
I glued in some toothpicks, let it dry and screwed in. I received the lollars a few days later and that I did not want to attempt*. so I took it to a guitar repairer.
@johnnysomersett I say "guitar repairer" as this guy has some tech knowledge but does not build guitars. (I'm remote, 19hours drive from our capital city - so luthiers are few and far between).
He installed the lollars for me.

*I've never used a soldering iron before. I would like to try something to get used to it, but making mistakes on $360 worth of pickups did not seem like a good idea.
I think I'd rather buy a cheap DIY pedal kit and break that learning how to solder instead.

Anyway in summary: I got over it. I'm sorry. screw holes fixed. Lollars are awesome.

auxiliaryjoel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by auxiliaryjoel » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:04 pm

HNB wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:23 am
With those little holes, you can normally just put a little wood glue on a tooth pick, put it in the screw hole (make sure that the tooth pick is shortened to the depth of the screw hole), and then screw the pickup down. The tooth pick and glue help rethread the stripped hole. It takes a minute and works great. You can do the same if pickguard screws or any other screws strip on a guitar. :) Don't worry about the strength either. Well glued wood to wood contact is stronger than wood is alone.
cheers HNB yes that's what ended up working for me. I was worried I'd mess the guitar up further but I asked at Bunnings for "wood on wood sturdy glue" and cut/sanded the toothpick to suitable height and it worked!