Mastery bridge issue...height screw slipping

For help with setups and other technical issues.
romo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Mastery bridge issue...height screw slipping

Post by romo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:54 am

The treble side post on my mastery bridge keeps slipping lower and lower. I will be playing and notice the high E and B strings fretting out on bends, then see that the hight of the bridge on that side has slipped really low. It's an older bridge I purchased from Mastery about 11 or 12 years ago. I have had a newer Mastery on a different guitar for the past year with no issue. The guitar is a Squier Classic Vibe. I'm not using Mastery thimbles but the posts fit really tight into the stock hardware. Is there anything I can do to tighten up that height adjustment?

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery bridge issue...height screw slipping

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am

Blue Loctite, formula #242. It's basically glue made specifically for screw threads, and can be broken with the torque provided by hand tools. Just don't buy the red, you'll have a bad time.

romo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by romo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:20 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am
Blue Loctite, formula #242. It's basically glue made specifically for screw threads, and can be broken with the torque provided by hand tools. Just don't buy the red, you'll have a bad time.
Thank you! I'll give it a try.

MatchlessMan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MatchlessMan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:04 am

I just found this thread as I have the same issue on both bridge posts. Over time the action drops enough that strings are choking out from about the 12th fret upwards, even without bending. I made accurate measurements of the height of the bridge plate above the pickguard, and the heights of the saddle tops above the bridge plate. I measured again after a couple of gigs - no change in the saddles, but both posts had dropped about 0.5mm.

So next time I change the strings I will apply some Blue Loctite. Trouble is I use Elixirs, and they last a very long time!

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:47 pm

MatchlessMan wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:04 am
I just found this thread as I have the same issue on both bridge posts. Over time the action drops enough that strings are choking out from about the 12th fret upwards, even without bending. I made accurate measurements of the height of the bridge plate above the pickguard, and the heights of the saddle tops above the bridge plate. I measured again after a couple of gigs - no change in the saddles, but both posts had dropped about 0.5mm.

So next time I change the strings I will apply some Blue Loctite. Trouble is I use Elixirs, and they last a very long time!
Just put a capo on the first fret, loosen the strings and pop the bridge out that way man. Means the strings can be easily kept on. The odd time I have to adjust the truss rod say, that’s what I do. I use Thomastik Infeld’s, so rarely change strings either.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Worth checking first that both of the required adjustments to the height posts have been correctly made, one with the medium allen wrench (5/64"), and one with the small allen wrench (0.050").
https://masterybridge.com/wp-content/up ... 3_15-1.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.