Squier JM neck doesn't sit properly in pocket

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier JM neck doesn't sit properly in pocket

Post by Lobsterdeth » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:04 am

Hi guys, I got one of those CME/Andertons exclusive purple JMs and have been having neck trouble.

The neck just simply doesn't seem to sit flush in the neck pocket. I put in a cheapo shim to raise the action but only then realized that the action on the bass side was really high and that's when I saw the gap between the neck and the body. Even without the cheapo shim it still stays like that, before you ask.

I uploaded pictures of it here:
https://imgur.com/a/jGLnEV5

First pic is the neck with the screws in, second is without the screws. It just doesn't seem to sit flush with the neck at all. I tried screwing everything tight in except for that screw but no cigar. Would this be an issue that one of those fancy-ass StewMac full pocket shims could solve?
Love and hate were in the air like pollen from a flower.
--------------------------------------------------
https://shutupjam.bandcamp.com/

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier JM neck doesn't sit properly in pocket

Post by timtam » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:36 am

With the neck off, do the neck screws pass easily through the body holes ? They should - there should be no engagement between screw and body wood. The holes should be just big enough for the screws to pass easily.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:59 am

The neck is binding in the pocket. Sand or scrape the excess finish that appears to be dripping into the pocket, also make sure the pickguard is not preventing the neck from seating. It can be a snug fit but even slightly less than snug is fine, don’t try to close the gap with the neck screws that could lead to worse issues. You can work with readily available tools: nail file , emery board, medium or fine sandpaper if you don’t have much kit. Take your time and test fit alot, easy fix.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Could be a few things including a warped neck - first off I’d try taking it back for an exchange if that’s possible.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:01 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Scout here. If you look at the neck heel, there's an area where the finish is worn away (from presumably the back of the pocket) and an area in the front where the paint has come off on the guitar. I suppose it's possible that issues like this happen from sloppiness in the factory (i.e. installing the neck before paint is dry), but I don't think I've ever seen either of those two things happen on any of my guitars.

With that being said, I don't think I'd necessarily do a DIY job without some experience under my belt. I'd personally take it to a local guitar shop and just ask for a quick 2-minute assessment. Either they recommend sending it back, or they say that they can fix it for some small amount of money. Then get with CME and see what they recommend that you do (e.g. they either say send it back, or agree to refund you the amount of the local repair).

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have experience sanding so I'm gonna sand the neck pocket sides because indeed it's a super snug fit. The scratch/missing finish in the heel is actuallyfrom the pickguard being sharp on that end (youch!) which I have just finished sanding.
If it doesn't seem to alleviate the issue I'll take it to a luthier. I actually got this guitar from Anderton's (sorry I figured this wouldn't really matter and typing CME in was easier) so sending it back to them seems like a PITA and I dunno if anybody was around to see my thread about how I originally got it shipped with a Stratocaster neck in it, I'm not aching to have to call Anderton's customer service again to have them deal with my shit after they already dealt with my shit once.
If the sanding thing doesn't work I'll take it to a local luthier who specializes in Fenders (not offsets though lmao) and I'll have him help me out. I'll keep you posted!

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:46 pm

Ah, yes, I do remember seeing that thread (at least you got a new neck!). The pickguard thing makes sense with the scratching. Have you tried fitting it in after just sanding the pickguard? Sometimes a pickguard can inhibit a neck from sitting in the pocket correctly. Because of that, I usually install a neck with the pickguard unscrewed, and I deal with any misalignments in the pickguard screws afterward.

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:30 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:36 am
With the neck off, do the neck screws pass easily through the body holes ? They should - there should be no engagement between screw and body wood. The holes should be just big enough for the screws to pass easily.
yeah they pass through no issue, barely any treading, like most fenders i own
alexpigment wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:46 pm
Ah, yes, I do remember seeing that thread (at least you got a new neck!). The pickguard thing makes sense with the scratching. Have you tried fitting it in after just sanding the pickguard? Sometimes a pickguard can inhibit a neck from sitting in the pocket correctly. Because of that, I usually install a neck with the pickguard unscrewed, and I deal with any misalignments in the pickguard screws afterward.
yeah the pickguard was the first thing i checked and cleared as i've had issues with that as well but it fits perfect, not too snug not too off
i don't got my phone charged right now but i sanded the whole pocket sides pretty and it fits good now, but the problem persits
one thing i do realize now that the pocket is sanded though is that the neck doesn't begin to lift until i screw it in, i screwed both of the screws on the opposite side in to test it out and it stayed flush, then the one closest to the body and it stayed flush, but when i did the bad one it started going up
i figure it's an issue with the hole in the neck?

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 pm

Put some masking tape over each of the neck holes, fit the neck in place, and use the screws to leave marks in the tape, revealing whether or not the screws are perfectly centered in their intended holes. Given that this is a replacement neck, they might not be.

If they are, give some more attention to the holes through the body and perhaps drill them out just slightly, just barely. Just enough to make not just sure but Damn Sure they aren't allowing the screws' threads to find purchase in them in the least. Your symptoms appear exactly like what happens when you try to screw one piece of wood to another from the top (like a deck board.)

Lobsterdeth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lobsterdeth » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:50 pm

I fixed it! Thank you all so much for the help, couldn't have done it without you.
It seems it was a plethora of issues; the too-tight neck pocket with all the paint in it, the pickguard being too snug a fit around the neck as well, and above all one of the screw holes in the neck was like a 16th of an inch too shallow, I just drilled it a bit further in and it went in perfect.
Thanks again everbody. And remember: Don't flip your cool color Squiers for 800 bucks on Reverb that shit's just crazy.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:30 am

I knew you could do it :)