Duo Sonic wiring: all the options!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
lawzenge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Duo Sonic wiring: all the options!

Post by lawzenge » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:49 am

I have a Player Series Duo Sonic incoming and am itching to try my hand at some wiring mods. I want to have out of phase and series wiring as options and anything that can be possible with the two pickups. I’m hoping this can be done with two push pull pots? Which ones would work?

Has anyone done this before and can share a schematic? I’d prefer not to drill any new holes.

Also, could I do this with two Fender S1 Telecaster pots? I figure it would be a nice to have feature but push pull pots are good.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Duo Sonic wiring: all the options!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:02 am

Don't forget about push-push pots too! I have a pair of those for my buddy's guitar I'm rebuilding for him. I bought them by accident, but they are spring-loaded and I quite like them a lot. If you use push-pull or push-push pots, you won't need to do any drilling.

As for the wiring, it can definitely be done. I've designed some circuits with one, the other, and both from time-to-time. I always wire up the neck pickup for out-of-phase. The thing is, you will always have a dead spot if you use a separate switch for series-parallel switching. If you change the pickup selector to a rotary type, you can add series to that, and have no dead spots, but that's just a thought.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

lawzenge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lawzenge » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:05 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:02 am
Don't forget about push-push pots too! I have a pair of those for my buddy's guitar I'm rebuilding for him. I bought them by accident, but they are spring-loaded and I quite like them a lot. If you use push-pull or push-push pots, you won't need to do any drilling.

As for the wiring, it can definitely be done. I've designed some circuits with one, the other, and both from time-to-time. I always wire up the neck pickup for out-of-phase. The thing is, you will always have a dead spot if you use a separate switch for series-parallel switching. If you change the pickup selector to a rotary type, you can add series to that, and have no dead spots, but that's just a thought.
Would you have a wiring diagram handy for this? I can solder but am not sure what to solder to. I do plan to go with Push/Pull pots as I heard Push/Push don't live as long as Push/Pull. I would like to stick with using the pots for now and keeping the stock three way switch, if possible. Thank you!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:00 pm

lawzenge wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:05 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

Would you have a wiring diagram handy for this? I can solder but am not sure what to solder to. I do plan to go with Push/Pull pots as I heard Push/Push don't live as long as Push/Pull. I would like to stick with using the pots for now and keeping the stock three way switch, if possible. Thank you!
I might have a few minutes to draw something really quick up this weekend. I'll get back to you, most likely tomorrow.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

lawzenge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lawzenge » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:00 pm
lawzenge wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:05 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

I might have a few minutes to draw something really quick up this weekend. I'll get back to you, most likely tomorrow.
Thanks. I got the guitar in hand and am getting parts ready to install. Was thinking of getting these CTS 500K pots on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/CTS-Short-Shaft- ... 794&sr=8-2

Would these work with the wiring?