Help/Frustrated With Small Parts

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MBM218
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Help/Frustrated With Small Parts

Post by MBM218 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Hello!

I just bought a Fender Player Jazzmaster from CME. The black CME exclusive with matching headstock etc etc.
It came with the "6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable" bridge and believe it or not, I love it and don't think I will replace it. It needed some setup once it arrived and one of the intonation screws is stripped on the head. The angle and tool I used were both awkward and I'd like to replace just that screw and not the whole bridge obviously.
My question is, can anyone tell me the type of screw I need from say, a hardware store or if there is a place online that sells them? I have found a few parts places but they stress that its for American bridges and I want to match the hole/threading and dont want to chance it. I am also fine with replacing the whole saddle if I can find a matching single.

I know this is tedious but thanks in advance.

Riff on,
M
Keep on selling cocaine to angels.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help/Frustrated With Small Parts

Post by alexpigment » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:47 pm

Most American bridges use 4-40 screws for intonation. I'm looking at mine and it looks to be about 5/8" in length. I would *bet* that CME/Fender didn't reinvent the wheel to make a new MIM-specific part here, so it's probably just the USA vintage bridge. Do you have a hardware store nearby where you can take one of the screws and use their screw-identifier kiosks to confirm? I'm talking about those little stations that they have at Home Depot or Ace where they have holes that you can test your screws in to identify them.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:59 pm

You can also bring one of the screws and see what size nut fits it if they don't have the kiosk to screw it in to.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

MBM218
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MBM218 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:12 pm

Thanks for the input! I was thinking the same on the 4-40 but you never know. Yeah I have an Ace, Lowes and Home Depot all nearby. If it doesnt fit I'm only out the cost of a screw...under a buck.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:39 pm

I would get a full set so all the screws match. That way you don’t end up with one different screw standing out.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

MBM218
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MBM218 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:02 pm

great idea

Professor Bill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Bill » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:00 am

I've had good luck with Monsterbolts.com. They stock preselected kits in both US and metric sizes. And they also have various lengths, if you're also trying to deal with intonation screws which extend too far above the saddles. The only thing that might not be ideal is that all of their intonation screws are, I think, stainless, which might not match your finish. But perhaps that's not an issue.

They are not too expensive and shipping is quick.

I also have a variety of leftover screws in both metric and US threading and various lengths. If you want to direct message me, I'd be happy to help you sort out what you want and send you a couple of my spares.