Really Simple Question - Sorry!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Really Simple Question - Sorry!

Post by timiscott » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:32 am

I have two really simple questions I hope someone can answer.

Firstly, I got a 2021 MIJ Jaguar that came with 9's on it. If I change it to 10 gauge is it likely to need any setting up at all? The trem works brilliantly at the moment and I don't want to mess with that!

Secondly, I've got an MIJ Jazzmaster with a trem unit that's much tighter than any of my others. Can I fix that using the screw on the plate? Also, if I do that, will there be any repercussions ?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Really Simple Question - Sorry!

Post by JSett » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:08 am

timiscott wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:32 am
I have two really simple questions I hope someone can answer.

Firstly, I got a 2021 MIJ Jaguar that came with 9's on it. If I change it to 10 gauge is it likely to need any setting up at all? The trem works brilliantly at the moment and I don't want to mess with that!

Secondly, I've got an MIJ Jazzmaster with a trem unit that's much tighter than any of my others. Can I fix that using the screw on the plate? Also, if I do that, will there be any repercussions ?
Going from 9s to 10s will likely result in a slightly higher action thanks to higher tension on the neck and mild differences in the intonation. It will, however, play better. I personally wouldn’t use anything lower than a set of 11s on a Jaguar though…the shorter scale will make them feel more like a gauge lower as it happens. It would be a perfect opportunity to learn how to set up your Jaguar yourself anyway and will get it all the more familiar to you as a whole - nothing teaches you more about your instrument quite like getting actually into it with the tools! Plus the sense of satisfaction of doing it yourself.

(Apologies if you know more than I am assuming here…your questions read a bit like slight inexperience but I’m sorry if I’m reading that wrong)

And yes, the screw by the lock button tightens and loosens the vibrato screw, adjust to taste - but be wary of undoing it too far as you can get to the point where the retaining piece falls off inside and you’ll have to take it all off to reattach it. Not hard to do, just really annoying :D

Hope this helps.
Last edited by JSett on Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:50 am

That does help. I've been playing for years but try not to touch anything I don't have to! It's a lovely new guitar and it plays really well so I don't want to screw around with it much. My other Jaguars & JMs are strung with 10's so it doesn't feel quite right... On the whole, I'm not keen on11's. I think that they make sense of Jaguars and JMs - they even look better - but they're not for me. Really helpful info though - thank you!

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:18 am

String guage changes tension so neck relief, as well as intonation are the main thing.
BUT since thats not super-precise and you say its newly acquired then doing everything is a good idea, getting it to where you want it. Certainly presume a guitar isnt set up out the factory, and even if the shop did it its not necessarily done very well.

The trem screw is tension. They vary between guitar, and with string guage but its a matter of finding where it suits with a few tweaks.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:10 am

Cheers for that. I'm surprised how well it plays straight from the box, but I've never had issues with new MIJ or US stuff (touch wood). There's bit of bridge rattle but it seems to be the occasional grub screw moving about - which I can see and put back in place. If it gets any worse, I might take it in though...Fingers crossed!