Classic Player Jazzmaster replacement nut

For help with setups and other technical issues.
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Classic Player Jazzmaster replacement nut

Post by burpgun » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:09 am

Hi. I need to replace the nut on my Classic Player Jazzmaster with rosewood board. Somehow the G string cracked right through the nut! Usually I'd hire someone to do this work but in my neck of NYC all the repair shops are massively backed up and it will take weeks or longer to do the work.

So my question is: Any recommendations for a nut? I'm also not sure how to remove the old one without causing damage. I'm sure I'll have to do some fine tuning once it's in, but seems like as good a time as any to learn how to do this.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Classic Player Jazzmaster replacement nut

Post by ChrisDesign » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:15 am

Get a graphtech nut delivered. This one should work as the classic player as a 42mm nut: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/GraphTech-PT ... B01JJP8GSE

With a small hammer, tap the old nut backwards and then out of the slot. Try to protect the next from missed blows with something, even masking tape.

Go to the store and buy some sandpaper, multiple grades. Lay the sandpaper on the fretboard (rough side up) and use that to sand in the radius (if the base of the nut is curved. If it’s flat, skip that step, you will need to sand flat next time).

Put the nut in the slot. You may need to sand off some of the back to make it fit. Fit the low and high e strings. Tune up.

Buy some feeler gauges: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Luthi ... B0885XS452

With some feeler gauges, ensure the low E is 0.36mm between the bottom of the string and first fret (when strings are unfretted). Ensure the high e is 0.5mm gap. Sand down on fretboard or flat surface accordingly.

Sand lightly, it’s better to be higher than lower.

I use the black nuts because the white ones go a weird brown colour in a few weeks; it’s ugly.

Fix the nut in place with a tiny dab of wood glue.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain