Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Mustang Bridge setup help plse

For help with setups and other technical issues.
csimic23
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Mustang Bridge setup help plse

Post by csimic23 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:13 am

Hi
Mike from Australia 🇦🇺 here thanks for the add.
I am looking for the setup specifications for the vintage tremolo on the above Mustang. I am mainly interested in the adjustment to the cigar like tail piece. What height should it be?

Is the string height 1.5mm correct, measurement made between the 12th fret and the lowest part of the string?

I am putting new pups in her and new pots, cap etc. any help with wiring mods welcome.

Cheers

Mike

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Mustang Bridge setup help plse

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:51 am

Hello and welcome!

The Mustang trem is a fiddly beast but once set up can be a great system.

The height of the cigar affects the leverage the strings exert on the springs, and is dependent on where the springs are set (there are two or three notches so the spring tension can be adjusted a bit) and the string tension (dependent on gauge). So there isn’t really a spec height measurement in mm.

I aim to have it set so that the cigar sits vertical or just leaning back a bit.

This is a pretty good guide to set up - https://forum.seymourduncan.com/forum/ ... etup-guide

Be aware that you shouldn’t adjust the cigar up and down when the strings are under tension else you might chew up the edge on the pivot. That means there is a lot of tuning down and up involved in setting one up. I probably spent an afternoon doing my Vintera, but once it’s there you don’t need to go back to it regularly.

Good luck!
All the cheeses....