Pawn Shop Mustang Special: Pickup Selector Switch Replacement?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
lawzenge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pawn Shop Mustang Special: Pickup Selector Switch Replacement?

Post by lawzenge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:18 am

I have a Pawn Shop Mustang Special that has a sticky pickup selector switch I am looking to replace. I thought I could use the one that the Jazzmaster uses but the lugs are different on the Mustang. Could I still use the Jazzmaster switch? How would I wire it or is there a Mustang Special replacement?

Here are photos of the Mustang Special Switch and Jazzmaster for comparison: https://imgur.com/a/k5PWwhN

JohnWainwright
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Pawn Shop Mustang Special: Pickup Selector Switch Replacement?

Post by JohnWainwright » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:09 pm

Yes, you'd connect that switch exactly the same - it's just that the two outer lugs are further "up" on the frame on the Mustang switch than they are on the JM switch. They're mechanically the same though.

Your thicker white wire will still go to those two "inner" lugs which are bent together to create one lug. (That's the "out" - most likely to a master volume.)

The thinner white wire (Bridge "in") and the red wire (Neck "in") will go to the "outer" lugs just like they do now - just a bit lower down on the other switch.

The black wires (The singular black wire, and also the black from the 3-conductor red/white/black cable) will still go to that single thicker lug at the bottom in the middle. (Ground.)
---
jw

lawzenge
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Pawn Shop Mustang Special: Pickup Selector Switch Replacement?

Post by lawzenge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:53 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. I will give that a shot!