Blend pot for the rhythm circuit position?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Blend pot for the rhythm circuit position?

Post by gibs » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:50 pm

I’m pretty sure the answer is no, but has anyone come across a roller pot that would fit into the rhythm circuit bracket without modification? I did find a bourns mini blend pot, but I’m pretty sure the the shaft is still bigger than a typically roller pot shaft. I suppose I could modify the bracket and roller to accommodate but not sure I want to do that just yet.

Basically. I want to use the rhythm circuit so that when the switch is in the up position, the pickups are in series and have a master volume and blend control, bypassing the toggle switch and lead controls. Then I can vary the signal strength of each pickup. I found a wiring diagram for a Tele that’s similar to what I want to do, so I think it’s possible, would probably need a 3pdt or 4 per slide switch to do it, but that should be reasonable.

JohnWainwright
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Blend pot for the rhythm circuit position?

Post by JohnWainwright » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:54 pm

Actually, it's entirely....possible.

I custom-mod pots a LOT, including modifications on the mini roller pots for Jags/JMs. I've never done one with a blender before (never come up), and I'm out of the CTS blenders at the moment - but I have more coming next week. From my best recollection of how those are constructed - it's possible that it can be modified to have a roller pot mounting collar and shaft.

You would definitely have to do a little routing on the guitar body, to accommodate the increased physical length of the balance/blender pot - which is a bit more than double that of a standard mini pot - but so long as you've got enough room below the bracket of whatever model you're dealing with without hitting something important - in theory, it would work.

I have more blender pots coming next week, and you've got my curiosity piqued - so I'ma tear one apart as soon as they come in and see if it could be modded to have a roller stem. I'll get back with you.

---
jw

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:53 am

Awesome, thank you!

JohnWainwright
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JohnWainwright » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Ok so...it is definitely possible to mod a 250k or 500k CTS Mini Balance/Blend pot with center-detent to have a Jag/JM roller pot shaft and mounting collar.

That said, I mod a variety of pots at least weekly and sometimes daily to come up with pots that otherwise "don't exist" - typically full-size concentric or push-pull pots with unavailable values like no-loads or reverse-audio/lefty taper, etc., but I do a lot of the mini roller pots as well. This one was definitely more involved than the typical mod.

Modifying a standard CTS mini "roller pot" (typically only available as a linear 50k, 100k, or 1meg) into an audio taper 250k or 500k is relatively trivial. This one wasn't rocket surgery or anything, but it definitely wasn't trivial.

Some mods are easily shown with photos and a bit of textual instruction - but some (like this one) would be best with a video walkthrough. I was planning on doing a series of videos on how to mod full-size concentric and push-pull pots, and I was going to add a video for roller pots for the Jag/JM peeps too. I'll add a chapter for "super oddball" mods such as this one. I'm hoping to put those up on the YooToobs this weekend.

If you're not interested in DIY'ing one yourself, probably best to PM me as I don't want to run afoul of any rules.

As for fitment in a Jag/JM - given that it's a stacked pot, it'll hang down below the bracket an additional 10mm beyond a standard mini roller pot. So you'll just need to make sure you have the clearance in the cavity and/or it's not going to hit something important. Other than that - it'll drop right in - same collar/shaft as a standard roller pot.

---
jw

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am

Be aware that any volume controls in series will control all pickups at once. The only way around it would be to place a variable resistor in parallel with each pickup afaik

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:50 am

JohnWainwright wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:53 pm
Ok, now that is just plain cool. Haven't seen anyone modding pots on OSG before. Great work. Can't believe you went from, "hmm, that should be possible" to, "here it is!" so quickly.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:49 pm

JohnWainwright wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:53 pm
Ok so...it is definitely possible to mod a 250k or 500k CTS Mini Balance/Blend pot with center-detent to have a Jag/JM roller pot shaft and mounting collar.

That said, I mod a variety of pots at least weekly and sometimes daily to come up with pots that otherwise "don't exist" - typically full-size concentric or push-pull pots with unavailable values like no-loads or reverse-audio/lefty taper, etc., but I do a lot of the mini roller pots as well. This one was definitely more involved than the typical mod.

Modifying a standard CTS mini "roller pot" (typically only available as a linear 50k, 100k, or 1meg) into an audio taper 250k or 500k is relatively trivial. This one wasn't rocket surgery or anything, but it definitely wasn't trivial.

Some mods are easily shown with photos and a bit of textual instruction - but some (like this one) would be best with a video walkthrough. I was planning on doing a series of videos on how to mod full-size concentric and push-pull pots, and I was going to add a video for roller pots for the Jag/JM peeps too. I'll add a chapter for "super oddball" mods such as this one. I'm hoping to put those up on the YooToobs this weekend.

If you're not interested in DIY'ing one yourself, probably best to PM me as I don't want to run afoul of any rules.

As for fitment in a Jag/JM - given that it's a stacked pot, it'll hang down below the bracket an additional 10mm beyond a standard mini roller pot. So you'll just need to make sure you have the clearance in the cavity and/or it's not going to hit something important. Other than that - it'll drop right in - same collar/shaft as a standard roller pot.

Did you get a chance to make a video for this DIY? Really curious how easy it is to do.